• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bianca this time...

My o/h agreed too so we are going to monitor her over the weekend. We are both off work Monday and Tuesday so if we need to we will book her in for then.

Yes, still giving Fenugreeks but only to Bea and Henry :)

I'm glad Bianca appears to be doing well for now, but I'd advise keeping an eye on that ulcer if you're not going ahead with a dental just yet. I can understand waiting to see the vet you trust.
Not to alarm you but a caveat here. I knew someone who had a bunny who needed frequent dentals. At one point he was showing signs but nothing that set off any unusual situation bells, but when she'd got the bunny to the vet he had sliced his tongue on the spur and most of it needed to be removed. She had lots of difficulty getting him to drink water properly afterwards and of course the recovery was problematic. He is still with us, but it's been a long row to hoe for him.

Just a thought. You don't want to let a thing like this go too long if you can help it.
Many vibes for dear Bianca winging their way to you. xxxx

Yes we definitely won't be leaving it too long. I think we will take her back at the start of next week and get it checked out again. I don't want to take any unnecessary chances either way :)
She's still doing well though and she is eating just fine. Until the incident yesterday (which was only for about an hour) there have been no signs whatsoever that she had anything wrong with her teeth.
I'm not saying that the vet is wrong though, he actually has a special interest in dental work so I'm definitely taking what he says seriously!

Yes we definitely won't be leaving it too long. I think we will take her back at the start of next week and get it checked out again. I don't want to take any unnecessary chances either way :)
She's still doing well though and she is eating just fine. Until the incident yesterday (which was only for about an hour) there have been no signs whatsoever that she had anything wrong with her teeth.
I'm not saying that the vet is wrong though, he actually has a special interest in dental work so I'm definitely taking what he says seriously!

I think you must be high among the most vigilant of bunny parents now Roxy. You've been through so much in a short space of time, a hugs learning curve. You probably know more than most of the rest of us.

If anyone's on the ball - you are :)

Joey has always had a little spur & its never caused any problems. A couple of years ago he went in to stasis & the vet he saw decided to bur it down. I was pretty sure his stasis was caused by anxiety over the horrific noise one of my OH's woodwork tools caused (it has since been banned) but the vet was a little dismissive of that idea. I never believed the spur was significant (he'd had a tooth check during his vaccination appointment 2 weeks earlier with FHB) & he had no cuts, mouth damage noted when he was under GA. I guess the difference with Bianca is the vet saw an ulcer but its really positive she has since been completely herself. Have you been continuing with metacam?

I think you must be high among the most vigilant of bunny parents now Roxy. You've been through so much in a short space of time, a hugs learning curve. You probably know more than most of the rest of us.

If anyone's on the ball - you are :)

I know about stasis and ear canal ablations. That's about it. I'd happily keep it that way too but I'm sure that there will be plenty of other rabbit related problems that I will have to educate myself on, unfortunately! But thanks, I try to not let anything slip through the net. I'm sure my vets must be sick to death of me! I've been 3 times in 10 days with 3 different rabbits :lol:

Joey has always had a little spur & its never caused any problems. A couple of years ago he went in to stasis & the vet he saw decided to bur it down. I was pretty sure his stasis was caused by anxiety over the horrific noise one of my OH's woodwork tools caused (it has since been banned) but the vet was a little dismissive of that idea. I never believed the spur was significant (he'd had a tooth check during his vaccination appointment 2 weeks earlier with FHB) & he had no cuts, mouth damage noted when he was under GA. I guess the difference with Bianca is the vet saw an ulcer but its really positive she has since been completely herself. Have you been continuing with metacam?

That's my problem I think. When Sy first got poorly my old vets said teeth straight away so he had a dental. Then he was under Molly for a while and she said his teeth were fine. We joined a new local vets soon after that we actually like a lot but once again, as soon as he was under the weather they said it was dental! Both times I went ahead and it didn't help him at all because his teeth weren't the problem!!!
I know that teeth can be the cause of many problems but I honestly believe that Sy had two dentals for nothing. I don't think his teeth were causing him any problems at all.

Bea didn't have any Metacam at all yesterday and she spent all day eating like a little piggy!

That's my problem I think. When Sy first got poorly my old vets said teeth straight away so he had a dental. Then he was under Molly for a while and she said his teeth were fine. We joined a new local vets soon after that we actually like a lot but once again, as soon as he was under the weather they said it was dental! Both times I went ahead and it didn't help him at all because his teeth weren't the problem!!!
I know that teeth can be the cause of many problems but I honestly believe that Sy had two dentals for nothing. I don't think his teeth were causing him any problems at all.

Bea didn't have any Metacam at all yesterday and she spent all day eating like a little piggy!

that's very encouraging. Hoping it continues

It's really difficult when vets disagree. What are you supposed to do?

I'm glad Bea is eating well today :D

Back