• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Fever

CometLucy195

Alpha Buck
I've read about this on here and the difficulty in bonding during this time, is this over now? I know it sounds daft but I'm waiting to bond two single buns and it's been putting me off. Is this really 'a thing?'

I've read about this on here and the difficulty in bonding during this time, is this over now? I know it sounds daft but I'm waiting to bond two single buns and it's been putting me off. Is this really 'a thing?'

Yes, it's a recognised thing CL, and you are wise to hold off perhaps until next month or so.

But what sex are the buns? I would go ahead with a male/female any time of year!

I found this for you:

During spring wild rabbits are at their peak breeding time, with hormones massively heightened.
Within domestic rabbits, social, sexual and even aggressive behaviours may surface, although most are as a rule mild. Does may dig out new burrows (or attempt to!), aggression between other rabbits and people may appear, an increase in chasing and mounting behaviours and ‘chinning’ items to mark territory may all become apparent.

Why does this happen in spring?
Rabbits are clever and like all animals known when spring is approaching. As the day length increases and the temperature rises this triggers rabbits into ‘spring mode’ and their hormones heighten, leading to behaviours that will be driven by them. Some of which are those we aim to eliminate through neutering.

Hi MM, thanks for your help, you are always so good and reliable at helping people!
I'm bonding Dave, my newest bun, he was neutered 24th March, and Lucy who's neutered. So male/female. Today I put Lucy in a hutch/run Combo next to Dave, so they can talk to each other through the mesh for a bit. Just need to find a few clear days, and a neutral area to start. Then they'll go into Dave's set up until I get the aviary run split...
I seem to spend all my spare time sorting the rabbits at the moment, I'll be glad when they're all in their eventual places!

Hi MM, thanks for your help, you are always so good and reliable at helping people!
I'm bonding Dave, my newest bun, he was neutered 24th March, and Lucy who's neutered. So male/female. Today I put Lucy in a hutch/run Combo next to Dave, so they can talk to each other through the mesh for a bit. Just need to find a few clear days, and a neutral area to start. Then they'll go into Dave's set up until I get the aviary run split...
I seem to spend all my spare time sorting the rabbits at the moment, I'll be glad when they're all in their eventual places!

You're very kind CL :love:

Rabbits do take a lot of manoeuvring but hopefully once settled there will be some peace for you all!

Back