• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail cutting

Alicia

Mama Doe
I can cut my Guinea pigs nails easily but I worry about cutting the rabbits nails. Roughly how much do vets normally charge to do it? Or is there an easy way to do it, Izzy wriggles like mad and I don't want to hurt them

I'm going to watch this for prices and whether it's worth it too!

I just trimmed my rabbits nails today - one rabbit was pretty well behaved for a change, but the other wriggled so much, I was near tears with frustration. The only thing I could do was wrap him in a towel and bring out one paw at a time. A second person is always useful.

I can cut my Guinea pigs nails easily but I worry about cutting the rabbits nails. Roughly how much do vets normally charge to do it? Or is there an easy way to do it, Izzy wriggles like mad and I don't want to hurt them

My most useful tip is to shine the light of a small torch through the nail, in order to see the quick. Then it's easy to take off just the right amount.

You might need two people :)

I don't like bunny pedicures & neither do Boo or Mouse. Joey is an angel. I have the biggest problem with Mouse who has really long nail beds - probably from neglect prior to rescue. Hers always seem too long, plus I don't dare go as short as I probably should. When I used to see FHB she'd do them during the consultation for free - inbetween I'd do them myself. I struggle trusting anyone else to do them either ...my OH I don't trust to clip them safely nor to hold them securely so I go it alone :lol: The biggest downside about bunny care for me is transport to vets, bunny injections & bunny pedicures. I'm good with cleaning out abscesses & eye sockets though

I think vet nurses often do nail trims very inexpensively

Where I work, nurse is £12 and vet is £17. I posted a long reply to a post on how I learnt to do my buns with little fuss, it was from a you tube video, you might find that useful? I think the thread was about sore hocks!

I would never attempt to do ours because I'd end up cutting off an entire foot, let alone a nail, they would wriggle and writhe so much.

A vet charges an extortionate amount to trim claws but a nurse is about half, I think our vet nurses charge about £7. Mind you, the one which did ours the last time was shaking so much I was in two minds whether or not to offer her a cup of tea :lol:

I place my rabbit on top of his litter cage so his claws kind of poke through the holes in the bars and feed him enlive leaves.I can then clip away as he happily munches the leaves.

I'm going to have to book mine in for a nurse/vet to do it. Ruby and Ben have black nails as I always catch the quick on at least one nail. With Tink I wrap him and then it's a two person job - one holds, one grab a paw and cuts. He's generally ok and not too wriggly. You can usually see the quick on white nails as a faint pink line running down the center. If you catch it lots of tissues and cuddles are required!!

I place my rabbit on top of his litter cage so his claws kind of poke through the holes in the bars and feed him enlive leaves.I can then clip away as he happily munches the leaves.

What is a litter cage?

I always prefer to have the vet or nurse do the clipping, that way any quicking is not on me. :thumb: I get to be the good guy and hand out the treats afterwards.

I've had ranges of $13-$15 and one vet did it as a courtesy call, so no charge.

I can do mine's nails, but my eyesight isn't great even with a flashlight, and now that Fiver is particularly gimpy it would be too easy to cause further damage to his spine. I'd definitely not attempt it without a second person there.

What is a litter cage?
A rabbit cage that's no longer used as a cage but a litter as the rabbit is free to run.

If your n a scheme called healthy pet club nail trimming is free by vet nurse, vet, shame I don't live nearer I done many rabbit nails

I had our rabbits' claws clipped just last week by the vet nurse.

So much for it being cheaper done by the nurse and not the vet :shock:

£18! For one!! :shock:

However, she only charged me for one bunny even though she did the two, but still!

But that could have been because I was worried Thumper's dewclaw had gone into her pad as it was so long :oops: so she gave her a thorough exam rather than just a quick snip, I don't know. But she did a fine job of both their claws, they're really trim and look fab, and I couldn't have done that so in all honesty, it was money well-spent.

If anyone is the bristol area, I'm happy to come clip nails (good practice for vet course) after my exams are through!

Edited to add for free of course (or donation to small furry rescue of your choice!)

Back