• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Self bonding rabbits...

CometLucy195

Alpha Buck
For those who haven't seen my other posts, I've got a trio and 2 singles, Dave and Lucy. I've put Dave and Lucy in separate hutches with access to a large run each on the back of the hutches. I was waiting for Dave to fully recover from his neuter, and for spring fever to end to bond them, so put them next to each other to get used to their smells.
Yesterday, I went to see them in the afternoon, I had friends over all day so was busy in the house. I went to Lucy's hutch - and was greeted by Dave. Momentarily confused (was it the wine, am I mixing up my bunnies now etc etc), then Lucy pops up too!
Wha???
So, both of them have dug under the run into the other, and Dave has gone to visit Lucy!
They both looked ok, no fur flying, no scratches, Lucy looks a bit confused but Dave looking happy.
Wasn't sure what to do, but as I couldn't monitor them, due to aforementioned visitors, I put Dave back, filled the holes and put more slabs down.
I am waiting for the builder to do the permanent hard standing area so for now they're both on rough ground in our garden. Checked them this morning before work, no more tunnels for now, but need more reinforcements methinks!
But looking good for their bond, hopefully this weekend ill start the dates!
Now wouldn't that be easy if they just bonded themselves!
( I do have slabs round the outside of the runs so they can't dig out, but there were none between them by the way)

For those who haven't seen my other posts, I've got a trio and 2 singles, Dave and Lucy. I've put Dave and Lucy in separate hutches with access to a large run each on the back of the hutches. I was waiting for Dave to fully recover from his neuter, and for spring fever to end to bond them, so put them next to each other to get used to their smells.
Yesterday, I went to see them in the afternoon, I had friends over all day so was busy in the house. I went to Lucy's hutch - and was greeted by Dave. Momentarily confused (was it the wine, am I mixing up my bunnies now etc etc), then Lucy pops up too!
Wha???
So, both of them have dug under the run into the other, and Dave has gone to visit Lucy!
They both looked ok, no fur flying, no scratches, Lucy looks a bit confused but Dave looking happy.
Wasn't sure what to do, but as I couldn't monitor them, due to aforementioned visitors, I put Dave back, filled the holes and put more slabs down.
I am waiting for the builder to do the permanent hard standing area so for now they're both on rough ground in our garden. Checked them this morning before work, no more tunnels for now, but need more reinforcements methinks!
But looking good for their bond, hopefully this weekend ill start the dates!
Now wouldn't that be easy if they just bonded themselves!
( I do have slabs round the outside of the runs so they can't dig out, but there were none between them by the way)

:lol:

What a lovely story!

And what a lovely title! Self bonding rabbits - sounds like something you'd find in the haberdashery section of John Lewis :lol:

It augurs really well, and I'm pleased for you. Very pleased :D

Hehe, wish you could bond rabbits in John Lewis, how easy would that be? 'Never knowingly under-bonded'
I put them in a run together for a few minutes today, Lucy just sniffed at Dave, who just lollaped around exploring. He's like a happy go lucky puppy! Think I'll go for it this weekend, just put them together and see what happens. Lucy used to be lovely with Comet, who I lost suddenly last November, so she has been bonded before, aside from her 6 weeks with the trio. Thanks for the reply MM xx

Sounds very promising doesn't it. Lots of successful bonding vibes for this weekend.

Hehe, wish you could bond rabbits in John Lewis, how easy would that be? 'Never knowingly under-bonded'
I put them in a run together for a few minutes today, Lucy just sniffed at Dave, who just lollaped around exploring. He's like a happy go lucky puppy! Think I'll go for it this weekend, just put them together and see what happens. Lucy used to be lovely with Comet, who I lost suddenly last November, so she has been bonded before, aside from her 6 weeks with the trio. Thanks for the reply MM xx

Welcome :)

I would buy some Bondaweb :D Do no harm to iron them together :lol:

Today is bonding day -wish me luck!
Dave dug his way out again this morning, he hangs around the garden and easily caught, but now is the time to reinforce his run! Still waiting for the builder to get back to me about putting more slabs down, I've got it all worked out how to create 2 setups with my one Boyles run.
Anyway, I've put Lucy and Dave in the run together this week a couple of times and they seem fine. So today, I'm putting Lucy's large wooden run over the spare single hutch on the main house patio for a week as that is neutral space and going to put them both in this morning. Then I can neutralise Dave's set up (double hutch with large run attached behind, but currently on earth hence the dig outs!), and temporarily slab the run, and next weekend ill put them both in that. Hopefully!
Typical it's raining grrr.

Dave dug his way out again this morning, he hangs around the garden and easily caught, but now is the time to reinforce his run! Still waiting for the builder to get back to me about putting more slabs down, I've got it all worked out how to create 2 setups with my one Boyles run.
Anyway, I've put Lucy and Dave in the run together this week a couple of times and they seem fine. So today, I'm putting Lucy's large wooden run over the spare single hutch on the main house patio for a week as that is neutral space and going to put them both in this morning. Then I can neutralise Dave's set up (double hutch with large run attached behind, but currently on earth hence the dig outs!), and temporarily slab the run, and next weekend ill put them both in that. Hopefully!

Good luck CL :wave:

I will be thinking of you - and rain - stay away!!!!

eeek. Best of luck. I have a good feeling about your self bonders

eeek. Best of luck. I have a good feeling about your self bonders

Thanks. So far so good. They're in together in the run on the grass whilst I dismantle Lucy's set up to use the run to attach to the small hutch (5ft single storey) which neither of them have been in. A bit of chasing but plenty of eating grass and ignoring each other, some sniffing going on. It's their 3rd 'date' apart from when Dave let himself into her hutch via a tunnel into ear run. The run doesn't quite fit onto the hutch so I'm getting wood to fill the gaps etc. Bit of bodge job but it's only for bonding purposes and it's right by the back door so I can keep an eye on them.
Right, back to it. What did I do with my time before I got all the rabbits!!

Thanks. So far so good. They're in together in the run on the grass whilst I dismantle Lucy's set up to use the run to attach to the small hutch (5ft single storey) which neither of them have been in. A bit of chasing but plenty of eating grass and ignoring each other, some sniffing going on. It's their 3rd 'date' apart from when Dave let himself into her hutch via a tunnel into ear run. The run doesn't quite fit onto the hutch so I'm getting wood to fill the gaps etc. Bit of bodge job but it's only for bonding purposes and it's right by the back door so I can keep an eye on them.
Right, back to it. What did I do with my time before I got all the rabbits!!

Second that :roll:

Glad to hear all is well! (speaks quietly as doesn't want to jinx self-bonding)

I think it's worked!! They're in their new set up, Lucy is grooming Dave and they're snuggled up together! Hopefully that's it, they're together! Will try to post photos if I can get photo bucket to flipping work!
They look lovely together, both shades of fawn, seem to have colour coded my bunnies, Jet, Lavender and Piper all black and white colours, and Dave and Lucy both fawn/red. Lol

I think it's worked!! They're in their new set up, Lucy is grooming Dave and they're snuggled up together! Hopefully that's it, they're together! Will try to post photos if I can get photo bucket to flipping work!
They look lovely together, both shades of fawn, seem to have colour coded my bunnies, Jet, Lavender and Piper all black and white colours, and Dave and Lucy both fawn/red. Lol

You deserve a quick bonding CL, with all you've done for the rabbits :D

I haven't managed to colour code my rabbits at all :lol:

This is the temporary set up for bonding them. Its gone so well, they were snuggled up together today in the sun! Ill keep them in this a week and they're going back into Dave's set up once I've slabbed the run to stop them digging out.

Back