• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm pretty sure Mouse is deaf now - or maybe not

I dunno. If the vet thinks her ears aren't the issue its a fairly simple thing to try ...though I also know not whether it would be irreversible..I think most EC damage is? I'm not overly worried as it doesn't feel like there is much I can do. She is otherwise very happy & appears well

:roll::lol:

Thats what I want to know. I've googled like crazy & it is listed on many sites as a possible symptom but I can't find more detail. Where is FHB when we need her. Prior to this I was contemplating treating them properly just in case Boo's mega thirst worries me a tad & Mouseypie is positive anyway

Erupting EC spores often effect the brain. If the auditory centre of the brain,where the electrical impulses from the auditory nerves are perceived by the brain as sound, is damaged by the erupting EC spores hearing loss/deafness can occur x

Erupting EC spores often effect the brain. If the auditory centre of the brain,where the electrical impulses from the auditory nerves are perceived by the brain as sound, is damaged by the erupting EC spores hearing loss/deafness can occur x

Thanks Jane for your help with Mousey & your very useful reply x

I presume this is why symptoms and outcomes of EC can be so diverse, as it just depends which area of the brain is affected. That, together with the fact that the diagnostic test for EC can be unreliable, must increase the possibility of inaccurate diagnosis.

Thanks Jane for your help with Mousey & your very useful reply x

Not sure that I am ever of much help, but I try :D

I presume this is why symptoms and outcomes of EC can be so diverse, as it just depends which area of the brain is affected. That, together with the fact that the diagnostic test for EC can be unreliable, must increase the possibility of inaccurate diagnosis.

Fully understanding EC is something I am unlikely to ever achieve !

Not sure that I am ever of much help, but I try :D

Fully understanding EC is something I am unlikely to ever achieve !

I don't think even FHB professes to fully understand it. A positive of RU, we all get to share our diverse experiences, knowledge, opinions

I don't think even FHB professes to fully understand it. A positive of RU, we all get to share our diverse experiences, knowledge, opinions

Then I have no chance !! :lol:

In recent years EC has been thought to have more in common with a Fungus than with a Protozoan Parasite.

http://www.criver.com/files/pdfs/infectious-agents/rm_ld_r_encephalitozoon_cuniculi.aspx

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...s-a-High-Frequency-of-Fast-Evolving-Genes.pdf

That opens up a whole new can of................mushrooms !!

Sorry about the poor photo quality. This is Mouse asleep earlier. As you can see she kept one ear flopped but the other was positioned upright from right in the centre of her head. As she was dreaming her ear kept changing direction as though she was listening. Boo (also deaf) does this sometimes when she dreams but never in waking life. I just found it interesting & thought I'd share
IMG_5139_zpsdcye1izk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

earlier today she spent many hours wrestling the towel from under the coffee table legs to make herself a pillow, leaving grumpy looking Joe single rather than triple thickness towel.
IMG_5141_zps35edqavo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5142_zpsffzdv0li.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mouse is now showing some signs of hearing. Gosh she confuses me. Plug of ear wax dislodged? Any other explanations anyone can offer? She is on day 21 of panacur but I think deafness through EC would be irreversible??

Lovely photos!!

It's possible a dislodged piece of wax.
Another possibility could be inflammation of the brain is reduced which has reduce possible pressure on the ear canal. I've known it to happen in dogs, I'd imagine possible in rabbits but not 100% certain.

Hopefully JJ will see this in the morning and be able to offer more info/advice. xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Whatever the reason for this I love that Mouse can hear again:) She responds to my voice & jumps when I drop something. She is also wearing one ear upright all the time now, the other is variable. Are helicopter eared bunnies more likely to wear them low if they are feeling uncomfy I wonder? I know she does when she is lacking in confidence

Back