• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another case of stasis

Hi,

Bubbles is an awkward bunny and is already a bowl drinking bunny, he wont touch a bottle. But he isnt one to drink a lot. I have only ever seen him drink a handful of times in 3 years. i wonder if there is anyway to encourage him to drink more??

Thank you so much for your comments. I will try a lot more herbs in his diet.

x

Some people on here have added Avipro pre-biotic to drinking water and rabbits seem to like the taste and sometimes that will encourage them to drink more. Other than that, make sure that any fresh food you feed is drenched in water first before feeding, which will ensure some water is being consumed.

Well i just made the call, he is ok, fairly bright ish and will hop around when let lose. He wont eat or poo and is being syringe fed every 4 hours. We have to wait now for the rabbit day vets to arrive and decide if we continue as we are and wait or have look to make sure there is no blockage.

Weirdly he ate a massive amount of hay yesterday, he always eats it but seemed to really enjoy it more than usual. I always have two permanent hay racks in his hutch with fresh hay 24 hours a day. It was mentioned that this may have caused the problem as over eating hay (which is dry) can bloat them out and slow the gut down.

I'm now really scared of how to handle things when i get him home (fingers crossed). Basically he has a small amount of pellets split over two meals (morning and night), fresh greens a couple of times a day (again not massive amounts as i don't want to encourage diarrhoea), in the better weather he does get a lot of scissor cut grass which i wean him onto slowly so as not to upset his tummy and he does get out during the day on the lawn too, and then permanent good quality hay.

Yesterday breakfast was normal, he had a run around in the house then i popped him away while i was doing cleaning (i never have him out if there is a hint of a cleaning chemical) he had some cut grass in his indoor house and masses of hay (which is what he ate lots of)

Am i doing this all wrong? And is this all my fault?

We are almost a year to the day since the last outbreak :cry:

x

None of this sounds to be anything remotely your fault. Please don't blame yourself!

Some bunnies get stasis on a regular basis, and a one year gap is a long time :)

Bunnies need to eat hay, and lots of it. They get their moisture through veggies, grass, herbs, forage and drinking water. It should be enough, and it's unusual for a rabbit to get gut stasis through eating too much hay.

It could also be connected with the moulting season? Some bunnies don't look like they are moulting right now, but it takes a lot out of a rabbit - up to 40% more energy needed for a moult. So maybe his hay spurt was part of the calories and fibre he needed to push all the hair through?

He sounds to be incredibly well looked after :D

Hi,

Bubbles is an awkward bunny and is already a bowl drinking bunny, he wont touch a bottle. But he isnt one to drink a lot. I have only ever seen him drink a handful of times in 3 years. i wonder if there is anyway to encourage him to drink more??

Thank you so much for your comments. I will try a lot more herbs in his diet.

x

Regards drinking water, there are several things you can add:

A little apple, orange or pineapple juice. Some vets believe that pineapple juice will help break down the mucous surrounding hair and help it to pass more easily.

You can add something like Avipro:

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

Whilst it may not do any good, it tastes nice and will encourage drinking :D

In the long term you need your rabbit to drink plain water though, so I wouldn't continue it for weeks/months.

Good luck and keep smiling :D

My Louie had regular stasis which we learned to manage although we sometimes needed the Vet if it continued for more than a day.

He too never drank anything unless he was in stasis.

It's a horrible thing to have to deal with :( xxx

Hi Everyone,

So thought i should give you all the latest update as you have been so kind as to follow my thread and offer advice.

Today i decided to pop in at lunchtime and take some of his favourites, parsley, carrot tops and kale, i also took in his litter tray and although i emptied and refilled with our litter i didn't wash it so it would still smell of him. I left that at the hospital and then went back in 3 hours later for a visit.

Apparently once he had his tray he did get in and have a wee so obviously he was happier with it than the one they offered him. Also he has in their words "nibbled" at a carrot top but they are still syringe feeding and after i left he passed a couple of pellets. So whilst not out of the woods he has shown some improvement. On top of it all hes shown the nurses he really isnt very happy there, he's never been a biter but he does thump if he's cross so perhaps my little boy is felling a bit better as he does this whenever he sees the syringe coming!

