Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

Quote Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
    Sending vibes for Gemini .. and for you ... what a tough few weeks ..
    Thank you for the vibes.
    Today is especially difficult because he seemed to improve yesterday evening before he went downhill again.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Sending loads of vibes for Gemini. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about Cisapride.

It is tempting to think that all three instances with your three rabbits are connected, but I don't really see how unless you have recently introduced something new into their diet. It would appear that the details of each rabbit's issues are slightly different too.
    Thank you for the dose of positivity. My stress level has me thinking about situations from long ago which did not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponymad21 View Post
    I don't know if you have it over there but protexin fibreplex I have found really good for rabbits with stasis! It's carrot flavoured 2/3 that I've given it to go mad for it, the other one doesn't like carrots.
    Thank you for your suggestion.

I never saw anything like that in any of the pet supply stores I frequent. I'll still check online to see if it is available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Thanks for the vibes.
    I just gave him more Critical Care and sub Q fluids. He made a few poos, but then they stopped again. He may have nibbled on a piece or two of his greens, but he is not eating any hay or pellets.
    Gemini is not due for his Metacloprimide and Cisapride until 3am. Does anyone know if I should be giving Cisapride should be given before or after I syringe feed Critical Care? I want to make sure he is getting the full benefit from the medication.

It doesn't matter which you give first - I checked this with my vet

Warren Scout

Thank you for your suggestion.

I never saw anything like that in any of the pet supply stores I frequent. I'll still check online to see if it is available to me.
    Here you can only get it from the vet or online, it's really high in fibre and had probiotics in it

Quote Originally Posted by Ponymad21 View Post
    Here you can only get it from the vet or online, it's really high in fibre and had probiotics in it
    Thank you for the information.

Today started like a repeat of yesterday morning. In the evening he makes some droppings that look almost normal looking in the evening and then they soon go back to being small and dry before stopping again. Since the protocol I followed from 7am to 7pm appeared to get results in the evening, I followed the same protocol/meds/feeding/fluids/dosing from 7pm to this morning at 6:30am.
    Something starts his system moving and then it stops again. I will try adjusting the schedule of his meds/feedings/fluids to see if the timing of his ups and downs changes too.
    This morning after I gave him fluids, he started to lick my wrist repeatedly. He never gave me kisses before, and my spouse said he was thanking me for all the care. I am more cynical and think I smelled like something good, like Heidi Bunny or Madelyn Bunny.
    He is getting something done ever 2-3 hours, so today my goal is to give him attention without any treatment so I can enjoy the bunny who was labeled 'friendly' when my spouse adopted him as my anniversary gift in 2015. He remains my best present ever.

Wise Old Thumper

Today started like a repeat of yesterday morning. In the evening he makes some droppings that look almost normal looking in the evening and then they soon go back to being small and dry before stopping again. Since the protocol I followed from 7am to 7pm appeared to get results in the evening, I followed the same protocol/meds/feeding/fluids/dosing from 7pm to this morning at 6:30am.
    Something starts his system moving and then it stops again. I will try adjusting the schedule of his meds/feedings/fluids to see if the timing of his ups and downs changes too.
    This morning after I gave him fluids, he started to lick my wrist repeatedly. He never gave me kisses before, and my spouse said he was thanking me for all the care. I am more cynical and think I smelled like something good, like Heidi Bunny or Madelyn Bunny.
    He is getting something done ever 2-3 hours, so today my goal is to give him attention without any treatment so I can enjoy the bunny who was labeled 'friendly' when my spouse adopted him as my anniversary gift in 2015. He remains my best present ever.
    Sorry to be late to this thread. It sounds as though Gemini is proving to be a big worry for you at the moment. If his cecum is sluggish/impacted it can take several days of ongoing and aggressive treatment before any real improvement occurs. Not sure if you have seen this info'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d..._Impaction.htm

Hi there

I've found the stuff in these articles (written by American Houserabbit Society) invaluable in cases like you're experiencing with Gemini:

http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Sorry to be late to this thread. It sounds as though Gemini is proving to be a big worry for you at the moment. If his cecum is sluggish/impacted it can take several days of ongoing and aggressive treatment before any real improvement occurs. Not sure if you have seen this info'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d..._Impaction.htm
    Thanks for the empathy and information. Gemini's illness did not come on as suddenly as Dash's or Raven's. He was moulting a lot a couple weeks ago and he was not eating as much hay. The vet said his cecum was doughy and contained a lot of material. The vet has me giving him many more sub Q fluids than I usually give along with both motility drugs, medicam, and critical care. Last evening he was worse then the prior two when he passed some close to normal poos prior to his system slowing and shutting down again. He seemed more comfortable after I gave him his medicam several hours early.
    Early this afternoon he drank water on his own for about a minute.

In addition to Metacloprimide he is getting the Cisipride I had compounded for Dash. After giving the first couple doses of Cisipride, Gemini looked odd, especially his eyes. I spoke to the vet and we adjusted his dosage/schedule because I suspect he is either having a reaction or it is causing him discomfort. Perhaps you and others can share your experience on the use of Cisipride in rabbits.