• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do I do? :(

ljlstevens

New Kit
So as I've mentioned previously, I have a Neatherland on palliative care who lives with 3 other bunnies. The alpha female started to exile her from the group, then the rest started to.

Now I know this is typical behaviour of grouped animals when a member of the 'pack' is weakened in some way, and totally instinct based and a natural process. So I tried to rebond for several weeks indoors. Tried banana on the head, tried no items in the enclosure to avoid territorial behaviour etc. It all seemed to be OK for several days then the chasing began again.

I think it's starting to effect her emotionally now. Now she just runs away, and it encourages the chasing, biting and full on fighting more.

It's at the point where I've taken her away for the afternoon from the group to eat grass in peace while the others stay as a trio.

I have a responsibility to them all, but her especially as she's got multiple health related problems. She's peaceful on her own, and actually starts to eat again when she's away from them.

They've all lived together for years, and I'd never expected to have to split them up and it's painful thinking of the options, but I'm honestly thinking about rehoming the other 3 as a trio and keeping her and her needs to herself.

I really REALLY don't like the idea of her living on her own, but realistically, the stress of living even with one other rabbit scares me, and frankly, it's not helping her emotionally.

I tried keeping just her and my neutered boy with her, and he attacks her violently, a rabbit who has always been docile.

What do I do? I'm torn but her health and medical background surely makes her priority?

Please help me make the right decision. What do I do? [emoji22] [emoji26]

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Can't you carry on as you are doing - with a stable trio and the poorly one on her own permanently? It sounds as though they are all coping better with that arrangement. I don't know how much space there is available, but I would be inclined to set her up with a separate safe space, even if she has less room.

So as I've mentioned previously, I have a Neatherland on palliative care who lives with 3 other bunnies. The alpha female started to exile her from the group, then the rest started to.

Now I know this is typical behaviour of grouped animals when a member of the 'pack' is weakened in some way, and totally instinct based and a natural process. So I tried to rebond for several weeks indoors. Tried banana on the head, tried no items in the enclosure to avoid territorial behaviour etc. It all seemed to be OK for several days then the chasing began again.

I think it's starting to effect her emotionally now. Now she just runs away, and it encourages the chasing, biting and full on fighting more.

It's at the point where I've taken her away for the afternoon from the group to eat grass in peace while the others stay as a trio.

I have a responsibility to them all, but her especially as she's got multiple health related problems. She's peaceful on her own, and actually starts to eat again when she's away from them.

They've all lived together for years, and I'd never expected to have to split them up and it's painful thinking of the options, but I'm honestly thinking about rehoming the other 3 as a trio and keeping her and her needs to herself.

I really REALLY don't like the idea of her living on her own, but realistically, the stress of living even with one other rabbit scares me, and frankly, it's not helping her emotionally.

I tried keeping just her and my neutered boy with her, and he attacks her violently, a rabbit who has always been docile.

What do I do? I'm torn but her health and medical background surely makes her priority?

Please help me make the right decision. What do I do? [emoji22] [emoji26]

Why do you have to rehome the trio?

I don't know whether they are outside bunnies, but I would keep the trio outside and bring the poorly one inside.

I can't speak for your particular circumstances though ...

Sorry guys I realised I missed out a few details in the above post :/

I rent a one bed house and pets aren't allowed indoors. I also have limited outdoor space. I'd have them outside in separate pens but the space is limited. Equally, I'm very conscious of them going up to each others enclosure during grass time and winding the other up and causing more stress. Does that make sense?

I just don't know what the best acting to take would be. I think my concern of separation is knowing it may still cause stress being very close together. I used to foster for the RSPCA for years and this was a common issue all us fosters shared. Some it effected, some it didn't, but for the most part the scent of the others irritated atleast one rabbit. And I don't want Blossoms scent to irritate my group of three and making them squabble :(

Back