• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding a sister

julietct

New Kit
I have one bunny now and she is very sassy. She grunt more than I would like her to but I am wondering if it is because she is lonely. She gets lots of exercise and playtime everyday where she actively hops around but it doesn't seem to be changing. Would adding a sister help her? I wouldn't want to get another bunny and they not get along.

I have one bunny now and she is very sassy. She grunt more than I would like her to but I am wondering if it is because she is lonely. She gets lots of exercise and playtime everyday where she actively hops around but it doesn't seem to be changing. Would adding a sister help her? I wouldn't want to get another bunny and they not get along.

Hi Juliet :wave:

I would get a second bunny from a Rescue Centre, that way if the bond doesn't work out you can take him back. Yes, I would get a him rather than a her - a male/female bonding is far more likely to succeed than female/female.

A bunny will most often really appreciate a friend, as they get very lonely :)

Is she neutered? The grunting could be hormonal, or she could be defending her space.
Rabbits usually like a partner, but bonding should be between (not recently) neutered rabbits and on neutral ground. Rabbits with a full set of hormones will fight, and will defend their own territory from a stranger.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

We have a feisty girl too, who will nip my legs and ankles and sometimes chase me. She also makes a noise at times.

Since we got her, we have had her spayed and got her a male friend from a rescue centre. She has calmed down a lot and the two of them are adorable together, you can see how much she loves him. She's still got a 'side' to her, but it was the best thing we did.

Obviously there is work involved with bonding. Etc. You will find lots of good advice here x

Back