Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should a shed stand on?

Warren Scout

Default What should a shed stand on?

I've bought a 7 x 5 foot rabbit shed and am about to get the ground prepared. I arranged a builder to make a concrete base for me but he's now saying he'd like to make a base out of breeze blocks which he says will be fox proof. I think this is because concrete takes a few days to set whereas he can make the base and put up the shed in the same day if he doesn't use concrete. However I'm concerned about whether breeze blocks will be stable enough (the shed is heavier one side than the other), whether they will be fox, badger etc proof (we live in the countryside and neighbouring chickens are disappearing every few weeks) and whether they will be plant proof (if any roots underneath try to come up).

Please can anyone advise? I have to get back to him today.

Mama Doe

Our big wendy house is on a level base of a couple of inches of sand with concrete flags on top. It has been fine for many years. The gap under the floor is only about 2-3" - so small beasties can get underneath in the gaps between the wood runners supporting the floor, but a fox definitely could not dig its way in. It also keeps the wood base off the soil completely - so it will last a lot longer before it rots.

Is he planning on making a full base with the breeze blocks or just lines of breeze blocks where it is needed to support the floor beams?
    It also depends on how stable and level the ground is.

Plastic bases are also available:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECO-SHED-B...-/181344673256

My shed is on paving slabs, sand base, levelled, slabs on top and ready to build shed on as soon as last slab was laid.

Mama Doe

I've got my new shed on a plastic grid base - and I would never go back to concrete / slabs ever again. With concrete / Slabs the water sits on it and rots the base (I found this out the hard way) whereas with the plastic / gravel it drains through. They are really easy to lay and quite cheap compared to a concrete base, and a while lot easier to take up too. Can't recommend them enough over the more traditional bases
    Bunny mum to Jessie, Blue, Noah (trio) Hettie & Sweep and troublesome River who is still waiting for the right man!
    Piggy mum to Mabel, Molly and Peaches

Remembering Skye, Woody, Maisie-pig and Marley-pig. Always in our hearts and very much missed

Looking for welfare orientated bunny boarding in Hampshire? Visit www.chestnutcorner.co.uk or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/chestnutcorner

Quote Originally Posted by catherine09 View Post
    I've got my new shed on a plastic grid base - and I would never go back to concrete / slabs ever again. With concrete / Slabs the water sits on it and rots the base (I found this out the hard way) whereas with the plastic / gravel it drains through. They are really easy to lay and quite cheap compared to a concrete base, and a while lot easier to take up too. Can't recommend them enough over the more traditional bases
    Not my thread but thanks so much for this, I'm thinking of putting up a big summer house and these look ideal and like I could do it myself!

Click the photo for my etsy shop, or follow me on facebook

Warren Scout

Thank you, that's really helpful. I called the builder back but haven't yet spoken to him so I have a little more time to think about it. The ground isn't very stable, it's half impacted lawn and half flower bed, the soil is clay and the shed has a bunny balcony so will be heavier on one side. I'll put up pictures once it's up. Had never heard of the plastic grid so thank you for that.

I use bricks on a level surface: the extra few inches means less contact for the wooden runners so less chance of rot It's only a playhouse though so easier to manoeuvre!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Our shed is on wooden batons straight onto the ground.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Warren Scout

Thank you, all. Went for a concrete slab in the end.

That looks ever so neat. Keep us posted about the progress of the build.
    [IMG][/IMG]