Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Thank you.
    I spoke to the vet and we decided to up his medicam to see if it causes him to eat more hay and pellets. The vet also wanted to get an update on his weight to make sure he it is stable even with my providing Gemini with supplemental syringe feedings.
    Yesterday I took him to the vets office for a quick weigh by the tech. The first weigh he was moving on the scale and a bit lighter than his last weigh two weeks earlier, so I asked the tech to do it again and each time we weighed him on the same scale he weighed a little bit less. At best he lost a couple ounces after his dental. I need to order the baby scale I planned to buy previously so I can monitor Gemini's weight weekly. It will also help me to control the weight of my girls who have good appetites and to monitor Dash and Evan who are only 1.5 lbs each as full grown Dwarfs in spite of eating more hay than bunnies two and three times their size.

How our your bunnies doing?

This is what I do

I have a poorly rabbit at the moment, who has lost shed loads of weight. I use a jute bag and weighed that, and then put him in it. I found that like Gemini, he moved around and I couldn't get an accurate weight. Using the bag makes it easier, quicker, and he doesn't move much.

Vibes for Gemini x

My new baby scale arrived on Monday and I weighed my entire bunny family. Gemini sat well the first two times, then I moved the scale to other areas of the floor and weighed him a few more times to see if it made of a difference and he decided he had enough for one day and jumped into my arms. I like that I can put a small towel on the scale and tare it back to zero so I just get his weight and not that of the towel.

With the increased Medicam and dosing twice a day he is eating more of his pellets, yet is not always consistent. Now I am trying to slowly reduce the dosage (with vets OK) to see how little I can give him and still have good results. He was never a big hay eater, and since his illness he eats very little hay (he does enjoy pulling it out of his hay rack and shorting the strands. He still gets extra fluids and supplemental feedings which I will reduce once I confirm his weight will remain stable and he (and his poo) will remain hydrated.

Thank you for your good thoughts. He is such a good bunny I don't know how all that love fits into three pounds of love.

Warren Scout

hi bunny momma - it's- been a long haul for you both but good to hear gemini's eating more - sending vibes for more consistent appetite

Quote Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
    hi bunny momma - it's- been a long haul for you both but good to hear gemini's eating more - sending vibes for more consistent appetite
    Thank you. I stopped all supplemental feeding for the past four days to see if he will maintain his weight on his own when I weigh him later today. He is still getting supplemental fluids which I may be able to stop now that he is drinking better most days. While he is on twice a day Medicam he is eating more pellets, but not as much as before his dental problems and dental. I spoke to vet about possible extractions and he explained the anatomy, success rate and risks for Gemini. So I am hoping the Medicam will keep him eating and drinking so he does not experience another gut shutdown.
    Fingers crossed for a good weigh in.

Warren Scout

fingers crossed here too.. hope he is putting on some weight

fingers crossed here too.. hope he is putting on some weight
    His last weigh has him maintaining his weight without my having to give him extra feedings. He still gets Medicam and he is a slow eater; yet I am glad he is eating his pellets, his greens, and also some hay.
    It has been a long road to get him to this point so I am reluctant to stress him with another follow up visit to the vets. A few days ago I was shredding some documents and he decided to have some fun chewing some nearby newspapers.
    He is such a good bunny.

Warren Scout

so glad to hear this ..progress in right direction and he is still up to mischief

so glad to hear this ..progress in right direction and he is still up to mischief
    I hope both your bunnies are doing well at the moment.
    After fearing the worst, I want to take every opportunity to enjoy Gemini's sweet nature.

Warren Scout

hi - yes - crixus and spartacus are doing really well thanks - no stasis episodes for 3 months now - finally have a diet in place that works well for them (and me). The new turf (25 square metres) didn't last long though

Gemini is going through a huge moult, so I am removing a lot of loose fur before it can be ingested and am watching his input and output a few times a day. The pile of fur I removed in the past week is huge and there is more to come. I saw a couple small droppings, but he also is making a lot of nice ones still. Today I weighed him and he is maintaining his weight well so that is a plus. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed the he will remain stable.