• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

On Monday Gemini had his dental and I am so glad I did not wait until he went off his food entirely. The vet informed he had points on the tongue side of ten of his lower teeth (five on each side). Even though he did not have any ulcers, the vet saw some redness which explains why he was eating in slow motion even with Medicam.. He is on a hearty dose of Medicam. He has been given fluids and syringe feed to supplement his meager eating and drinking since he has been home. This has helped his poo and pee to be normal so I know everything is working as it should. He is starting to eat only a couple of greens and a few strands of hay; so I am looking forward to him improving each day as he gets accustomed to the change in his teeth. I do not want to think about his long term prognosis until time reveals more facts.

Gemini and I would appreciate any positive vibes you can spare.

I hope that his eating will improve now that his sharp molars have been sorted out. Did the Vet take any skull radiographs to see what his tooth roots are like ?

On Monday Gemini had his dental and I am so glad I did not wait until he went off his food entirely. The vet informed he had points on the tongue side of ten of his lower teeth (five on each side). Even though he did not have any ulcers, the vet saw some redness which explains why he was eating in slow motion even with Medicam.. He is on a hearty dose of Medicam. He has been given fluids and syringe feed to supplement his meager eating and drinking since he has been home. This has helped his poo and pee to be normal so I know everything is working as it should. He is starting to eat only a couple of greens and a few strands of hay; so I am looking forward to him improving each day as he gets accustomed to the change in his teeth. I do not want to think about his long term prognosis until time reveals more facts.

Gemini and I would appreciate any positive vibes you can spare.

Sorry to hear about the sharp spurs, but glad that he had his dental when he did! You were absolutely right to pre-empt that :)

I hope his eating picks up very soon.

I hope that his eating will improve now that his sharp molars have been sorted out. Did the Vet take any skull radiographs to see what his tooth roots are like ?

He is eating better than before, but still not devouring food as quickly as my other bunnies. At this point, I am not sure if it is a habit he developed from the discomfort of the points or if this is something that will improve. He does seem to be eating enough to maintain his weight and I will verify that when he gets weighed in a couple days.

The vet did not take radiographs because it appeared like the points were the source of his discomfort.

Sorry to hear about the sharp spurs, but glad that he had his dental when he did! You were absolutely right to pre-empt that :)

I hope his eating picks up very soon.

He is eating on his own at a better rate than before his procedure; even though he still eats very slow. I stopped syringe feeding entirely so I know he is eating enough on his own to maintain his weight and condition. He also is drinking on his own so I have discontinued his sub Q fluids for now. He is still getting Medicam once a day (he was on twice a day for the first few days).

He is eating better than before, but still not devouring food as quickly as my other bunnies. At this point, I am not sure if it is a habit he developed from the discomfort of the points or if this is something that will improve. He does seem to be eating enough to maintain his weight and I will verify that when he gets weighed in a couple days.

The vet did not take radiographs because it appeared like the points were the source of his discomfort.

If there were to be any tooth root problems aswell as problems with the crowns then post Dental discomfort can continue for longer than might otherwise be expected. So the Rabbit may eat, but still more slowly and with less enthusiasm than usual. Increased analgesic cover for a limited time would be one option in such cases.

Sending some extra vibes for him xx

He is eating on his own at a better rate than before his procedure; even though he still eats very slow. I stopped syringe feeding entirely so I know he is eating enough on his own to maintain his weight and condition. He also is drinking on his own so I have discontinued his sub Q fluids for now. He is still getting Medicam once a day (he was on twice a day for the first few days).

I'm glad to hear that he is eating on his own now. I've often found that buns with dental issues eat more slowly, especially as time goes on (even with dentals) as the teeth increasingly 'don't meet' together in the way they did. Once spurs occur it seems to encourage them to grow slightly differently over time.

Not sure if that makes sense and it may not apply in your case. Either way, I am glad things seem to be going well :)

Glad to hear he is through the dental and that it has helped with his eating - a relief to have that behind you :)

If there were to be any tooth root problems aswell as problems with the crowns then post Dental discomfort can continue for longer than might otherwise be expected. So the Rabbit may eat, but still more slowly and with less enthusiasm than usual. Increased analgesic cover for a limited time would be one option in such cases.

Sending some extra vibes for him xx

Hello Jane,

What you say may be possible. I never got him off the Medicam after his last dental, even though I was able to give him a bit less until a few weeks before his latest dental. He is eating his pellets better than he has for a long time, even though he does it in slow motion. His weigh in mid week showed his weight was down a little bit which could be solely the result of his being so poorly the day or his dental and another day or two after. When I weigh him again in a few days I expect he will be well.
As far as the X-rays on his roots, I'll definitely have it done at his next dental or sooner, if necessary.

