• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

Thanks to all for the good thoughts. He is being a wonderful patient with all the hand feedings, meds, jabs and fluids. Even so, I am looking forward to the day he will not need all of the medical care and he can go back to just being my sweet friendly Gemini.

Thanks to all for the good thoughts. He is being a wonderful patient with all the hand feedings, meds, jabs and fluids. Even so, I am looking forward to the day he will not need all of the medical care and he can go back to just being my sweet friendly Gemini.

I really hope that day will not be too far away now xx

It's very tiring. I almost forget when a bunny is ill that they were ever well and no trouble at all

More vibes for Gemini x

.. also topping up the vibes ... major brownie points for gemini being such an obliging patient ... makes a difference for you and says a lot about how much he trusts you (though i know good behaviour not always guaranteed even in that scenario :)).. hope it's not too long before he (and you !) are back to business as usual :)

I jinxed myself by boasting about my great patient. After giving him fluids multiple times a day for weeks, minutes before I was to leave for an appointment today he decided to bite the tubing as I was giving him fluids. His incisors are definitely not an issue because he almost had it bitten in two pieces. I had an extra set-up so I made the quick change and gave him the required amount of fluids.
I will make sure I pick up a couple of spare set-ups in case this is not a one time thing. I guess he was telling me to pay attention.

He was trained to be a show bunny by a 4H teenager until he was two years old and she could no longer keep him. He was adopted by my spouse almost two years ago as a present for me (and my spouse) and he is always such a good bunny.

Gemini had his dental today. The vet said he had significant dental disease on his lowers so he thinks the dental issues were the source of his problem so we did not need to do more testing at this time. Gemini is recovering well at the vets until my schedule pick up later this afternoon.

Gemini had his dental today. The vet said he had significant dental disease on his lowers so he thinks the dental issues were the source of his problem so we did not need to do more testing at this time. Gemini is recovering well at the vets until my schedule pick up later this afternoon.

Well I am glad that his Dental went well, but I am sorry that the findings were not great. I hope that his dental disease can be kept under control xx

I am glad he's had his dental, but sorry to hear that there's so much dental disease in his mouth. I know how this feels, and it's quite despondent.

Hugs for you xx

Well I am glad that his Dental went well, but I am sorry that the findings were not great. I hope that his dental disease can be kept under control xx
He is looking better after I called vet to get ok for increase in medicam for next day or two before going back to normal dose.He is nibbling parts of soft greens. I wonder how long it will be before he eats and drinks on his own.

I am glad he's had his dental, but sorry to hear that there's so much dental disease in his mouth. I know how this feels, and it's quite despondent.

Hugs for you xx
I need lots of numbing for even a filling ,so I know how Gemini must feel.
I hope this was his primary issue .

hoping post dental that Gemini feels a lot better and bounces back from this episode. sending recovery vibes :)
Thank you. He may need a head xray to check his teeth roots
His dental was ten days ago.He os eating greens better,yet only minimal hay nibbles and no pellets.
He is not dribbling critical care which he gets once a day to supplement his diet
Today is his fourth birthday.I hope your bunnies are doing well

His dental was ten days ago.He os eating greens better,yet only minimal hay nibbles and no pellets.
He is not dribbling critical care which he gets once a day to supplement his diet

Bless him, Happy Birthday Gemini :love:

Is he still on any meds now ?

Happy Birthday Gemini :wave:

Thank you for the good wishes for Gemini's birthday. He got a lot of extra carrot greens (he only eats the softest part, not the stems) in addition to plenty of his normal dandelion greens.
This weekend I tapered him off the metoclopramide. He is still on Medicam, Fluids to supplement his drinking (he is drinking better after his dental, but not his normal amount), and some syringe feeding to supplement his diet to maintain his weight (and to give him extra fiber to keep his guts moving).
I am sure he will approve of my going for an ice cream sundae to celebrate his birthday.

Thank you for the good wishes for Gemini's birthday. He got a lot of extra carrot greens (he only eats the softest part, not the stems) in addition to plenty of his normal dandelion greens.
This weekend I tapered him off the metoclopramide. He is still on Medicam, Fluids to supplement his drinking (he is drinking better after his dental, but not his normal amount), and some syringe feeding to supplement his diet to maintain his weight (and to give him extra fiber to keep his guts moving).
I am sure he will approve of my going for an ice cream sundae to celebrate his birthday.

:D

happy belated birthday to gemini :)

Thank you.
I spoke to the vet and we decided to up his medicam to see if it causes him to eat more hay and pellets. The vet also wanted to get an update on his weight to make sure he it is stable even with my providing Gemini with supplemental syringe feedings.
Yesterday I took him to the vets office for a quick weigh by the tech. The first weigh he was moving on the scale and a bit lighter than his last weigh two weeks earlier, so I asked the tech to do it again and each time we weighed him on the same scale he weighed a little bit less. At best he lost a couple ounces after his dental. I need to order the baby scale I planned to buy previously so I can monitor Gemini's weight weekly. It will also help me to control the weight of my girls who have good appetites and to monitor Dash and Evan who are only 1.5 lbs each as full grown Dwarfs in spite of eating more hay than bunnies two and three times their size.

How our your bunnies doing?

Thank you.
I spoke to the vet and we decided to up his medicam to see if it causes him to eat more hay and pellets. The vet also wanted to get an update on his weight to make sure he it is stable even with my providing Gemini with supplemental syringe feedings.
Yesterday I took him to the vets office for a quick weigh by the tech. The first weigh he was moving on the scale and a bit lighter than his last weigh two weeks earlier, so I asked the tech to do it again and each time we weighed him on the same scale he weighed a little bit less. At best he lost a couple ounces after his dental. I need to order the baby scale I planned to buy previously so I can monitor Gemini's weight weekly. It will also help me to control the weight of my girls who have good appetites and to monitor Dash and Evan who are only 1.5 lbs each as full grown Dwarfs in spite of eating more hay than bunnies two and three times their size.

How our your bunnies doing?

I try to weigh my 4 once a week as I have always found doing so to be a useful tool in overall monitoring of health. Although I have been accused of being neurotic for doing it. I bought a relatively cheap set of digital baby scales from Ebay over 10 years ago and they are still serving us well. So money well spent I think.

Hopefully all of your Bunnies will remain as well as possible now. It can be so stressful to have ongoing worries about several of our Bunny friends x

Back