• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

Thank you.
I spoke to the vet and we decided to up his medicam to see if it causes him to eat more hay and pellets. The vet also wanted to get an update on his weight to make sure he it is stable even with my providing Gemini with supplemental syringe feedings.
Yesterday I took him to the vets office for a quick weigh by the tech. The first weigh he was moving on the scale and a bit lighter than his last weigh two weeks earlier, so I asked the tech to do it again and each time we weighed him on the same scale he weighed a little bit less. At best he lost a couple ounces after his dental. I need to order the baby scale I planned to buy previously so I can monitor Gemini's weight weekly. It will also help me to control the weight of my girls who have good appetites and to monitor Dash and Evan who are only 1.5 lbs each as full grown Dwarfs in spite of eating more hay than bunnies two and three times their size.

How our your bunnies doing?

This is what I do :thumb:

I have a poorly rabbit at the moment, who has lost shed loads of weight. I use a jute bag and weighed that, and then put him in it. I found that like Gemini, he moved around and I couldn't get an accurate weight. Using the bag makes it easier, quicker, and he doesn't move much.

Vibes for Gemini x

My new baby scale arrived on Monday and I weighed my entire bunny family. Gemini sat well the first two times, then I moved the scale to other areas of the floor and weighed him a few more times to see if it made of a difference and he decided he had enough for one day and jumped into my arms. I like that I can put a small towel on the scale and tare it back to zero so I just get his weight and not that of the towel.

With the increased Medicam and dosing twice a day he is eating more of his pellets, yet is not always consistent. Now I am trying to slowly reduce the dosage (with vets OK) to see how little I can give him and still have good results. He was never a big hay eater, and since his illness he eats very little hay (he does enjoy pulling it out of his hay rack and shorting the strands. He still gets extra fluids and supplemental feedings which I will reduce once I confirm his weight will remain stable and he (and his poo) will remain hydrated.

Thank you for your good thoughts. He is such a good bunny I don't know how all that love fits into three pounds of love.

hi bunny momma - it's- been a long haul for you both but good to hear gemini's eating more - sending vibes for more consistent appetite :)

hi bunny momma - it's- been a long haul for you both but good to hear gemini's eating more - sending vibes for more consistent appetite :)

Thank you. I stopped all supplemental feeding for the past four days to see if he will maintain his weight on his own when I weigh him later today. He is still getting supplemental fluids which I may be able to stop now that he is drinking better most days. While he is on twice a day Medicam he is eating more pellets, but not as much as before his dental problems and dental. I spoke to vet about possible extractions and he explained the anatomy, success rate and risks for Gemini. So I am hoping the Medicam will keep him eating and drinking so he does not experience another gut shutdown.
Fingers crossed for a good weigh in.

fingers crossed here too.. hope he is putting on some weight:)

His last weigh has him maintaining his weight without my having to give him extra feedings. He still gets Medicam and he is a slow eater; yet I am glad he is eating his pellets, his greens, and also some hay.
It has been a long road to get him to this point so I am reluctant to stress him with another follow up visit to the vets. A few days ago I was shredding some documents and he decided to have some fun chewing some nearby newspapers.
He is such a good bunny.

hi - yes - crixus and spartacus are doing really well thanks - no stasis episodes for 3 months now - finally have a diet in place that works well for them (and me). The new turf (25 square metres) didn't last long though:(

Gemini is going through a huge moult, so I am removing a lot of loose fur before it can be ingested and am watching his input and output a few times a day. The pile of fur I removed in the past week is huge and there is more to come. I saw a couple small droppings, but he also is making a lot of nice ones still. Today I weighed him and he is maintaining his weight well so that is a plus. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed the he will remain stable.

Gemini is going through a huge moult, so I am removing a lot of loose fur before it can be ingested and am watching his input and output a few times a day. The pile of fur I removed in the past week is huge and there is more to come. I saw a couple small droppings, but he also is making a lot of nice ones still. Today I weighed him and he is maintaining his weight well so that is a plus. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed the he will remain stable.

I am glad to hear that he is stable at the moment. He's lucky to have you to care for him :love:

So glad to hear this update. Maintaining weight is sometimes an ongoing battle - he's lucky to have you fighting with him :D

I am glad to hear that he is stable at the moment. He's lucky to have you to care for him :love:

Thanks Jane. He is eating his greens and some hay, but it looks like he may be eating only half of his normal amount of pellets. I plan on giving him a lot of extra greens to keep his guts hydrated and moving. I don't want to give motility drugs until he actually needs them.

So glad to hear this update. Maintaining weight is sometimes an ongoing battle - he's lucky to have you fighting with him :D
I am glad I got the scale. It revealed my spouse was sneaking one of my other bunnies extra pellets. At least my spouse honored my request that Gemini not get anything I do not know about so I can tell how much of his greens/hay or pellets he is eating and if he is drinking enough for his guts to stay adequately hydrated.

I am glad I got the scale. It revealed my spouse was sneaking one of my other bunnies extra pellets. At least my spouse honored my request that Gemini not get anything I do not know about so I can tell how much of his greens/hay or pellets he is eating and if he is drinking enough for his guts to stay adequately hydrated.

You just can't get the staff these days! :)

Gemini was eating about a quarter less over the last couple days so I decided to give him a dose of motility drugs. He is stilling eating his hay and greens. I have more greens washed and ready to give him after he eats most of the latest batch. With his dental issues, he is a slow eater even with Medicam, so the greens get wilted if I give him too many at once.
It does not look like he will finish this moult quickly; so I will have to be vigilant with his output/input for a while longer.

He is moulting less and stable so I was able to stop motility edrugs and sub q fluids.
He is eating what is normal for him. Tomorrow he will be weighed .

Back