• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leroy & Little Girl Living Together

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
These two are finally living together after several months. We are on day 4. There is no mounting and only occasional brief chasing. They touch noses and he frantically grooms her, but I have not seen her groom him. When I go to visit them, she is usually sitting in his cage and he is in hers. (The doors are always open into the x pen so they have access to more room, toys, litter boxes, water, etc.) I have not seen them sitting together for more than a brief second - she scampers away from him. When they are loose in the yard, they go their own way mostly, moving nearer together for short munching sessions and then hopping off again. He seems frustrated in their living space and is happy to be pet by the humans - he's cuddled on hubby's lap right now.

I was hoping for more of a love bond - can it still happen?

ETA: I just checked on them - making progress!! He was laying down and she was sitting an inch from his head, facing him.

Last edited:
That sounds really promising. It is so rewarding seeing them with a friend (or friends) isnt it?

Hope all continues to go well.

Yes! tulsi. From the time I first got buns, I envisioned a pair living together. It is rewarding to see the progress. This morning, they were sitting together in the large litter box. I gave them a piece of pear and while Leroy took it first, Little Girl came right up and nibbled on it with him - no squabbling.

I told hubby he must include, "bonded a pair of rabbits" in my obituary :)

Yes I truly believe they can, and probably will, be properly loved up in time. I guess one of the benefits of bonding in a small space is that they have no choice but to interact & sort out their issues. This is by no means a criticism, I bond my bunnies in a big space. It sounds fine to me so far. In most of my bonds there has been one bunny who does more than his / her fair share of grooming. This too can change over time, Mouse took months to groom my other 2 & about 18 months to be doing it with any regularity.

They are officially in love! She is grooming Leroy now. Today while they were in their pen, they sat scrunched together, taking turns grooming. When they are free roaming in the yard, she wants to be where he is. And they both seem friendlier towards their human slaves. I have a chair in the pen where I can sit with them and Leroy jumped up on my lap several times today.

They are officially in love! She is grooming Leroy now. Today while they were in their pen, they sat scrunched together, taking turns grooming. When they are free roaming in the yard, she wants to be where he is. And they both seem friendlier towards their human slaves. I have a chair in the pen where I can sit with them and Leroy jumped up on my lap several times today.

Great update:love: we need pics ;)

How lovely :love:

MM (or anyone else),

Do you see the litter box at the far end of the hutch?

Hubby just built a "wing addition" on both ends of the hutch which increases the width to 8 ft. The "wings" are not covered at this point - just wire mesh - I've put their litter boxes that they used indoors in these spots. They both jump in/out and much hay, but are still toileting in the nesting area.

Should the litter box areas have a cover so they can't see out? Do they prefer dark corners and privacy?

MM (or anyone else),

Do you see the litter box at the far end of the hutch?

Hubby just built a "wing addition" on both ends of the hutch which increases the width to 8 ft. The "wings" are not covered at this point - just wire mesh - I've put their litter boxes that they used indoors in these spots. They both jump in/out and much hay, but are still toileting in the nesting area.

Should the litter box areas have a cover so they can't see out? Do they prefer dark corners and privacy?

They look very content:love: I just put litter boxes where they go to the toilet most. Sometimes you need multiple litter boxes. If you have moved the litter box from the nesting area that could be why they are using that area. They won't want to eat the hay or use the litter if it gets rained on so a cover to that area would be good, or you could use a big tall box with a lid and then cut an access hole into the side.

I just moved the litter boxes from inside the house to the outside hutch. Their litter boxes can't fit in the nesting area of the hutch which is why hubby built on the additions. I was hoping they would use them rather than the corner of their "bedroom." I did partially cover the new additions last evening with a tarp and they seem to love sitting in the LB, but not sure they are toileting in them. Maybe in time.

Back