• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood Shavings...

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Ok, so for those of you who know my history know i wont use sawdust/shavings because of what Lady Blue went through...
But... i'm having an issue in my bunnies hutch, they've decided instead of peeing in the corners they want to pee at the top of the ramp leading upstairs...
I clean them out every other day, they're on Straw and Hay now..
because i have 4 fluffs peeing there all day it's actually damaging the wood now, it's all bubbled up and peeling!
I've found a small bag of old sawdust and found that sprinkling that on the wet wood and rubbing it in is helping, but i dont want it there permanently!

Not sure what else to do, i dont want anything in there hutch that's not natural and completely 100% safe to eat (due to Daisy's Gi stasis)

I was looking on Vetuk at wood shavings, thinking maybe to put a small amount under the straw and hay only on that part of the house - However i don't know what ones are "safe" woods to use, ive heard so many conflicting pieces of information..

The one im looking at says this;

"Pillow Wad Woodshavings 1kg have excellent absorbency and drying properties, this is because only large shavings, not sawdust, are used in this high quality product. Each year, more and more of these wood shavings are being sourced from well managed and sustainable UK based forests.
These woodshavings are made from Norwegian spruce pine and other soft woods and have the pleasant, natural aroma of kiln dried pinewood.
Suitable for rabbits, snakes, reptiles, birdcages and many other small domestic pets. "

What do you guys think? Also any recommendations of edible safe bedding purely for the wet area would be great!

-Has to be completely edible as my lot eat their bedding?! They have loads of fresh hay to eat yet they choose to eat their bedding (Hence the issue with the shredded cardboard causing a blockage in Daisy)

just a thought, could you buy stick on tiles?.. when Snoopy was outside he always managed to pee on the side of his hutch and get it all down the side. i brought some stick on tiles to place in the corners. instead rather than ruining the hutch you can just wipe clean the tiles and if they get ruined they're really easy to repair. i know they're not edible though :/

or i know rubbing on vinegar in the area that you don't want them to pee can stop it eventually. they don't like the smell of it or the taste, so it deters my little girl from peeing all over the place or in new corners lol. they're in plastic though, so im not sure how it would work with wood.

just a thought, could you buy stick on tiles?.. when Snoopy was outside he always managed to pee on the side of his hutch and get it all down the side. i brought some stick on tiles to place in the corners. instead rather than ruining the hutch you can just wipe clean the tiles and if they get ruined they're really easy to repair. i know they're not edible though :/

or i know rubbing on vinegar in the area that you don't want them to pee can stop it eventually. they don't like the smell of it or the taste, so it deters my little girl from peeing all over the place or in new corners lol. they're in plastic though, so im not sure how it would work with wood.

it's such a small area, it's probably 6inches long by only 4inches wide. I don't think the tiles would stick now, it's far too damp :(
It has this tray draw thing on the top floor, that you can pull out, i dont use it though, but the gap between that and the ramp is where they're peeing

We're moving in June and they'll be having a shed like enclosure with an open enclosure attached so i dont have to shut them into the hutch at night, im hoping this may work better, as i can put a litter tray down inside the indoor bit and maybe they'll use that?!

I use megazorb, its cheap & effective & safe (its paper based). I used to occassionally use wood based litter til I recently read a link posted by mighty max - pine is scary

I use megazorb, its cheap & effective & safe (its paper based). I used to occassionally use wood based litter til I recently read a link posted by mighty max - pine is scary

Yes, and especially in a confined area - would be worse.

Megazorb is something I thought of reading your thread Sharpie.

Why won't these buns just stick to litter trays?
Reading about Phoebe peeing on the sofa and your pee stained rugs JB :roll:

Yes, and especially in a confined area - would be worse.

Megazorb is something I thought of reading your thread Sharpie.

Why won't these buns just stick to litter trays?
Reading about Phoebe peeing on the sofa and your pee stained rugs JB :roll:

not yet. They are holding it all in til decent flooring is down:lol:

not yet. They are holding it all in til decent flooring is down:lol:

I am getting my front room sanded, so my bunnies will have a chance to spoil my nice wood floor too :lol:

Sorry to divert the thread Sharpie - I'll take this discussion over to Home Savers xx

I was going to suggest lino. Once the wood has dried out, it will stop further damage if they don't eat it.

A piece of thick cardboard may help as a temporary measure under the hay - again, if they don't eat it.

There are a few alternative options to wood shavings - megazorb, auboise, etc

Back