Hello Jane,

What you say may be possible. I never got him off the Medicam after his last dental, even though I was able to give him a bit less until a few weeks before his latest dental. He is eating his pellets better than he has for a long time, even though he does it in slow motion. His weigh in mid week showed his weight was down a little bit which could be solely the result of his being so poorly the day or his dental and another day or two after. When I weigh him again in a few days I expect he will be well.
As far as the X-rays on his roots, I'll definitely have it done at his next dental or sooner, if necessary.

I can understand this being informative, but my vet doesn't do dental X-rays as she reckons that it doesn't alter any of her treatment options.

I'm glad to hear that he is eating on his own now. I've often found that buns with dental issues eat more slowly, especially as time goes on (even with dentals) as the teeth increasingly 'don't meet' together in the way they did. Once spurs occur it seems to encourage them to grow slightly differently over time.

Not sure if that makes sense and it may not apply in your case. Either way, I am glad things seem to be going well :)

Gemini was almost four years old before he needed his first dental, and only a few months later he needed another one. It does make me ponder why his issue was not more evident previously.
I am hoping this dental will last longer than the last one--if it is possible to get the tops an bottoms to a sweet spot where they will wear better. Time will tell. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Glad to hear he is through the dental and that it has helped with his eating - a relief to have that behind you :)

Hi Griffski,

Gemini was not a happy bunny for a few days; yet he did not require syringe feeding and fluids for as long a period following this dental as he needed for his first dental. I suspect this is because his system was not in stasis and he was still taking softer foods prior to his dental. He still gets medicam and I am hoping I can slowly cut back on it to see how little I can give him without him having discomfort. He is such a sweet bunny. I hope your bunnies are doing well.

Hi Griffski,

Gemini was not a happy bunny for a few days; yet he did not require syringe feeding and fluids for as long a period following this dental as he needed for his first dental. I suspect this is because his system was not in stasis and he was still taking softer foods prior to his dental. He still gets medicam and I am hoping I can slowly cut back on it to see how little I can give him without him having discomfort. He is such a sweet bunny. I hope your bunnies are doing well.

Glad to hear Gemini doing well :) My two are great, thanks - Spartacus has had no stasis episodes since April .. the restrictive diet (as recommended by forum stars:)) has worked its magic ...

Glad to hear Gemini doing well :) My two are great, thanks - Spartacus has had no stasis episodes since April .. the restrictive diet (as recommended by forum stars:)) has worked its magic ...

I am glad your Spartacus is doing well with the diet modifications. From my own experience I know how hard it is to not give bunnies some of their favorite foods; yet once you see they do not have the awful discomfort from stasis it is much easier to deny them. My Dash can only get hay and greens, no pellets which he loves. If he sees me give a couple to his brother he give me the 'poor me' look.

This morning I saw that for the second day in a row my Gemini ate the spoonful of pellets I gave him the night before. He also ate all of his greens. He was also eating his hay. He got some fresh this morning (I feed by bunnies twice a day (or more). In the past few days I was delaying Gemini's s medicam dosage so he was getting it more than 24 hours apart; so today will be the first day I will not give him any at all. Fingers crossed!
Thank you all for your good thoughts.

This morning I saw that for the second day in a row my Gemini ate the spoonful of pellets I gave him the night before. He also ate all of his greens. He was also eating his hay. He got some fresh this morning (I feed by bunnies twice a day (or more). In the past few days I was delaying Gemini's s medicam dosage so he was getting it more than 24 hours apart; so today will be the first day I will not give him any at all. Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed, bunny momma. How did things work out? x

A very encouraging update :) Well done Gemini :love:

I am glad your Spartacus is doing well with the diet modifications. From my own experience I know how hard it is to not give bunnies some of their favorite foods; yet once you see they do not have the awful discomfort from stasis it is much easier to deny them. My Dash can only get hay and greens, no pellets which he loves. If he sees me give a couple to his brother he give me the 'poor me' look.

Hope Gemini keeps up the pellet eating :) lol re bunny emotional blackmail ..

Last edited:
Jane, MM, Omi, and Griffski,

I don't want to jinx myself; yet I am encouraged that Gemini has been off the Medicam for a week and he is still eating his pellets like he did before he had dental problems. It will be interesting to see how long he will be able to stay off the Medicam.

Jane, MM, Omi, and Griffski,

I don't want to jinx myself; yet I am encouraged that Gemini has been off the Medicam for a week and he is still eating his pellets like he did before he had dental problems. It will be interesting to see how long he will be able to stay off the Medicam.

Fingers crossed that he can remain free of discomfort for as long as possible now xx

Back