• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay Adhesions

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any experience of a Doe who developed adhesions after a routine spay which went on to cause significant GI tract problems- ie stasis/bloat/GI obstruction ?

If surgery was carried out to try to remove the adhesions was it successful or did more adhesions occur as a result of corrective surgery ?

My only experience of this did not end well. The Doe did have corrective surgery but more ahesions did occur and she developed a full GI tract obstruction from which she did not survive. It was a horrible, horrible death and I vowed that I would never again opt for more surgery to try to remove post spay adhesions. It was many years ago that I lost the Doe and I was with a different Vet at the time. Thankfully I have not encountered the issue again....................until now :cry:

Any advice and/or opinions welcome x

Possibly - she died 3 weeks later and 'adhesions' was mentioned when she was having the surgery to find out why her stomach was getting so big. I've not had the detailed account that I need to understand but my feelings at the time was it was post-spay complications.

I have suggested adhesions as a topic for Frances HB to cover for the next owners' day, not sure if it will make it to the agenda though.

It is Eliza you have concerns about?

Possibly - she died 3 weeks later and 'adhesions' was mentioned when she was having the surgery to find out why her stomach was getting so big. I've not had the detailed account that I need to understand but my feelings at the time was it was post-spay complications.

I have suggested adhesions as a topic for Frances HB to cover for the next owners' day, not sure if it will make it to the agenda though.

It is Eliza you have concerns about?

Thanks BB, yes it is Eliza. She's very poorly again :cry:

Thanks BB, yes it is Eliza. She's very poorly again :cry:

So sorry. It was suggested as a possibility for Erin at one point too but *touch wood* not been anything concerning in that regard for some time. When I was discussing Erin someone did post about surgery to improve it, as I remember, with some success. It was however fairly recently after the surgery so not sure about the long-term. I've absolutely no idea what decision I would make in those circumstances, it's a very tough call.

Im sorry about Eliza. : (
Can you have your vet research if there are not more non-invasive ways to free adhesions? Cold laser perhaps?

Out of curiousity, can adhesions be detected via ultrasound?

I'm sure I read about a case up at Royal (Dic k) vet school where they did a CT which showed adhesions, they did go in and operate and as far as I know it was successful. I guess they had a lot of information from the CT which would have enabled them to work out in advance of the surgery exactly what they needed to do and where. Really tricky one :(

edit: copied from their FB page from July last year

"Introducing Nala, a lovely bunny and an interesting and challenging case!
Nala had been suffering with recurring episodes of gastrointestinal stasis, a common, but often serious condition in rabbits. Thankfully, Nala's owner was aware how dangerous this can be for rabbits and always made sure Nala received prompt treatment.
Initially Nala responded to medical treatment alone, however the episodes started to increase in both frequency and severity. We performed a number of tests allowing us to diagnose her problem.
Unfortunately we discovered part of Nala's large bowel had become stuck (due to adhesions) in a very abnormal position around her bladder and abdominal fat. As a result, the intestines were fixed in position in clustered loops, with numerous tight U-bends. This repeatedly affected food movements through the guts and Nala kept suffering from repetitive obstructions in this area.
To solve her problem, we undertook a delicate abdominal surgery to break down the many adhesions and release the guts back into a more normal position.
Thankfully for Nala, her procedure went very well and she has made a full recovery."

I'm sorry to just be seeing this now, Jane. You know you have all my best and brightest vibes for dear Eliza that she will be able to be helped if this is indeed the case for her. I wish I had some tips for you, but have never dealt with this myself. :(

Keeping you in my thoughts as always. xxxx

Does anyone have any experience of a Doe who developed adhesions after a routine spay which went on to cause significant GI tract problems- ie stasis/bloat/GI obstruction ?

If surgery was carried out to try to remove the adhesions was it successful or did more adhesions occur as a result of corrective surgery ?

My only experience of this did not end well. The Doe did have corrective surgery but more ahesions did occur and she developed a full GI tract obstruction from which she did not survive. It was a horrible, horrible death and I vowed that I would never again opt for more surgery to try to remove post spay adhesions. It was many years ago that I lost the Doe and I was with a different Vet at the time. Thankfully I have not encountered the issue again....................until now :cry:

Any advice and/or opinions welcome x

Sorry to resurrect an old post Jack's-Jane however I was doing a search after hearing the results of Delilah's PM. It turns out that the reason for her stasis was fatty adhesions post spay. Her stasis occurred 6 months after the op.

I'm sorry you lost a bunny this way too :(

Sorry to resurrect an old post Jack's-Jane however I was doing a search after hearing the results of Delilah's PM. It turns out that the reason for her stasis was fatty adhesions post spay. Her stasis occurred 6 months after the op.

I'm sorry you lost a bunny this way too :(

Thank you for taking the time to reply whilst you are in a state of such grief :cry: I really am so sorry for your loss of Delilah :cry:

Back