• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to fresh forage - are these brambles, please?

RosemaryG

Warren Scout
Hi all

Our buns normally get fresh herbs and dried forage along with their hay & pellets but spotting the property next door to ours is empty and the garden very overgrown, I had a quick look. Can someone confirm these are indeed brambles and are ok to feed to the bunnies in ther entirety? Thanks

Very scrummy looking brambles ❤️❤️❤️

Your buns should be very happy with those [emoji4]They're a big favourite with my buns [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

Our buns normally get fresh herbs and dried forage along with their hay & pellets but spotting the property next door to ours is empty and the garden very overgrown, I had a quick look. Can someone confirm these are indeed brambles and are ok to feed to the bunnies in ther entirety? Thanks

Lovely young bramble shoots - probably not too picky either?

Yum for the buns x

Thanks for all your replies, I've picked some of the newest, freshest shoots. Will try them with a couple of leaves with their dinner tonight

Thanks for all your replies, I've picked some of the newest, freshest shoots. Will try them with a couple of leaves with their dinner tonight

Brambles are the one forage (in my experience) that bunnies adjust to really quickly. It's so good for their digestion - full of fibre, vitamin C and a good amount of minerals :thumb:

They may not eat the growing tips: they often contain a foul-tasting chemical for exactly the reason that bunnies like brambles :thumb: Also if you cut the tips the sideshoots will go mental!

Hi all

Can rabbits have spear grass as you can see we have a lot!!
cf2475614b486b53ee9839cd7980ce79.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also to do with the brambles do you have to put them up somewhere because if you lay them on the floor will the rabbit spike its foot??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The spikes really don't seem to bother rabbits. I tend to keep the stems loosely together in a corner so that the left over bits are easier on the fingers when I am cleaning up. They could also be hung so that the rabbits have to reach up slightly for them, as they would in the wild. You could use clothes pegs to fasten them on the sides of a run or mesh door.

Back