Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81

Thread: Gemini Stasis-3rd bunny in three weeks not eating and stasis

  1. #21
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi there

    I've found the stuff in these articles (written by American Houserabbit Society) invaluable in cases like you're experiencing with Gemini:


    http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/


    http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html
    Thanks MM.

  2. #22
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Thanks MM.

    You're welcome x

  3. #23
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    126,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Thanks for the empathy and information. Gemini's illness did not come on as suddenly as Dash's or Raven's. He was moulting a lot a couple weeks ago and he was not eating as much hay. The vet said his cecum was doughy and contained a lot of material. The vet has me giving him many more sub Q fluids than I usually give along with both motility drugs, medicam, and critical care. Last evening he was worse then the prior two when he passed some close to normal poos prior to his system slowing and shutting down again. He seemed more comfortable after I gave him his medicam several hours early.
    Early this afternoon he drank water on his own for about a minute.

    In addition to Metacloprimide he is getting the Cisipride I had compounded for Dash. After giving the first couple doses of Cisipride, Gemini looked odd, especially his eyes. I spoke to the vet and we adjusted his dosage/schedule because I suspect he is either having a reaction or it is causing him discomfort. Perhaps you and others can share your experience on the use of Cisipride in rabbits.
    Cisapride increases motility in the lower GI tract so it is possible that it can cause some discomfort in a Rabbit with an impacted cecum. But this should be transient until the impacted matter moves through. Not nice for the Bunny of course, but it can be a sign that things are moving. Aggressive fluids (SQ or IV) and oral should help to rehydrate the impacted matter and make it easier to break down and pass out. The process can take several days though, as previously mentioned. I have also found it beneficial to give the imapacted Rabbit an osmotic laxative (Lactulose). This helps to draw water into the bowel to rehydrate the impaction. In the USA I think 'Lactulose' is branded as 'Constulose'. In cases of severe gut stasis/impaction Liver function can be compromised, Lactulose can also help to mop up the toxins that a compromised Liver may struggle to cope with.

    https://www.drugs.com/international/constulose.html

  4. #24
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    173

    Default

    hi bunny momma .. just wondered how Gemini's doing ... ?

  5. #25
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Cisapride increases motility in the lower GI tract so it is possible that it can cause some discomfort in a Rabbit with an impacted cecum. But this should be transient until the impacted matter moves through. Not nice for the Bunny of course, but it can be a sign that things are moving. Aggressive fluids (SQ or IV) and oral should help to rehydrate the impacted matter and make it easier to break down and pass out. The process can take several days though, as previously mentioned. I have also found it beneficial to give the imapacted Rabbit an osmotic laxative (Lactulose). This helps to draw water into the bowel to rehydrate the impaction. In the USA I think 'Lactulose' is branded as 'Constulose'. In cases of severe gut stasis/impaction Liver function can be compromised, Lactulose can also help to mop up the toxins that a compromised Liver may struggle to cope with.

    https://www.drugs.com/international/constulose.html
    Thank you for letting me know I was not wrong about the Cisapride causing Gemini some discomfort. He is still not eating or drinking on his own, although he did drink about an ounce in the last day and he nibbled a very, very small part of a green. I am seeing a small number of almost normal droppings mixed with smaller ones. The droppings are harder than they should be and I am sure it is the result of them not getting hydrated even though I have given him plenty of sub Q fluids supplemented by as many oral fluids as he will tolerate.
    He does seem to be tipping a bit to one side, especially his hindquarters. His gut was so full when he was at the vet last week it was not noticeable. I am a bit encouraged that his gut feels softer when I hold him. He really enjoys when I gently rub the side of his tummy, and I now know that is the reason I got a couple rare kisses.

    Thanks for the information on the Lactulose and the USA equivalent. He has a vet appointment in the morning so I will ask about adding that to his list of medications.

  6. #26
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
    hi bunny momma .. just wondered how Gemini's doing ... ?
    Thank you for asking. I hope Spartacus is clear of stasis too.
    He seems to be making some very slow progress. I included more details in my reply to Jack's Jane. I just have to be persistent and continue with the protocol so he starts eating and drinking on his own.
    He has an appointment in the morning, so I am anxious for the vets opinion on the gut sounds which were virtually nonexistent on Thursday, and how much progress we made on the amount of material in his system.

  7. #27
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Thank you for asking. I hope Spartacus is clear of stasis too.
    He seems to be making some very slow progress. I included more details in my reply to Jack's Jane. I just have to be persistent and continue with the protocol so he starts eating and drinking on his own.
    He has an appointment in the morning, so I am anxious for the vets opinion on the gut sounds which were virtually nonexistent on Thursday, and how much progress we made on the amount of material in his system.
    I'm glad to hear you're seeing some progress. Hoping for a positive vet visit and continuing recovery
    Spartacus and Crixus are doing fine, thanks, though household remains on DEFCON 4...

  8. #28
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
    I'm glad to hear you're seeing some progress. Hoping for a positive vet visit and continuing recovery
    Spartacus and Crixus are doing fine, thanks, though household remains on DEFCON 4...
    The vet agreed with me that Gemini has leaning to his left a bit, so he may have an inner ear issue. He was started on abx when I saw this on Friday, so vet told me to keep him on abx for two weeks. He is still not eating on his own other than a bite or two to taste something. He is getting Critical Care several times a day, and he took the last couple batches without much fuss. He remains on motility meds, medicam, and fluids too.

    It is good to know Spartacus and Crixus are doing fine. I certainly understand Defcon 4 (is there a 5?). After their GI issues a couple weeks ago, I am monitoring Raven and Dash several times a day. Add to that the fact that my Madelyn passed some fur in her poo on Sunday in spite of my daily grooming (she is a lionhead and some of the fur around her face is 2-3 inches long. Dash's brother, Evan, also began a serious moult in the past week. After grooming, his back has all the short, stubby, new fur; while the rest of him still is quite fuzzy.

  9. #29
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Gee .. poor wee Gemini .. but if vet thinks this is underlying cause and abx will sort perhaps things will move faster in positive direction ? I hope so Seems like this is a risky time of year with all the fur shedding that goes on .. hopefully that means we will both have an easier time of it soon (I think it's good that I still have hope )

  10. #30
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,297

    Default

    Sending more vibes for Gemini. You must be worn out

    I hope that the abx produces some improvement.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •