• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loxicom dosage

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Bramble had her teeth done and they attempted to flush out her tear duct, but were unable to do so as it was very inflamed and infected. They've sent her home with baytril and loxicom, but the dose seems odd to me. She's a nethie and weighs 1.13kg and they've prescribed the cat version ie 0.5mg/ml. They've told me to give her 1ml a day. Does that seem a lot? Just wanted to get some views before I challenge it. Thanks.

Bramble had her teeth done and they attempted to flush out her tear duct, but were unable to do so as it was very inflamed and infected. They've sent her home with baytril and loxicom, but the dose seems odd to me. She's a nethie and weighs 1.13kg and they've prescribed the cat version ie 0.5mg/ml. They've told me to give her 1ml a day. Does that seem a lot? Just wanted to get some views before I challenge it. Thanks.

The dose range for meloxicam (active ingredient in Loxicom) ia 0.3mg-0.6mg/kg/day. So 1ml of the CAT Metacm would be 0.5mg which falls into the dose range for a 1.13kg Bunny :)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

I've given Doughnut the dog one at 0.5ml twice a day and sometimes 3 times a day and she weighs 1.2kg so don't worry you won't be overdosing!

Honestly, my brain is fried at the moment, been happily giving her the loxicom over the weekend and then this morning, thought hmm. I don't think it helped that the original amount that has been printed on the bottle label had been crossed out and a new dose handwritten on it. I'm happy to report that Bramble has bee. Back to the vet for her checkup after her procedure on Friday and the ulcer in her mouth is now just an area of redness. Bramble has been enjoying the sun today and has been nibbling her pear branch and humping Parsley's head so I think we can safely say she's feeling better!

Honestly, my brain is fried at the moment, been happily giving her the loxicom over the weekend and then this morning, thought hmm. I don't think it helped that the original amount that has been printed on the bottle label had been crossed out and a new dose handwritten on it. I'm happy to report that Bramble has bee. Back to the vet for her checkup after her procedure on Friday and the ulcer in her mouth is now just an area of redness. Bramble has been enjoying the sun today and has been nibbling her pear branch and humping Parsley's head so I think we can safely say she's feeling better!

Oh dear, poor Parsley !!

I'm glad that Bramble is feeling better xx

I think bunnies being poorly, cat Metacam and not dog, and overwriting of bottle labels is quite enough to fry my brain :shock:

So glad to hear that Bramble is feeling better :D

Back