• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

Thanks for the empathy and information. Gemini's illness did not come on as suddenly as Dash's or Raven's. He was moulting a lot a couple weeks ago and he was not eating as much hay. The vet said his cecum was doughy and contained a lot of material. The vet has me giving him many more sub Q fluids than I usually give along with both motility drugs, medicam, and critical care. Last evening he was worse then the prior two when he passed some close to normal poos prior to his system slowing and shutting down again. He seemed more comfortable after I gave him his medicam several hours early.
Early this afternoon he drank water on his own for about a minute.

In addition to Metacloprimide he is getting the Cisipride I had compounded for Dash. After giving the first couple doses of Cisipride, Gemini looked odd, especially his eyes. I spoke to the vet and we adjusted his dosage/schedule because I suspect he is either having a reaction or it is causing him discomfort. Perhaps you and others can share your experience on the use of Cisipride in rabbits.

Cisapride increases motility in the lower GI tract so it is possible that it can cause some discomfort in a Rabbit with an impacted cecum. But this should be transient until the impacted matter moves through. Not nice for the Bunny of course, but it can be a sign that things are moving. Aggressive fluids (SQ or IV) and oral should help to rehydrate the impacted matter and make it easier to break down and pass out. The process can take several days though, as previously mentioned. I have also found it beneficial to give the imapacted Rabbit an osmotic laxative (Lactulose). This helps to draw water into the bowel to rehydrate the impaction. In the USA I think 'Lactulose' is branded as 'Constulose'. In cases of severe gut stasis/impaction Liver function can be compromised, Lactulose can also help to mop up the toxins that a compromised Liver may struggle to cope with.

https://www.drugs.com/international/constulose.html

Cisapride increases motility in the lower GI tract so it is possible that it can cause some discomfort in a Rabbit with an impacted cecum. But this should be transient until the impacted matter moves through. Not nice for the Bunny of course, but it can be a sign that things are moving. Aggressive fluids (SQ or IV) and oral should help to rehydrate the impacted matter and make it easier to break down and pass out. The process can take several days though, as previously mentioned. I have also found it beneficial to give the imapacted Rabbit an osmotic laxative (Lactulose). This helps to draw water into the bowel to rehydrate the impaction. In the USA I think 'Lactulose' is branded as 'Constulose'. In cases of severe gut stasis/impaction Liver function can be compromised, Lactulose can also help to mop up the toxins that a compromised Liver may struggle to cope with.

https://www.drugs.com/international/constulose.html

Thank you for letting me know I was not wrong about the Cisapride causing Gemini some discomfort. He is still not eating or drinking on his own, although he did drink about an ounce in the last day and he nibbled a very, very small part of a green. I am seeing a small number of almost normal droppings mixed with smaller ones. The droppings are harder than they should be and I am sure it is the result of them not getting hydrated even though I have given him plenty of sub Q fluids supplemented by as many oral fluids as he will tolerate.
He does seem to be tipping a bit to one side, especially his hindquarters. His gut was so full when he was at the vet last week it was not noticeable. I am a bit encouraged that his gut feels softer when I hold him. He really enjoys when I gently rub the side of his tummy, and I now know that is the reason I got a couple rare kisses.

Thanks for the information on the Lactulose and the USA equivalent. He has a vet appointment in the morning so I will ask about adding that to his list of medications.

hi bunny momma .. just wondered how Gemini's doing ... ?
Thank you for asking. I hope Spartacus is clear of stasis too.
He seems to be making some very slow progress. I included more details in my reply to Jack's Jane. I just have to be persistent and continue with the protocol so he starts eating and drinking on his own.
He has an appointment in the morning, so I am anxious for the vets opinion on the gut sounds which were virtually nonexistent on Thursday, and how much progress we made on the amount of material in his system.

Thank you for asking. I hope Spartacus is clear of stasis too.
He seems to be making some very slow progress. I included more details in my reply to Jack's Jane. I just have to be persistent and continue with the protocol so he starts eating and drinking on his own.
He has an appointment in the morning, so I am anxious for the vets opinion on the gut sounds which were virtually nonexistent on Thursday, and how much progress we made on the amount of material in his system.

