• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Asking for some positive vibes for Raven Update 7/30/18

On Monday 2/26/18 Raven had another dental after I noticed he was eating only the softer parts of the hay and greens which resulted in him having fewer/smaller poos. He was not eating many of his Oxbow timothy based pellets food. Prior to his dental I found a package of softer hay at the local pet food store and Ravan was eating it well until he had the dental. After the dental he only wants to eat some greens and only some of his hay. Vet had me give him Medicam for a few days and I also am syringe feeding him some critical care to keep his gut moving and to supplement his diet until his mouth feels better. Per the vets he had some redness, but no sores even though he had overgrowth on all his lower molars and some of his uppers. Please send Raven some positive vibes so he can get feel better soon.

Sending loads of positive vibes for Raven that he feels a lot better very soon xx

Thank you. Both Raven and Gemini have teeth issues with their molars even though they are both relatively young bunnies. Gemini's dental issues are more severe, yet occur more gradual. Raven's dental issues also involve his molars and they are moderate, yet Raven's eating habits can change quite quickly In the past my spouse and I were given a bunny with a malocclusion of her incisors. She needed to have her front teeth (uppers only usually) trimmed every 6-8 weeks for her entire life. Since she was tolerate and the vet was skilled, she got her incisors trimmed without GA. Gemini and Raven both require GA for their dentals.

I hope your bunny feels better too. Does your bunny have an issue with front or back teeth?

i hope you bunny i better. Mine has problems with her back teeth and it takes forever for her to feel better. I really hope everything gets better with your bunnys :) Lots of love from me & Nana <3

Raven is improving. He is eating the softer hay I was able to locate and is greens at a much slower pace than his usual self. Today I discontinued the syringe feeding. I am continuing his Medicam.

Raven is improving. He is eating the softer hay I was able to locate and is greens at a much slower pace than his usual self. Today I discontinued the syringe feeding. I am continuing his Medicam.

So pleased to read that Raven is doing better now. He could not have a more dedicated care giver and I am sure that all of your TLC helps him as much as any medication. Please give Raven a nose rub from me :love:

Good to hear this update :)

I hope he continues to improve x

So pleased to read that Raven is doing better now. He could not have a more dedicated care giver and I am sure that all of your TLC helps him as much as any medication. Please give Raven a nose rub from me :love:

Raven enjoys nose rubs so he will appreciate a few extra ones. Thank you for the kind thoughts, I needed a feel good moment today.

Thank you. He eats his pelleted rabbit food on and off. I am not sure if he is still having some mild discomfort when he eats it or if he just prefers the unusually soft hay and his greens. His activity level is back to normal.

After his dental last month, Raven improved for several weeks and even went back to shredding paper from his litter box and his cereal box. This morning I noticed he was not eating as much and he had hardly any poo I his litter box and they were smaller than his usual poo. This was within hours of my almost losing Dash to stasis so I did not hesitate to get Raven on fluids, critical care, and meds. His poos improved but he is being selective about what he eats. He did take the critical care quite well this evening. He was moulting a lot last week. I groomed him a lot and still could not keep him from shedding more. This week he is shedding still; however it is a small fraction of the fur he lost over a few days time last week.
We can use some positive vibes that his system just slowed from a bit of excess fur and he will be 100% soon.

My goodness T your Bunnies are certainly testing your stress levels at the moment aren't they :cry: On top of all your other worries I am sure that you are feeling somewhat drained. I really hope that Raven is 100% back to normal ASAP xx

After his dental last month, Raven improved for several weeks and even went back to shredding paper from his litter box and his cereal box. This morning I noticed he was not eating as much and he had hardly any poo I his litter box and they were smaller than his usual poo. This was within hours of my almost losing Dash to stasis so I did not hesitate to get Raven on fluids, critical care, and meds. His poos improved but he is being selective about what he eats. He did take the critical care quite well this evening. He was moulting a lot last week. I groomed him a lot and still could not keep him from shedding more. This week he is shedding still; however it is a small fraction of the fur he lost over a few days time last week.
We can use some positive vibes that his system just slowed from a bit of excess fur and he will be 100% soon.

Yes, sending loads of positive vibes. You really don't need an additional worry! One poorly bun is enough to cope with.

Zoobeck, Jack's Jane, and Mighty Max,

Thank you for your good thoughts. I am glad he is passing some material and nibbling a little hay even though he did not eat any pellets and he even left his dandelion greens. I wonder if he ingested some fur from his moult that has not passed and it makes him feel fuller. I will continue to give him fluids, Medicam, extra fluids, and syringe feedings along with motility meds. As soon as he saw that I was giving him an injection of Reglan he became a moving target. For such a little bunny he had a lot of spunk! This time I won and he got his injection.

About 14 hours ago I noticed Raven did not eat, drink or poo very much since the night before. When I picked him up he felt a little cooler than usual and he may have been having some discomfort. He is not shedding so I suspect he may need another dental (his last one was in February 2018. He got Medicam for discomfort, motility drugs, fluids, and some critical care. He started nibbling a little hay, but he stops after eating a strand or two. He got another batch of critical care and he also ate one dandelion leaf and one spring from a carrot top. Soon after he began peeing and his body temp felt normal. He also was more active. It took seven hours after his initial care for him to pass some poos. They are a bit small, but I was glad he is not obstructed. I just gave him his third batch of critical care and more motility meds. I plan on calling vets when they open in the morning to schedule a dental.
Please send Raven some positive vibes.

Oh dear, sending lots of vibes for Raven. As usual you are very on the ball and start treatment immediately so it sounds like he is already improving thanks to your excellent care. I hope the vets visit goes well :thumb:

Sorry to hear about Raven. Sending him lots of vibes and I hope, that if he needs a dental, it goes well.

About 14 hours ago I noticed Raven did not eat, drink or poo very much since the night before. When I picked him up he felt a little cooler than usual and he may have been having some discomfort. He is not shedding so I suspect he may need another dental (his last one was in February 2018. He got Medicam for discomfort, motility drugs, fluids, and some critical care. He started nibbling a little hay, but he stops after eating a strand or two. He got another batch of critical care and he also ate one dandelion leaf and one spring from a carrot top. Soon after he began peeing and his body temp felt normal. He also was more active. It took seven hours after his initial care for him to pass some poos. They are a bit small, but I was glad he is not obstructed. I just gave him his third batch of critical care and more motility meds. I plan on calling vets when they open in the morning to schedule a dental.
Please send Raven some positive vibes.

Sending many positive vibes and I hope he improves soon.

If he needs a dental I hope all goes well :wave:

Back