• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Asking for some positive vibes for Raven Update 7/30/18

About 14 hours ago I noticed Raven did not eat, drink or poo very much since the night before. When I picked him up he felt a little cooler than usual and he may have been having some discomfort. He is not shedding so I suspect he may need another dental (his last one was in February 2018. He got Medicam for discomfort, motility drugs, fluids, and some critical care. He started nibbling a little hay, but he stops after eating a strand or two. He got another batch of critical care and he also ate one dandelion leaf and one spring from a carrot top. Soon after he began peeing and his body temp felt normal. He also was more active. It took seven hours after his initial care for him to pass some poos. They are a bit small, but I was glad he is not obstructed. I just gave him his third batch of critical care and more motility meds. I plan on calling vets when they open in the morning to schedule a dental.
Please send Raven some positive vibes.

I hope that all will go well for Raven xx

Thank you Zoobec,, Omi, MM, and Jane for the positive vibes.

Raven had his dental today and the vet said he had some small sharp points on the tongue side of his lowers and the start of some points on the cheek side of his uppers.
The vet did not see any ulcers, cuts or irritation; although he said the sharp points on his lowers were likely causing him discomfort.
He got some Medicam and he is home and he is picking up greens and nibbling a little before stopping.
Based on his prior dentals; I expect he will need some syringe feeding later today.
Now that the dental issues are addressed, I just hope this was the only reason he was not eating/drinking/pooing.

Raven had his dental today and the vet said he had some small sharp points on the tongue side of his lowers and the start of some points on the cheek side of his uppers.
The vet did not see any ulcers, cuts or irritation; although he said the sharp points on his lowers were likely causing him discomfort.
He got some Medicam and he is home and he is picking up greens and nibbling a little before stopping.
Based on his prior dentals; I expect he will need some syringe feeding later today.
Now that the dental issues are addressed, I just hope this was the only reason he was not eating/drinking/pooing.

Loads of vibes for a smooth recovery x

Hope he starts eating, drinking and pooping again now he's had his dental, sending vibes for a good recovery

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Me too

Sending more vibes for him xx

Hello to all of my RU friends,
Raven had me worried on Wednesday when he was feeling worse than he did on Tuesday. He got a bit more pain meds, fluids, syringe feeds and a lot of attention. He was passing a few small poos so I continued the motility drugs he was getting prior to his dental. By Thursday he was improving; yet far from normal so I continued with the same regimen. On Friday he was trying to eat a bit more, but still not his normal amount. It took until yesterday, Saturday, before he was back to being his usual self. He even lunged at me and grunted when I touched his stuff (Raven is a good bunny who is fine with me picking him up and holding him; but he is very possessive of his stuff, which includes his poo and litter box). It made me smile. He is getting lots of dandelion greens and this morning he came to me for some head pets.

Again I thank all of you for your support.

I’m sorry Raven hasn’t been himself again, but as usual you were very proactive and I’m glad he is feeling better now :thumb:

I’m sorry Raven hasn’t been himself again, but as usual you were very proactive and I’m glad he is feeling better now :thumb:
Thank you for your vote of confidence. It took me years to know what people who go to this forum learn with a few clicks--know your bunny's normal behavior, plus how much/quickly they eat, drink, poo, pee. Even better is to handle the bunny every day to feel for weakness, emptiness, bloating, etc. Raven told me he was sick by not pooing, and even more so by not eating his greens and feeling weak. It also is so good to have a vet who I trust and who trusts me with some extra doses of medicam, motility drugs, and fluids so I can start treatment right away when a bunny has a recurring issue.

I echo the sentiments of Zoobec.

Sending lots more vibes xx

You are a good friend and I have benefited so much from your support and expertise along with that of others on this forum. Yesterday and today he is doing a magic act of making his dandelion greens disappear quickly. He makes them reappear a few hours later in a much different form!

You are a good friend and I have benefited so much from your support and expertise along with that of others on this forum. Yesterday and today he is doing a magic act of making his dandelion greens disappear quickly. He makes them reappear a few hours later in a much different form!

That did make me laugh !! :lol:

Hello to all of my RU friends,
Raven had me worried on Wednesday when he was feeling worse than he did on Tuesday. He got a bit more pain meds, fluids, syringe feeds and a lot of attention. He was passing a few small poos so I continued the motility drugs he was getting prior to his dental. By Thursday he was improving; yet far from normal so I continued with the same regimen. On Friday he was trying to eat a bit more, but still not his normal amount. It took until yesterday, Saturday, before he was back to being his usual self. He even lunged at me and grunted when I touched his stuff (Raven is a good bunny who is fine with me picking him up and holding him; but he is very possessive of his stuff, which includes his poo and litter box). It made me smile. He is getting lots of dandelion greens and this morning he came to me for some head pets.

Again I thank all of you for your support.

It is lovely to hear him enjoying his dandelion greens and head pets. What a super little chap he is, and lucky to have such an attentive owner as yourself.

I love it when they get back to their normal selves again. I always say to them that they are more themselves than they were before when they begin their previous antic with a vengeance :D

Jane, Omi, Zoobec, MM,

Raven is doing so much magic with his disappearing/reappearing dandelion trick that I have to go back to the market for more greens.

Raven is way more willing to get pets from my spouse than from me. I am the caregiver who takes him to the vets, gives him syringe feeding, gives fluids/shots, and administers meds. Who am I kidding, Raven liked my spouse best from day one. Maybe it is a male bonding thing.

It is so stressful when they are ill that the relief of them getting back to normal is a real comfort.

Thanks again to you and all at RU for your support.

Last edited:
Back