• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should a shed stand on?

Moonstone

Warren Scout
I've bought a 7 x 5 foot rabbit shed and am about to get the ground prepared. I arranged a builder to make a concrete base for me but he's now saying he'd like to make a base out of breeze blocks which he says will be fox proof. I think this is because concrete takes a few days to set whereas he can make the base and put up the shed in the same day if he doesn't use concrete. However I'm concerned about whether breeze blocks will be stable enough (the shed is heavier one side than the other), whether they will be fox, badger etc proof (we live in the countryside and neighbouring chickens are disappearing every few weeks) and whether they will be plant proof (if any roots underneath try to come up).

Please can anyone advise? I have to get back to him today.

Our big wendy house is on a level base of a couple of inches of sand with concrete flags on top. It has been fine for many years. The gap under the floor is only about 2-3" - so small beasties can get underneath in the gaps between the wood runners supporting the floor, but a fox definitely could not dig its way in. It also keeps the wood base off the soil completely - so it will last a lot longer before it rots.

Is he planning on making a full base with the breeze blocks or just lines of breeze blocks where it is needed to support the floor beams?
It also depends on how stable and level the ground is.

Plastic bases are also available:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECO-SHED-...LASTIC-ECO-SLAB-GREENHOUSE-BASE-/181344673256

My shed is on paving slabs, sand base, levelled, slabs on top and ready to build shed on as soon as last slab was laid. ;)

I've got my new shed on a plastic grid base - and I would never go back to concrete / slabs ever again. With concrete / Slabs the water sits on it and rots the base (I found this out the hard way) whereas with the plastic / gravel it drains through. They are really easy to lay and quite cheap compared to a concrete base, and a while lot easier to take up too. Can't recommend them enough over the more traditional bases

I've got my new shed on a plastic grid base - and I would never go back to concrete / slabs ever again. With concrete / Slabs the water sits on it and rots the base (I found this out the hard way) whereas with the plastic / gravel it drains through. They are really easy to lay and quite cheap compared to a concrete base, and a while lot easier to take up too. Can't recommend them enough over the more traditional bases

Not my thread but thanks so much for this, I'm thinking of putting up a big summer house and these look ideal and like I could do it myself!

Thank you, that's really helpful. I called the builder back but haven't yet spoken to him so I have a little more time to think about it. The ground isn't very stable, it's half impacted lawn and half flower bed, the soil is clay and the shed has a bunny balcony so will be heavier on one side. I'll put up pictures once it's up. Had never heard of the plastic grid so thank you for that.

I use bricks on a level surface: the extra few inches means less contact for the wooden runners so less chance of rot :) It's only a playhouse though so easier to manoeuvre!

Back