Thank you for all the suggestions on the supplements for the water you've been really helpful.

Whilst i am not looking forward to night number two without him i am going to bed in a better frame of mind.

Night night everyone sleep well.

D

Hi Everyone,

So thought i should give you all the latest update as you have been so kind as to follow my thread and offer advice.

Today i decided to pop in at lunchtime and take some of his favourites, parsley, carrot tops and kale, i also took in his litter tray and although i emptied and refilled with our litter i didn't wash it so it would still smell of him. I left that at the hospital and then went back in 3 hours later for a visit.

Apparently once he had his tray he did get in and have a wee so obviously he was happier with it than the one they offered him. Also he has in their words "nibbled" at a carrot top but they are still syringe feeding and after i left he passed a couple of pellets. So whilst not out of the woods he has shown some improvement. On top of it all hes shown the nurses he really isnt very happy there, he's never been a biter but he does thump if he's cross so perhaps my little boy is felling a bit better as he does this whenever he sees the syringe coming!

Thank you for all the suggestions on the supplements for the water you've been really helpful.

Whilst i am not looking forward to night number two without him i am going to bed in a better frame of mind.

Night night everyone sleep well.

D

Night Dem, and you sleep well too :)

You have a very close bond with him, and obviously know him so well.

Vibes for you both overnight xx

Morning fellow bunny lovers,

Well i'm over the moon this mornings phone call from the vets was great. They called and said he has really picked up overnight, he's eating a bit for himself so they stopped syringing and he is passing more pellets albeit not masses so they would like to have him home for a few hours to see if being with us will bring him along faster. They think our visit last night really helped him and he just wanted to get back with us.

So i collected him about 30 mins ago and hes back home with me. He's had a mouthful of pellets and a small amount of carrot top and is now lying down. I'm sure that the evening/nightime syringe feeding and the hustle and bustle of the vets meant sleep was at a minimum so i'm going to let him have a couple of hours to himself.

We have meds (ranitidine, metacloprimide and metacam) which we will administer and as long as he goes to the toilet and eats he can stay with us but if very little happens he has to go back. My fingers are crossed as is everything else for a positive day.

Thank you all for your support. I'm sure most people think i'm the mad rabbit lady they way i breakdown at the vets but you guys all love your buns like i do so completely understand the heartbreak when they get poorly.

x

Morning fellow bunny lovers,

Well i'm over the moon this mornings phone call from the vets was great. They called and said he has really picked up overnight, he's eating a bit for himself so they stopped syringing and he is passing more pellets albeit not masses so they would like to have him home for a few hours to see if being with us will bring him along faster. They think our visit last night really helped him and he just wanted to get back with us.

So i collected him about 30 mins ago and hes back home with me. He's had a mouthful of pellets and a small amount of carrot top and is now lying down. I'm sure that the evening/nightime syringe feeding and the hustle and bustle of the vets meant sleep was at a minimum so i'm going to let him have a couple of hours to himself.

We have meds (ranitidine, metacloprimide and metacam) which we will administer and as long as he goes to the toilet and eats he can stay with us but if very little happens he has to go back. My fingers are crossed as is everything else for a positive day.

Thank you all for your support. I'm sure most people think i'm the mad rabbit lady they way i breakdown at the vets but you guys all love your buns like i do so completely understand the heartbreak when they get poorly.

x

Yes, it's devastating when they get poorly :(

I'm glad he's picking up, and hopefully a home stay will be just what he needs. Are you able to be around today to keep an eye?

Vibes for him - eating and pooping! :)

Oh that's fantastic news! I'm really pleased Bubbles is doing a lot better and is now home [emoji4] Sending lots of vibes that we will continue to make a good recovery xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's better news :D I hope he improves even more at home.

Luckily i work from home. Bubbles is my little daytime pal so its very easy for me to keep an eye on him. He's still doing really well. If i sit with him and hand him food he will take it and we are having a few more pellets coming through so i am definitely going to suggest that he stays here. He's really tired so has been on the sofa dozing most of the time since coming home except for when he gets down to go to the toilet. Its great seeing him being a bit more himself.

Back