Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone given rabbits thyme to expell worms?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I know that Wormwood is the best anti-worm/parasite herb, but I wouldn't risk feeding it to the buns.
    I do feed it when available (Artemisia vulgaris), not seperatly but a handfull mixed with their forage now and then.

I can't bunny burrito mine properly - and I used to have to do that in vet practice with cats that are trying to eat me!

I find it easier to throw a towel over my girls, then sit over the top of them on my knees so they're in between. Enough pressure to hold them still then I can lean over them and force meds into their mouths. They can't physically run backwards as I'm sitting on them lol

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    I can't bunny burrito mine properly - and I used to have to do that in vet practice with cats that are trying to eat me!

I find it easier to throw a towel over my girls, then sit over the top of them on my knees so they're in between. Enough pressure to hold them still then I can lean over them and force meds into their mouths. They can't physically run backwards as I'm sitting on them lol

Hmm I might give this go. Netherlands are just so speedy and jumpy though.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Hmm I might give this go. Netherlands are just so speedy and jumpy though.

I found once I threw the towel over them, they stopped trying to run away

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    I found once I threw the towel over them, they stopped trying to run away

Right. This sounds like a plan. I did used to do that to my cat when he was being a little monster. He calmed down when he couldn't see. I like your thinking.

So a small update. Just had an answer phone message from the vet whilst I was out.

She doesn't think it's pin worms and still thinks it's behavioural. Which is annoying because surely if pip was bored or stressed she'd constantly be pulling fur or biting herself raw? I can't find anything online about a bunny pulling fur in 4-6 week cycles as a behaviour problem. To be honest I can't find much other than the two documents that mentioned pin worms causing gas like symptoms in severe cases.

She said we can have panacur if we want though.

I'm a bit of a loss what to do now. I feel that there is something not right with pip and it may not be worms and wish the vet seemed more interested in trying to help.

On the plus side she has been yumming up the thyme with no pooping issues. (Archie won't touch it though!) So maybe she knows she needs the thyme to help her?

So I guess I have a few options.

1 see another vet for a second opinion

2 try the panacur

3 keep giving her thyme every other day for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

4 accept the vets opinion and just know that every 4-6 weeks Pip will go into stasis unless we are there to help her. Really don't think this is an option because it's very stressful for us and most importantly her!

Any ideas ?

So a small update. Just had an answer phone message from the vet whilst I was out.

She doesn't think it's pin worms and still thinks it's behavioural. Which is annoying because surely if pip was bored or stressed she'd constantly be pulling fur or biting herself raw? I can't find anything online about a bunny pulling fur in 4-6 week cycles as a behaviour problem. To be honest I can't find much other than the two documents that mentioned pin worms causing gas like symptoms in severe cases.

She said we can have panacur if we want though.

I'm a bit of a loss what to do now. I feel that there is something not right with pip and it may not be worms and wish the vet seemed more interested in trying to help.

On the plus side she has been yumming up the thyme with no pooping issues. (Archie won't touch it though!) So maybe she knows she needs the thyme to help her?

So I guess I have a few options.

1 see another vet for a second opinion

2 try the panacur

3 keep giving her thyme every other day for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

4 accept the vets opinion and just know that every 4-6 weeks Pip will go into stasis unless we are there to help her. Really don't think this is an option because it's very stressful for us and most importantly her!

Any ideas ?

Mervinius (I love your user name!)

I would do 1, 2, and 3

I wouldn't accept going into stasis every 4 - 6 weeks and I don't think you would be happy about that either. Of course more diagnostics will be expensive - is she insured?

Mervinius (I love your user name!)

I would do 1, 2, and 3

I wouldn't accept going into stasis every 4 - 6 weeks and I don't think you would be happy about that either. Of course more diagnostics will be expensive - is she insured?
    Thanks Mighty Max.

Do you know any other good rabbit vets near poole in dorset? Or is there a list on here somewhere? I'm definitely going to keep feeding her thyme as she likes it anyway.

I think I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow and actually talk to her about it read because I'm not sure the receptionist passed on my whole message properly.

Thanks Mighty Max.

Do you know any other good rabbit vets near poole in dorset? Or is there a list on here somewhere? I'm definitely going to keep feeding her thyme as she likes it anyway.

I think I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow and actually talk to her about it read because I'm not sure the receptionist passed on my whole message properly.

You could have a peek here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vet...england/dorset

Or you could start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations

You could have a peek here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vet...england/dorset

Or you could start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations
    Thanks. Just had a look and there's only two which are quite far away. Will do a post tomorrow asking for recommendations. Time for me to eat some dinners myself x