• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question about big house bunnies & stairs

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
I've been attempting to train the bunnies to use the stairs so they can have access to more of the house. Boo used them in the other house & is happy zooming up & down, Joey is fine, prefers up but can go down with enough incentive. Mouse is actually doing better than in the other house & has worked out how to go up after a few sessions. But she looks so nervous & unsteady on descent - she typically turns around & heads up again. Mouse is quite big at 3 kilo but is such a long bunny. I wonder if she'll master it in time.

So I wondered if anybody could share their experiences on larger bunnies managing (or not) the stairs?

Mr Big Bunny himself, Hector, manages to get his 8+ kg up and down with ease. His predecessor (frenchie) sort of lost control on descent and picked up speed but was always fine. :thumb:

My 3.5-4.5 kg rabbits have no problems with stairs (open stairs from the lower level up 3m to the garden) once they figured it out. I need to take care not to urge or spook them when herding them home, some get quite fast downstairs, not always sure if that is all under control...

thank you both. Your replies are encouraging . I hope she sticks with it & gains some confidence.

Does Hector do a few stairs at a time?

Back