I'm glad to hear you're seeing some progress. Hoping for a positive vet visit and continuing recovery:)
Spartacus and Crixus are doing fine, thanks, though household remains on DEFCON 4...

I'm glad to hear you're seeing some progress. Hoping for a positive vet visit and continuing recovery:)
Spartacus and Crixus are doing fine, thanks, though household remains on DEFCON 4...

The vet agreed with me that Gemini has leaning to his left a bit, so he may have an inner ear issue. He was started on abx when I saw this on Friday, so vet told me to keep him on abx for two weeks. He is still not eating on his own other than a bite or two to taste something. He is getting Critical Care several times a day, and he took the last couple batches without much fuss. He remains on motility meds, medicam, and fluids too.

It is good to know Spartacus and Crixus are doing fine. I certainly understand Defcon 4 (is there a 5?). After their GI issues a couple weeks ago, I am monitoring Raven and Dash several times a day. Add to that the fact that my Madelyn passed some fur in her poo on Sunday in spite of my daily grooming (she is a lionhead and some of the fur around her face is 2-3 inches long. Dash's brother, Evan, also began a serious moult in the past week. After grooming, his back has all the short, stubby, new fur; while the rest of him still is quite fuzzy.

Gee .. poor wee Gemini .. but if vet thinks this is underlying cause and abx will sort perhaps things will move faster in positive direction ? I hope so :) Seems like this is a risky time of year with all the fur shedding that goes on .. hopefully that means we will both have an easier time of it soon (I think it's good that I still have hope :))

Sending more vibes for Gemini. You must be worn out :(

I hope that the abx produces some improvement.

Gee .. poor wee Gemini .. but if vet thinks this is underlying cause and abx will sort perhaps things will move faster in positive direction ? I hope so :) Seems like this is a risky time of year with all the fur shedding that goes on .. hopefully that means we will both have an easier time of it soon (I think it's good that I still have hope :))

During the wee hours of Wednesday Gemini was eating small pieces of dandelion greens and carrot tops. Even though he took hours to eat what Dash can eat in a minute or two, I was still glad he was making slow progress. I made sure Gemini got more fresh greens all night and day so he could have a nibble now and then. He still looks lopsided after being on Baytril for six days, so I am not sure if it is working.
Thank you for giving me a more positive outlook.

Sending more vibes for Gemini. You must be worn out :(

I hope that the abx produces some improvement.
Thank you Omi. Housework is limited to essentials, so I have plenty of 'dust bunnies' everywhere I look. As I noted to my response to Griffski, I saw some improvement in Gemini when he began to nibble small amounts of greens during the past 24 hours. I am not sure how long I should wait to see improvement in his looking lopsided. He has been on Baytril for six days and the vet says to keep him on it for two weeks.

good to hear things a little better .. hope he continues to eat and other clinical signs start to resolve :)

During the wee hours of Friday he began to eat some hay and only about a teaspoon of pellets so I decided to wait on cisipride for 24 hours instead of 12. This morning he was feeling uncomfortable so I gave him cisipride again. He is passing material so this afternoon I gave him a bit more Medicam. He is more comfortable now and he feels less full.

Gemini has been a very good boy. Progress is slow with ups and downs. Yesterday and today he was more active and eating more on his own. I am supplementing with syringe feedings to maintain his weight. This morning I saw he drank some water too. He is pooing on a more regular basis, even though it still seems a bit small and dry. We are continuing sub Q fluids, but I have reduced the quantity He remains on abx and medicam. I am tapering off his motility drugs.

I am hoping he will continue to make progress and not have the morning setbacks I noticed on Friday and Saturday.

Gemini has been a very good boy. Progress is slow with ups and downs. Yesterday and today he was more active and eating more on his own. I am supplementing with syringe feedings to maintain his weight. This morning I saw he drank some water too. He is pooing on a more regular basis, even though it still seems a bit small and dry. We are continuing sub Q fluids, but I have reduced the quantity He remains on abx and medicam. I am tapering off his motility drugs.

I am hoping he will continue to make progress and not have the morning setbacks I noticed on Friday and Saturday.

This is good news :D

How is your health these days bunny momma?

Thank you for your PMs and I really hope that Gemini will continue to make progress now. Hopefully the other Rabbits are doing OK too ?

Back