• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone given rabbits thyme to expell worms?

I can't bunny burrito mine properly - and I used to have to do that in vet practice with cats that are trying to eat me!

I find it easier to throw a towel over my girls, then sit over the top of them on my knees so they're in between. Enough pressure to hold them still then I can lean over them and force meds into their mouths. They can't physically run backwards as I'm sitting on them lol

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I can't bunny burrito mine properly - and I used to have to do that in vet practice with cats that are trying to eat me!

I find it easier to throw a towel over my girls, then sit over the top of them on my knees so they're in between. Enough pressure to hold them still then I can lean over them and force meds into their mouths. They can't physically run backwards as I'm sitting on them lol

Hmm I might give this go. Netherlands are just so speedy and jumpy though.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I found once I threw the towel over them, they stopped trying to run away ;)

Right. This sounds like a plan. I did used to do that to my cat when he was being a little monster. He calmed down when he couldn't see. I like your thinking.

So a small update. Just had an answer phone message from the vet whilst I was out.

She doesn't think it's pin worms and still thinks it's behavioural. Which is annoying because surely if pip was bored or stressed she'd constantly be pulling fur or biting herself raw? I can't find anything online about a bunny pulling fur in 4-6 week cycles as a behaviour problem. To be honest I can't find much other than the two documents that mentioned pin worms causing gas like symptoms in severe cases.

She said we can have panacur if we want though.

I'm a bit of a loss what to do now. I feel that there is something not right with pip and it may not be worms and wish the vet seemed more interested in trying to help.

On the plus side she has been yumming up the thyme with no pooping issues. (Archie won't touch it though!) So maybe she knows she needs the thyme to help her?

So I guess I have a few options.

1 see another vet for a second opinion

2 try the panacur

3 keep giving her thyme every other day for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

4 accept the vets opinion and just know that every 4-6 weeks Pip will go into stasis unless we are there to help her. Really don't think this is an option because it's very stressful for us and most importantly her!

Any ideas ?

So a small update. Just had an answer phone message from the vet whilst I was out.

She doesn't think it's pin worms and still thinks it's behavioural. Which is annoying because surely if pip was bored or stressed she'd constantly be pulling fur or biting herself raw? I can't find anything online about a bunny pulling fur in 4-6 week cycles as a behaviour problem. To be honest I can't find much other than the two documents that mentioned pin worms causing gas like symptoms in severe cases.

She said we can have panacur if we want though.

I'm a bit of a loss what to do now. I feel that there is something not right with pip and it may not be worms and wish the vet seemed more interested in trying to help.

On the plus side she has been yumming up the thyme with no pooping issues. (Archie won't touch it though!) So maybe she knows she needs the thyme to help her?

So I guess I have a few options.

1 see another vet for a second opinion

2 try the panacur

3 keep giving her thyme every other day for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

4 accept the vets opinion and just know that every 4-6 weeks Pip will go into stasis unless we are there to help her. Really don't think this is an option because it's very stressful for us and most importantly her!

Any ideas ?

Mervinius (I love your user name!)

I would do 1, 2, and 3

I wouldn't accept going into stasis every 4 - 6 weeks and I don't think you would be happy about that either. Of course more diagnostics will be expensive - is she insured?

Mervinius (I love your user name!)

I would do 1, 2, and 3

I wouldn't accept going into stasis every 4 - 6 weeks and I don't think you would be happy about that either. Of course more diagnostics will be expensive - is she insured?
Thanks Mighty Max.

Do you know any other good rabbit vets near poole in dorset? Or is there a list on here somewhere? I'm definitely going to keep feeding her thyme as she likes it anyway.

I think I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow and actually talk to her about it read because I'm not sure the receptionist passed on my whole message properly.

Thanks Mighty Max.

Do you know any other good rabbit vets near poole in dorset? Or is there a list on here somewhere? I'm definitely going to keep feeding her thyme as she likes it anyway.

I think I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow and actually talk to her about it read because I'm not sure the receptionist passed on my whole message properly.

You could have a peek here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/copy_of_county-or-city/england/dorset

Or you could start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations :D

You could have a peek here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/copy_of_county-or-city/england/dorset

Or you could start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations :D
Thanks. Just had a look and there's only two which are quite far away. Will do a post tomorrow asking for recommendations. Time for me to eat some dinners myself x

Hi mighty max. I am now the proud owner of some panacur. The vet has just subscribed it for pippin, but should we give it to Archie aswell? I presumed we would need to worm them both?

Luckily it's for only 9 days.

Hi mighty max. I am now the proud owner of some panacur. The vet has just subscribed it for pippin, but should we give it to Archie aswell? I presumed we would need to worm them both?

Luckily it's for only 9 days.

Yes, do both! A nine day course is for worms and a 28 day course is for E.Cuniculi :)

Oke doke. I'm really hoping this cracks it as pip was pulling her fur again this morning and it makes me so sad to see her not right.

Last edited:
Another update. Pip pulled her fur out again today and now has gas symptoms and won't eat again! She is still pooping big poops done 12 ish in the last hr. But they are smelly and I just checked two and they were full of fur!!!! Trying to chase her to keep everything moving. Haven't even tried the panacur yet!

She just started eating again. Two and half hrs of chasing and tummy rubs!

Another update. Pip pulled her fur out again today and now has gas symptoms and won't eat again! She is still pooping big poops done 12 ish in the last hr. But they are smelly and I just checked two and they were full of fur!!!! Trying to chase her to keep everything moving. Haven't even tried the panacur yet!

Oh no! Gracious you try so hard!

Oh just seen this :)

Lots of exercise for you as well then?
Yeah lots of exercise. I'd just got home from my dance class so was looking forward to lying still... obviously Pip decided that was not a option.

My other half thinks I should wait a week before we try the panacur because they have both had tummy upsets this week. What do you think?

Yeah lots of exercise. I'd just got home from my dance class so was looking forward to lying still... obviously Pip decided that was not a option.

My other half thinks I should wait a week before we try the panacur because they have both had tummy upsets this week. What do you think?

Well it probably won't do any harm to wait, would it?
I think that might be a good idea - what do you think?

Well it probably won't do any harm to wait, would it?
I think that might be a good idea - what do you think?
I don't know anymore. I just want her to be well and it's horrid seeing her all bunched up in pain. I have no idea if it's worms and feel like I'm maybe clutching at straws. The vet has no idea what's causing it but was willing to try the panacur.

I wish she could talk so I could help her more.

We can wait before we give it to them. She should be OK now for another 4-6weeks. So a week won't hurt.

Back