Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemini Stasis-3rd bunny in three weeks not eating and stasis

Default Gemini Stasis-3rd bunny in three weeks not eating and stasis

You may have read my two other threads about Raven not wanting to eat (even after a dental) and not pooing, and Dash suddenly not eating/pooing and having a cecal impaction. Once Dash's system started to move, he was active and eating tons and pooed within 24 hours. Raven required several days of hand feeding and medications, but he pooed in less than a day and was interested in some greens even though it took more time to get him back to eating mostly on his own.

On Tuesday I noted that Gemini, my almost four year old Netherland Dwarf, had fewer, smaller, and harder poos. He was shedding a bit, but most of his moult happened about two weeks ago. I did not see any fur in the poos he passed. He was still eating his greens, but was not touching his hay. I cleaned his litter box right away rather than waiting for evening to see how many new poos he would make. I then gave him more greens. Later on Tuesday, I started sub Q fluids, Critical Care food, and medications including metacam and metacloprimide. On Wednesday he was making some smaller poos, but I thought them seemed improved over Tuesdays. Even so, I called the vet for an appointment and he was not available until Thursday. In the meantime, I added Cisipride to the medicam and metracloprimide, Critical Care and Fluids. He was passing small amounts of poo and I saw a couple cecal pellets.

This morning at the vet I was told he has hardly any gut sounds, his cecum felt 'doughy' and I should continue to give both motility agents and to give even more fluids. I was surprised his gut sounds were so evasive since I gave him fluids/metacloprimide and Critical Care at 2am; and he had the Cisipride about 12 hours before vet visit.

I am following vets instructions and his litterbox is wet but it only had two or three new droppings (cecals/). I just cleaned his litterbox again and am waiting for poo. He is not due for more meds for a couple hours. It may be due to my giving him Critical Care, but he is not eating his greens this afternoon.
    Please send my beautiful Gemini some positive vibes. He was my anniversary present in 2015, and he is so well behaved and sweet I cannot stand the thought of him not being with me.

Also, even though my three bunnies each seem to have different reasons for having GI issues, I wonder if they can somehow be connected. What are your thoughts?

Oh no sending lots of vibes for him xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    You may have read my two other threads about Raven not wanting to eat (even after a dental) and not pooing, and Dash suddenly not eating/pooing and having a cecal impaction. Once Dash's system started to move, he was active and eating tons and pooed within 24 hours. Raven required several days of hand feeding and medications, but he pooed in less than a day and was interested in some greens even though it took more time to get him back to eating mostly on his own.

On Tuesday I noted that Gemini, my almost four year old Netherland Dwarf, had fewer, smaller, and harder poos. He was shedding a bit, but most of his moult happened about two weeks ago. I did not see any fur in the poos he passed. He was still eating his greens, but was not touching his hay. I cleaned his litter box right away rather than waiting for evening to see how many new poos he would make. I then gave him more greens. Later on Tuesday, I started sub Q fluids, Critical Care food, and medications including metacam and metacloprimide. On Wednesday he was making some smaller poos, but I thought them seemed improved over Tuesdays. Even so, I called the vet for an appointment and he was not available until Thursday. In the meantime, I added Cisipride to the medicam and metracloprimide, Critical Care and Fluids. He was passing small amounts of poo and I saw a couple cecal pellets.

This morning at the vet I was told he has hardly any gut sounds, his cecum felt 'doughy' and I should continue to give both motility agents and to give even more fluids. I was surprised his gut sounds were so evasive since I gave him fluids/metacloprimide and Critical Care at 2am; and he had the Cisipride about 12 hours before vet visit.

I am following vets instructions and his litterbox is wet but it only had two or three new droppings (cecals/). I just cleaned his litterbox again and am waiting for poo. He is not due for more meds for a couple hours. It may be due to my giving him Critical Care, but he is not eating his greens this afternoon.
    Please send my beautiful Gemini some positive vibes. He was my anniversary present in 2015, and he is so well behaved and sweet I cannot stand the thought of him not being with me.

