• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clear Mucus/Jelly in droppings

I second what Roxy says about insurance- I have just had a vet bill close to a grand- and that was with an employee discount! I am very glad for the insurance!

I phoned an insurance company as soon as this happened. I knew that obviously they won't cover the current problem; but what they did say is that if this happens again in the future, they will be unable to cover it. I'm confused because the situation as it stands is that it's a very vague diagnosis of just "he has problems with his digestion and has bloating". It seems the issues rabbits get mostly relate to digestion, so does that mean any issue linked to digestion isn't something I can get covered through insurance now?

So what should I do now? In fact, it's probably my only withstanding question.
I want to speak to the vet and ask her opinion, but that won't happen until we get the results back now I think.

I'm not worried about the money. I'm happy to pay for insurance. I really wish I had done it on day one and would say this to anyone looking to get a pet rabbit. I had read lots about rabbits, researched their needs & spoke to people about all sorts, but not once did someone mention insurance and nor do I remember coming across it online. I had no idea how delicate rabbits could be and how expensive things like this would cost.

Update also; My partner has been giving him the meds. She said he's taken them pretty well; but he hasn't been leaving droppings or eating half as much as he normally would. But he's been having moment of hopping around the room and laying on the hot water bottle. But yeah; it doesn't sound like much improvement, but it's the first day of recovery I suppose.

Thanks again, everyone.

I phoned an insurance company as soon as this happened. I knew that obviously they won't cover the current problem; but what they did say is that if this happens again in the future, they will be unable to cover it. I'm confused because the situation as it stands is that it's a very vague diagnosis of just "he has problems with his digestion and has bloating". It seems the issues rabbits get mostly relate to digestion, so does that mean any issue linked to digestion isn't something I can get covered through insurance now?

I want to speak to the vet and ask her opinion, but that won't happen until we get the results back now I think.

I'm not worried about the money. I'm happy to pay for insurance. I really wish I had done it on day one and would say this to anyone looking to get a pet rabbit. I had read lots about rabbits, researched their needs & spoke to people about all sorts, but not once did someone mention insurance and nor do I remember coming across it online. I had no idea how delicate rabbits could be and how expensive things like this would cost.

Update also; My partner has been giving him the meds. She said he's taken them pretty well; but he hasn't been leaving droppings or eating half as much as he normally would. But he's been having moment of hopping around the room and laying on the hot water bottle. But yeah; it doesn't sound like much improvement, but it's the first day of recovery I suppose.

Thanks again, everyone.

I'm really sorry, it's a bummer about the insurance :(

But really, I am disappointed in the breeder. I won't say any more.

Thanks again, everyone.

Not eating or passing droppings may become GI stasis, a condition that can become serious quickly in bunnies. Also, some meds can make a bunny sleepy and slow digestion. Your vet may want you to syringe feed some recovery food.

And if he doesn't start pooping soon, as in the next few hours, you'll need to call the vet. With regards to insurance, hindsight is a great thing! Chat to the vet, and depending on the diagnosis, then there will likely be an exclusion based on that, but SOME insurers will cover something like stasis if it's not occurred again in a year (or other time frame stipulated by them). Have a search on here for insurance companies that people are using, I am with NCI.
I too am disappointed with the breeder.
Some parasites are passed to the babies via thier mother, and they don't become apparent until they leave thier mother because they are no longer covered by maternal immunity.

Not sure why everyone's disappointed in the breeder, unless I've missed something? :? This isn't exactly common so not unusual that she's not encountered it before. I've owned rabbits all my life and can only recall seeing this twice. Once almost 7 years ago with my rabbit Izzy when he was in stasis and once several months ago with Timmy. With Timmy I suspected it was new foods being introduced. I remember there being an orange tint to Timmy's mucus as well and I wasn't able to find out why so it's interesting that you've seen that too. Hopefully it was just the kale and you don't encounter anymore problems :)

Not eating or passing droppings may become GI stasis, a condition that can become serious quickly in bunnies. Also, some meds can make a bunny sleepy and slow digestion. Your vet may want you to syringe feed some recovery food.

He passed some droppings last night (thankfully) - he was also eating much more in the evening yesterday.
Hopefully he keeps this up and the digestion improves! The droppings don't look great, very soft and irregular, but it's better than nothing right now?

We're syringe feeding him multiple medications; some of which I think is recovery food.
He seemed perky this morning and will hopefully carry on moving around to help his gut.

I guess we don't know if it's something passed on from the mother, or perhaps a reaction to the kale which may have already worsened an already existing state; but things might become clearer after we get the results back.

Fingers crossed.

He passed some droppings last night (thankfully) - he was also eating much more in the evening yesterday.
Hopefully he keeps this up and the digestion improves! The droppings don't look great, very soft and irregular, but it's better than nothing right now?

We're syringe feeding him multiple medications; some of which I think is recovery food.
He seemed perky this morning and will hopefully carry on moving around to help his gut.

I guess we don't know if it's something passed on from the mother, or perhaps a reaction to the kale which may have already worsened an already existing state; but things might become clearer after we get the results back.

Fingers crossed.

Glad he is doing better. Recovery food is unlikely to be confused with other meds though, it looks like a sludge of mashed up wet nuggets. Actually moistening nuggets & adding a fruit or veg baby food (ellas kitchen) is an acceptable alternative. Its good he is getting hungry by himself now - hoping for more of the same

Fingers crossed.

Glad to here he's passed droppings :) His poos could well look misshapen at this stage and yes, it's better than nothing :)

Sounds a drastic reaction to the kale, but I suppose it can happen in a youngster. Yes, hopefully the results will shed light

Passing droppings, even misshapen and soft ones, shows that his GI tract is moving and that is a positive. Make sure he is drinking water too. Sending you and your lovely boy more positive vibes.

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the messages and help. It has been a huge help and given me somewhere to vent my worries & get multiple opinions! I will be giving some money to this forum to help out a little.

It's been around 5 days since the vet appointment.
He's seeming much better now! His tummy bloating has gone down almost completely now. He's eating LOTS, drinking plenty & his droppings seem to be more normal now! The vet did not find any infection/parasite from the sample which is great news. She can only assume it was the kale that did it!

Before I really sign off from this thread; is anyone able to recommend trustworthy and responsive companies that give good pet insurance for rabbits?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the messages and help. It has been a huge help and given me somewhere to vent my worries & get multiple opinions! I will be giving some money to this forum to help out a little.

It's been around 5 days since the vet appointment.
He's seeming much better now! His tummy bloating has gone down almost completely now. He's eating LOTS, drinking plenty & his droppings seem to be more normal now! The vet did not find any infection/parasite from the sample which is great news. She can only assume it was the kale that did it!

Before I really sign off from this thread; is anyone able to recommend trustworthy and responsive companies that give good pet insurance for rabbits?

Thanks,
Ryan

I am so pleased you have found help in the Forum - I have learned a lot from the 'experts' on here :D

Good luck with the insurance. Sounds like it could well be worth having .. I hope they don't put any exclusions on you :)

I am happy your bunny has returned to normal. It is a lesson well worth learning that some bunnies cannot tolerate certain foods as well as others. Good luck with the insurance. In NYS USA, I only have one option for pet insurance and the reviews are mixed.

Back