Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone given rabbits thyme to expell worms?

Default Has anyone given rabbits thyme to expell worms?

Hello everyone.

We are still trying to work out what is causing pip to pull her fur and get gas every 4-6 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since the last episode so I'm on careful watch. She was a bit gassy last night but there was no fur pulling.

I found an article today online that said worms have a 4-6 week cycle and can give gas like symptoms every 4-6 weeks!

I haven't seen any worms yet, but it does say you can't see the eggs and not always the worms.

I have phoned my vets they were very busy. But said they would phone back next week to let me know if they can test her poop or whether they just treat them both anyway to see if it solves her problems.

So in the mean time I've seen that thyme can expell worms so I've tried them with a few sprigs tonight which Pip gobbled up once she got over the new smell.

Has anyone else tried this? Or know if we'd have to give them thyme every day? It's a new food so I need to introduce it slowly at first.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Hello everyone.

We are still trying to work out what is causing pip to pull her fur and get gas every 4-6 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since the last episode so I'm on careful watch. She was a bit gassy last night but there was no fur pulling.

I found an article today online that said worms have a 4-6 week cycle and can give gas like symptoms every 4-6 weeks!

I haven't seen any worms yet, but it does say you can't see the eggs and not always the worms.

I have phoned my vets they were very busy. But said they would phone back next week to let me know if they can test her poop or whether they just treat them both anyway to see if it solves her problems.

So in the mean time I've seen that thyme can expell worms so I've tried them with a few sprigs tonight which Pip gobbled up once she got over the new smell.

Has anyone else tried this? Or know if we'd have to give them thyme every day? It's a new food so I need to introduce it slowly at first.

Some rabbits like thyme and other find it a bit strong

What kind of worms are you thinking of M?

*** Some rather graphic photos/pictures in these links***

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise.../Nematodes.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Parasit...sites_main.htm

A nine day course of Panacur deals with pinworms

Hi Mightymax

Yes she wasn't keen at first but it disappeared into her mouth eventually. Not sure if Archie ate any though.

Yeah I've looked at a lot of icky photos and it definitely puts you off your dinner.

It was pin worms I think. Yeah I expect the vet will say we can use panacur but they might want me to bring them in first which would have to wait till next Thurs. So was hoping thyme might help in the mean time.

Hi Mightymax

Yes she wasn't keen at first but it disappeared into her mouth eventually. Not sure if Archie ate any though.

Yeah I've looked at a lot of icky photos and it definitely puts you off your dinner.

It was pin worms I think. Yeah I expect the vet will say we can use panacur but they might want me to bring them in first which would have to wait till next Thurs. So was hoping thyme might help in the mean time.

I know that Wormwood is the best anti-worm/parasite herb, but I wouldn't risk feeding it to the buns. I don't know of the therapeutic dose for thyme but I would probably go down a conventional route for something like this. Not like me to be saying that

Yeah we will be going the conventional route to be sure. I just want to help Pip cos she looks so sorry for herself when she's in pain.

Just thought the thyme couldn't hurt whilst we wait to hear back from the vets.

Our scamps really don't like medication or being held. (Unless we are at the vets and then I'm the safe one) haha. Any ideas how to give them the meds. I guess it is a syringe job?

Yeah we will be going the conventional route to be sure. I just want to help Pip cos she looks so sorry for herself when she's in pain.

Just thought the thyme couldn't hurt whilst we wait to hear back from the vets.

Our scamps really don't like medication or being held. (Unless we are at the vets and then I'm the safe one) haha. Any ideas how to give them the meds. I guess it is a syringe job?

If they end up on panacur paste I always feed it on a malted shreddie

Hmm they've never had one of those before. Does the paste taste nice to them? I could put in on a dandelion leaf maybe they'd eat that.

Pip is currently sprinting at full speed around the room doing amazing skids on the corners. It's very distracting. Haha

Hmm they've never had one of those before. Does the paste taste nice to them? I could put in on a dandelion leaf maybe they'd eat that.

Pip is currently sprinting at full speed around the room doing amazing skids on the corners. It's very distracting. Haha

Mine wouldn't eat it unless it was on something forbidden. I asked Boo & she said its less tasty than metacam & more tasty than baytril

I don't put meds onto things - I just give it, brute that I am

Well trying to keep my monsters to stay still is the problem. They are like little poppet rockets. I put zantac on carrot tops last year and Pip was having none of it. So last time we just syringed it but it was a two man job that took ages and alot of chasing. Haha.

We'll see what the vet says and then I can go from there. Fingers crossed that we might have found the problem.