Also, even though my three bunnies each seem to have different reasons for having GI issues, I wonder if they can somehow be connected. What are your thoughts?

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this

Sending loads of vibes for Gemini xx

Thanks for the vibes.
    I just gave him more Critical Care and sub Q fluids. He made a few poos, but then they stopped again. He may have nibbled on a piece or two of his greens, but he is not eating any hay or pellets.
    Gemini is not due for his Metacloprimide and Cisapride until 3am. Does anyone know if I should be giving Cisapride should be given before or after I syringe feed Critical Care? I want to make sure he is getting the full benefit from the medication.

Warren Scout

Sending vibes for Gemini .. and for you ... what a tough few weeks ..

Sending you lots of vibes. It's a real worry isn't it.
    I'm not sure about the cisapride before or after feeds, I've often wondered that myself when looking after Binky when he's had his stasis bouts. I tend to give him meds before feed, but mostly because he gets fed up and starts refusing to swallow the food towards the end so worry he wouldn't take his meds if I did it after.
    Sending best wishes and hope things improve soon.

Warren Veteran

Sending loads of vibes for Gemini. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about Cisapride.

It is tempting to think that all three instances with your three rabbits are connected, but I don't really see how unless you have recently introduced something new into their diet. It would appear that the details of each rabbit's issues are slightly different too.

Thanks.
    Last night I was hopeful when he passed a droppings that were close to normal. After 9pm (more meds, fluids, feeding) he made only a few very tiny droppings and by 2am they stopped. At that time he got more meds and critical care. By 7am he was even more full and he seemed like he was having discomfort. I gave him more Medicam, fluids and critical care before leaving for an important appointment.
    I was thinking the worst and am still very concerned as he only seemed slightly better when I returned at 11am. He did make a few small droppings. I gave him additional fluids and more critical care.
    He was improving yesterday evening so I wish I knew what I did right so I can do it again. My vet is off until Saturday morning, so I may want to recalculate his drug dosage range to see if I can give the motility agents more frequently or at a higher level. He does not have gas, just a lot of material accumulating in his cecum due to his slow gut.
    Please send me and Gemin more positive vibes.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 05-05-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Thanks.
    Last night I was hopeful when he passed a droppings that were close to normal. After 9pm (more meds, fluids, feeding) he made only a few very tiny droppings and by 2am they stopped. At that time he got more meds and critical care. By 7am he was even more full and he seemed like he was having discomfort. I gave him more Medicam, fluids and critical care before leaving for an important appointment.
    I was thinking the worst and am still very concerned as he only seemed slightly better when I returned at 11am. He did make a few small droppings. I gave him additional fluids and more critical care.
    He was improving yesterday evening so I wish I knew what I did right so I can do it again. My vet is off until Saturday morning, so I may want to recalculate his drug dosage range to see if I can give the motility agents more frequently or at a higher level. He does not have gas, just a lot of material accumulating in his cecum due to his slow gut.
    Please send me and Gemin more positive vibes.
    I don't know if you have it over there but protexin fibreplex I have found really good for rabbits with stasis! It's carrot flavoured 2/3 that I've given it to go mad for it, the other one doesn't like carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavinia View Post
    Sending you lots of vibes. It's a real worry isn't it.
    I'm not sure about the cisapride before or after feeds, I've often wondered that myself when looking after Binky when he's had his stasis bouts. I tend to give him meds before feed, but mostly because he gets fed up and starts refusing to swallow the food towards the end so worry he wouldn't take his meds if I did it after.
    Sending best wishes and hope things improve soon.
    I found a resource that said I should wait 15-30 minutes after giving Cisapride before feeding. I waited 30 minutes after giving Cisapride to give Critical Care and he was less willing to take the Critical Care. Now I do not know if his lack of interest was from Cisapride or if he is getting worse.