• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Asking for some positive vibes for Raven Update 7/30/18

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
I adopted Raven in August 2015 and was told he was about seven months old (he was born at the rescue a few days after his mom was rescued from a meat auction).
He is a netherland dwarf bunny and he originally had some intermittent issues with sneezing. In April 2016 he stopped eating and was treated with recovery food and gut motility drugs before the vet and I decided to knock him out to check his teeth. He had some small spurs on his molars which were removed. A few days later he was back to normal. In November, he stopped eating again, even his greens, and my regular vet was not available. About a week later he had another dental for minor molar spurs and skull X-rays which showed no abnormalities. Two and a half weeks ago he stopped eating again and I immediately scheduled a dental which he had two weeks ago. A few days after his dental (minor spurs on his molars, no damage to his tongue or mouth) he was back to eating well for about a week. On Friday, he stopped eating again and we saw the vet again yesterday. His teeth are fine. When he is syringe fed recovery food, he passes nice poos. He urinates normally and sufficiently. I have him back on metacam and gut motility drugs. Today he began nibbling hay and even a few pellets so I am asking for some positive vibes that he will continue to improve. Even though he is no longer my youngest, he will always be my baby and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I adopted Raven in August 2015 and was told he was about seven months old (he was born at the rescue a few days after his mom was rescued from a meat auction).
He is a netherland dwarf bunny and he originally had some intermittent issues with sneezing. In April 2016 he stopped eating and was treated with recovery food and gut motility drugs before the vet and I decided to knock him out to check his teeth. He had some small spurs on his molars which were removed. A few days later he was back to normal. In November, he stopped eating again, even his greens, and my regular vet was not available. About a week later he had another dental for minor molar spurs and skull X-rays which showed no abnormalities. Two and a half weeks ago he stopped eating again and I immediately scheduled a dental which he had two weeks ago. A few days after his dental (minor spurs on his molars, no damage to his tongue or mouth) he was back to eating well for about a week. On Friday, he stopped eating again and we saw the vet again yesterday. His teeth are fine. When he is syringe fed recovery food, he passes nice poos. He urinates normally and sufficiently. I have him back on metacam and gut motility drugs. Today he began nibbling hay and even a few pellets so I am asking for some positive vibes that he will continue to improve. Even though he is no longer my youngest, he will always be my baby and any suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds as though he is improving now and I hope that continues. I always find additional fluid therapy (SQ) to be beneficial in cases of gut stasis. I know you are limited to your access to fresh forage/brambles, but they too can be helpful at promoting gut motility. I also try to make sure that if the Bun is in moult I groom as much lose fur off daily to minimise the amount they can ingest when self grooming. Ingesting fur is not usually the cause of gut stasis, but it can exacerbate any gut motility problem that may already be going on.

If the Bun is gassy I give warm peppermint tea or alcohol free Gripe Water. I think you have Simethicone drops (for babies) in the US and that might be helpful for a gassy bunny. Some Vets dont think that simethicone or gripe water will do any good as Rabbits cant burp. But it is unlikely to do any harm and may be worth trying if Raven is gassy.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Sending lots of vibes for Raven. I hope he continues to eat well.

My only thought would be to try to include some forage in his diet, although I see from Janes's post that this is not so easy for you to obtain. We've seen from a fewl rabbits on the forum recently that food that is tolerated well by one rabbit, is not so well tolerated by another.

Sending lots of vibes for Raven, hope he continues nibbling. Do you have access to a supermarket that sells fresh herbs ? Flat parsley, mint, and basil all go down well.

Sending lots of vibes for Raven. I hope he continues to eat well.

My only thought would be to try to include some forage in his diet, although I see from Janes's post that this is not so easy for you to obtain. We've seen from a fewl rabbits on the forum recently that food that is tolerated well by one rabbit, is not so well tolerated by another.

Yes, this is so true. Just because one person has fed Rabbits a certain food for years with no problems does not mean the food type may not cause a problem for some Rabbits. I find Readigrass to be a food type that 'should' be OK for all Rabbits but IME it is not. I have had Rabbits who developed severe bloat if fed Readigrass.

All the best and brightest wishes I can muster that Raven will continue to improve and the cause of his distress can be isolated and treated. :love: xxxx

I am sitting here with my tea, and studying your post, as it seems there may be something else going on with Raven that hasn't yet been uncovered?

When he is eating normally, does he eat hay well?

He could of course be one of those rabbits who has wonky teeth, and no amount of hay will keep them at bay. When you feed him the Recovery food, is he hungry for it, or does he feel out of sorts?

Sending loads of vibes for Raven xx

[/B]

Yes, this is so true. Just because one person has fed Rabbits a certain food for years with no problems does not mean the food type may not cause a problem for some Rabbits. I find Readigrass to be a food type that 'should' be OK for all Rabbits but IME it is not. I have had Rabbits who developed severe bloat if fed Readigrass.

