• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Limping bunny (front right leg)

Shadow my 4 year old Neverland dwarf started limping this morning and I have no idea why this is he was okay the night before and my mother put him away fine but he does go crazy hyper but he still walks on it but doesn't put too much presssure on it. I need someone else's opinion because I worry too much. Shadow is cleaning himself as normal and is using his leg still when he jumps up in this bench which makes me worried cuz I don't want him to damage it anymore. He is as crazy as ever he's been running about like normal it's just the leg and I'm not 100% sure but I think is making a different teeth grinding sound but the sound is quieter than his normal purring teeth grinding if that makes sense and the one that causes pain is meant to be louder than the happy one so I don't know if he's in pain or just happy to see me... and tell you the truth he started digging with his front paws which he is limping on, The only thing I can think of that happened to him was when we put in the way the night before about him being crazy he might of slipped or during the night he could've started playing in his run and hit it what do u think is wrong with my baby boy

The only way you can be certain is to get him seen by a vet. It could be anything from a broken bone to a sprain or torn nail. Generally, if you think there is something wrong, there usually is - trust your instinct - get him seen and properly assessed. If he is in pain, he will need to be prescribed some pain relief and it could stop him eating properly, so leading to gut issues as well. Can you get him booked in to see a vet tomorrow?

Yep, what Shimmer said - he needs to see the vet. Could be something simple like something in his paw, could be something major like a fractured bone due to him doing something daft in the night. He's evidently in pain with it and he's indicating that to you so he needs to see a professional as soon as possible. Good luck :)

Shadow my 4 year old Neverland dwarf started limping this morning and I have no idea why this is he was okay the night before and my mother put him away fine but he does go crazy hyper but he still walks on it but doesn't put too much presssure on it. I need someone else's opinion because I worry too much. Shadow is cleaning himself as normal and is using his leg still when he jumps up in this bench which makes me worried cuz I don't want him to damage it anymore. He is as crazy as ever he's been running about like normal it's just the leg and I'm not 100% sure but I think is making a different teeth grinding sound but the sound is quieter than his normal purring teeth grinding if that makes sense and the one that causes pain is meant to be louder than the happy one so I don't know if he's in pain or just happy to see me... and tell you the truth he started digging with his front paws which he is limping on, The only thing I can think of that happened to him was when we put in the way the night before about him being crazy he might of slipped or during the night he could've started playing in his run and hit it what do u think is wrong with my baby boy

I've had this before with rabbits. They can easily sprain a paw, and usually the front one. If it is this, and of course it may be something more serious (but if you say he's digging then hopefully not) then pain relief and rest should cure it.

You can't get Metacam without seeing a vet. It's not only a pain killer, but also an anti-inflammatory so it works on two levels, and is very helpful.

If it's not entirely better tomorrow, I would ring the vet. In the meantime, try and keep his movements restricted somewhat to give the paw some rest.

Good luck xx

The only way you can be certain is to get him seen by a vet. It could be anything from a broken bone to a sprain or torn nail. Generally, if you think there is something wrong, there usually is - trust your instinct - get him seen and properly assessed. If he is in pain, he will need to be prescribed some pain relief and it could stop him eating properly, so leading to gut issues as well. Can you get him booked in to see a vet tomorrow?

I agree with Shimmer too. Hopefully your Vet will be able to see Shadow today unless he is 100% better now xx

Sorry I haven't been active but he's still limping a little bit is walking on it a lot of the time, I haven't taken him to the vets yet because I simply can't afford to until I get payed at on Sunday but I do have some metacam at home do u think I should give him a little to see if it heals any faster

Personally I don't think he will have something big because he exactly the same as he was always been just zooming about slower and taking more care. In all seriousness I have a sprained leg too and I feel his pain so when mine goes his should be gone or I'll take him to the vets. The strange thing is it's the side that's hurting on both our legs 😂

Sorry I haven't been active but he's still limping a little bit is walking on it a lot of the time, I haven't taken him to the vets yet because I simply can't afford to until I get payed at on Sunday but I do have some metacam at home do u think I should give him a little to see if it heals any faster

Personally I don't think he will have something big because he exactly the same as he was always been just zooming about slower and taking more care. In all seriousness I have a sprained leg too and I feel his pain so when mine goes his should be gone or I'll take him to the vets. The strange thing is it's the side that's hurting on both our legs 😂

I would take him to the vets this week, before the Bank Holiday weekend. Out of hours vets are notoriously expensive and often not trained to deal with rabbits.

Have you a credit card? If not, can you arrange to pay the vet on Sunday? (only two days away).

I wouldn't like a rabbit to be in pain any more than I would a human.

I don't like seeing him like this I mean he honestly doesn't seem like he's in too much pain apart from not walking on it every so often but when he sits it's normally always off the ground

I don't actually have a credit card and I can't over draft with the account I have so I was thinking about taking a day off college to see doctors for myself then will take my baby to a vet

Like mighty max says, it's not fair to leave him in pain if he's struggling! Can you not borrow some money off family or friends?

I don't want to scare you but when my rabbit had 2 broken back legs, he had one lifted and still moved on the other without us knowing it was broken. I'm not for one minutes saying your bunny might have a broken leg, but please if he's suffering, surely a vet visit is the best thing?

I don't like seeing him like this I mean he honestly doesn't seem like he's in too much pain apart from not walking on it every so often but when he sits it's normally always off the ground

I don't actually have a credit card and I can't over draft with the account I have so I was thinking about taking a day off college to see doctors for myself then will take my baby to a vet

I think you've answered your own point ... If he wasn't in pain, he would be walking/hopping normally on it. Rabbits are programmed not to show pain or weakness, because they are prey animals.

It's been three days now. Guess you won't see a vet until Tuesday? (It being Bank Holiday weekend). I hope the week without treatment doesn't cause any further damage.

Good luck with him x

Where abouts are you? Can you maybe take him to a vets tomorrow? So then you don't have to take time off College?

really hope it's nothing too serious xx

I dont know if you may be eligible for help with Vet fees from the PDSA or the RSPCA ?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/financial

He doing really well I've been giving him a little pain killer to see if it eases it and he always has let me touch it and feel it without him hurting too much I'm probably going to have to take the whole week off college anyways cuz I need a operation so I'll be able to take shadow

He doing really well I've been giving him a little pain killer to see if it eases it and he always has let me touch it and feel it without him hurting too much I'm probably going to have to take the whole week off college anyways cuz I need a operation so I'll be able to take shadow

:D

I took one of mine on friday morning as she was holding up her front right leg.
£38 in total for consultation, metacam and also eye drops for conjunctivitis.
I was worried she had broken it but it was just a sprain luckily!

That's such good news glad she was okay I've got payed now so I'll be taking him next week my bunny tends to hurt himself a lot and and I no idea how he does it like he chipped his tooth really bad within a week of going back to the vets so he's prone to danger 😂 Btw does anyone have any tips on getting him to the vets without him having a panic attack because he doesn't like the car at all x

Unfortunately I think the car would be the quickest and least anxious way for him to travel. Walking/bus would take longer and be noisier. I'd put lots of hay in his pet carrier so he can hide in that and cover the pet carrier with a blanket so it's dark, it should help him feel more secure. I hope the vets trip goes well and your bunny is feeling better soon! x

That's such good news glad she was okay I've got payed now so I'll be taking him next week my bunny tends to hurt himself a lot and and I no idea how he does it like he chipped his tooth really bad within a week of going back to the vets so he's prone to danger 😂 Btw does anyone have any tips on getting him to the vets without him having a panic attack because he doesn't like the car at all x

I hope he gets to see a vet as soon as possible :)

Back