• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun won't eat hay with molar Spurs

Ponymad21

Warren Scout
Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this

My bun had a prolapse Thursday, he's home, and eating but not eating hay, we took him back to the vets for a check up today and I got them to check his teeth, he's got a spur on one of his molars, he's going in next week to have it filled down as we want him to recover more and it would be very close together with the last anaesthetic.

He's eating lots of grass but has anyone got any tips to get him eating some hay before he goes to get his teeth done?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this

My bun had a prolapse Thursday, he's home, and eating but not eating hay, we took him back to the vets for a check up today and I got them to check his teeth, he's got a spur on one of his molars, he's going in next week to have it filled down as we want him to recover more and it would be very close together with the last anaesthetic.

He's eating lots of grass but has anyone got any tips to get him eating some hay before he goes to get his teeth done?

Thank you

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear that your rabbit has been poorly.

It may be that he finds hay a bit much to be eating if he's got spurs on his molars. You should be able to encourage him when he's had the op. What I do is mix the grass in with the hay - I kind of chop it in together.

You can also try a product called 'readigrass' which is basically freeze dried grass - many buns love it and it's great for teeth wearing :)

https://www.blendbetter.co.uk/Produ...rce=googleps&gclid=CKjvyJTf0dMCFcu37Qod2msH_Q

(you can get it loads of places online)

Grass, however, is really good for the teeth - after all, hay is only dried grass:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/10/07/grass-hay-tooth-wear/

Grass is more abrasive than it looks :D

..... By the way, a spur on a molar tooth is really common, and I wouldn't say your rabbit had bad teeth because of that :D

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear that your rabbit has been poorly.

It may be that he finds hay a bit much to be eating if he's got spurs on his molars. You should be able to encourage him when he's had the op. What I do is mix the grass in with the hay - I kind of chop it in together.

You can also try a product called 'readigrass' which is basically freeze dried grass - many buns love it and it's great for teeth wearing :)

https://www.blendbetter.co.uk/Produ...rce=googleps&gclid=CKjvyJTf0dMCFcu37Qod2msH_Q

(you can get it loads of places online)

Grass, however, is really good for the teeth - after all, hay is only dried grass:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/10/07/grass-hay-tooth-wear/

Grass is more abrasive than it looks :D

..... By the way, a spur on a molar tooth is really common, and I wouldn't say your rabbit had bad teeth because of that :D

I've got a huge 15kg bag of readigrass, my first bun got stasis on New Years and it was the only bag I could get, but he won't eat it, I'm soaking some hay as he did nibble some hay yesterday that got wet in the rain

I'm sorry to hear that your rabbit has had a prolapse.

In my view eating grass is just as good as eating hay and so I wouldn't be overly concerned at this stage that he is not eating hay.

Was he eating hay up until the time he had his prolapse? If so, it may be that the spur itself is not actually causing him not to eat hay now and that getting fully back to eating everything is all part of his recovery and will improve by itself. Some rabbits will tolerate spurs on their teeth better than others and it's not always the case that a spur will stop the rabbit eating.

If it were me I would want to be absolutely sure that it is in fact the spur that is causing your rabbit not to eat hay. Is he a rabbit that is prone to having dental problems?

In my view eating grass is just as good as eating hay and so I wouldn't be overly concerned at this stage that he is not eating hay.

Was he eating hay up until the time he had his prolapse? If so, it may be that the spur itself is not actually causing him not to eat hay now and that getting fully back to eating everything is all part of his recovery and will improve by itself. Some rabbits will tolerate spurs on their teeth better than others and it's not always the case that a spur will stop the rabbit eating.

If it were me I would want to be absolutely sure that it is in fact the spur that is causing your rabbit not to eat hay. Is he a rabbit that is prone to having dental problems?

He is a very brachycephallic lop, he looks like he's been smacked in the face with a shovel! I don't know if he's had dental issues before as I rescued them 3 months ago and they were in a poor state, he had urine scald so bad he couldn't move without excruciating pain :(

We don't know what caused the prolapse but as he's eating everything apart from anything with the texture of hay, me and the vet agree that the molar Spurs are causing him to not eat hay. And I know he was eating a bit of hay before he prolapsed but he lives with another very greedy bun so if their hay consumption went down I didn't notice

We don't know what caused the prolapse but as he's eating everything apart from anything with the texture of hay, me and the vet agree that the molar Spurs are causing him to not eat hay. And I know he was eating a bit of hay before he prolapsed but he lives with another very greedy bun so if their hay consumption went down I didn't notice

I hope the dental will put things right .... it's looking that way, isn't it?

I hope the dental will put things right .... it's looking that way, isn't it?

I hope so!
His brother misses him so much when they're separated, but he can't go into the vets with him really as he is a very grumpy rabbit who throws a strop, thumps his feet, bites and kicks, anyone but me!

Back