I read a lot of posts about Readigrass. What is it and where can I get some?

Sending lots of vibes for Raven, hope he continues nibbling. Do you have access to a supermarket that sells fresh herbs ? Flat parsley, mint, and basil all go down well.

Due to my limited access to forage, I purchase greens at the supermarket. He and my other bunnies are regularly receiving dandelion greens and the green tops from organic carrots (I have to share the carrots with family and friends!). I have seen flat parsley and may also try some other greens like Swiss Chard and Mustard Greens.

It sounds as though he is improving now and I hope that continues. I always find additional fluid therapy (SQ) to be beneficial in cases of gut stasis. I know you are limited to your access to fresh forage/brambles, but they too can be helpful at promoting gut motility. I also try to make sure that if the Bun is in moult I groom as much lose fur off daily to minimise the amount they can ingest when self grooming. Ingesting fur is not usually the cause of gut stasis, but it can exacerbate any gut motility problem that may already be going on.

If the Bun is gassy I give warm peppermint tea or alcohol free Gripe Water. I think you have Simethicone drops (for babies) in the US and that might be helpful for a gassy bunny. Some Vets dont think that simethicone or gripe water will do any good as Rabbits cant burp. But it is unlikely to do any harm and may be worth trying if Raven is gassy.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

When he was at the vets on Monday, he was not dehydrated. However, I still gave him some extra Sub Q fluids to keep his gut contents fully hydrated. This morning he came to me looking for more greens so I was very happy he was improving. This good feeling was tempered when I noticed Dash went into stasis. All my bunnies get a lot of hay. In fact, only one of my six bunnies, Gemini, is not a big hay eater. I will keep my fingers crossed and keep Raven on what is working while I try to sort out Dash's chronic, genetic issue.

Thanks Omi,

A few months ago I began purchasing many more greens at the supermarket and Raven and my other bunnies are getting dandelions and carrot tops daily. My bunnies now have their own drawer in the refrigerator and the cashier at the supermarket must think I am a very healthy eater! I may want to add some more variety.

Thank you. He made me smile when he came to me this morning. He was looking for some more greens which I was happy to provide.

Last edited:
On Monday 2/26/18 Raven had another dental after I noticed he was eating only the softer parts of the hay and greens which resulted in him having fewer/smaller poos. He was not eating many of his Oxbow timothy based pellets food. Prior to his dental I found a package of softer hay at the local pet food store and Ravan was eating it well until he had the dental. After the dental he only wants to eat some greens and only some of his hay. Vet had me give him Medicam for a few days and I also am syringe feeding him some critical care to keep his gut moving and to supplement his diet until his mouth feels better. Per the vets he had some redness, but no sores even though he had overgrowth on all his lower molars and some of his uppers. Please send Raven some positive vibes so he can get feel better soon.

On Monday 2/26/18 Raven had another dental after I noticed he was eating only the softer parts of the hay and greens which resulted in him having fewer/smaller poos. He was not eating many of his Oxbow timothy based pellets food. Prior to his dental I found a package of softer hay at the local pet food store and Ravan was eating it well until he had the dental. After the dental he only wants to eat some greens and only some of his hay. Vet had me give him Medicam for a few days and I also am syringe feeding him some critical care to keep his gut moving and to supplement his diet until his mouth feels better. Per the vets he had some redness, but no sores even though he had overgrowth on all his lower molars and some of his uppers. Please send Raven some positive vibes so he can get feel better soon.

Me and Nana are sending positive vibes from Slovenia :wave: <3 i hope he gets better soon! We are dealing with post teeth trimming also so i know how you feel. I wish you and Raven all the best and quick recovery.

Me and Nana are sending positive vibes from Slovenia :wave: <3 i hope he gets better soon! We are dealing with post teeth trimming also so i know how you feel. I wish you and Raven all the best and quick recovery.
Thank you. Both Raven and Gemini have teeth issues with their molars even though they are both relatively young bunnies. Gemini's dental issues are more severe, yet occur more gradual. Raven's dental issues also involve his molars and they are moderate, yet Raven's eating habits can change quite quickly In the past my spouse and I were given a bunny with a malocclusion of her incisors. She needed to have her front teeth (uppers only usually) trimmed every 6-8 weeks for her entire life. Since she was tolerate and the vet was skilled, she got her incisors trimmed without GA. Gemini and Raven both require GA for their dentals.

I hope your bunny feels better too. Does your bunny have an issue with front or back teeth?

Poor little chap :cry: I hope his sore mouth heals up soon. Did the Vet take any radiographs this time to assess his tooth roots. If his tooth roots are elongated that can make post dental discomfort last a bit longer than what may otherwise be the case.

Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Back