• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone given rabbits thyme to expell worms?

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello everyone.

We are still trying to work out what is causing pip to pull her fur and get gas every 4-6 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since the last episode so I'm on careful watch. She was a bit gassy last night but there was no fur pulling.

I found an article today online that said worms have a 4-6 week cycle and can give gas like symptoms every 4-6 weeks!

I haven't seen any worms yet, but it does say you can't see the eggs and not always the worms.

I have phoned my vets they were very busy. But said they would phone back next week to let me know if they can test her poop or whether they just treat them both anyway to see if it solves her problems.

So in the mean time I've seen that thyme can expell worms so I've tried them with a few sprigs tonight which Pip gobbled up once she got over the new smell.

Has anyone else tried this? Or know if we'd have to give them thyme every day? It's a new food so I need to introduce it slowly at first.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hello everyone.

We are still trying to work out what is causing pip to pull her fur and get gas every 4-6 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since the last episode so I'm on careful watch. She was a bit gassy last night but there was no fur pulling.

I found an article today online that said worms have a 4-6 week cycle and can give gas like symptoms every 4-6 weeks!

I haven't seen any worms yet, but it does say you can't see the eggs and not always the worms.

I have phoned my vets they were very busy. But said they would phone back next week to let me know if they can test her poop or whether they just treat them both anyway to see if it solves her problems.

So in the mean time I've seen that thyme can expell worms so I've tried them with a few sprigs tonight which Pip gobbled up once she got over the new smell.

Has anyone else tried this? Or know if we'd have to give them thyme every day? It's a new food so I need to introduce it slowly at first.

Some rabbits like thyme and other find it a bit strong :)

What kind of worms are you thinking of M?

*** Some rather graphic photos/pictures in these links***

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nem_gen/Nematodes.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Parasite/Parasites_main.htm

A nine day course of Panacur deals with pinworms :thumb:

Hi Mightymax

Yes she wasn't keen at first but it disappeared into her mouth eventually. Not sure if Archie ate any though.

Yeah I've looked at a lot of icky photos and it definitely puts you off your dinner.

It was pin worms I think. Yeah I expect the vet will say we can use panacur but they might want me to bring them in first which would have to wait till next Thurs. So was hoping thyme might help in the mean time.

Hi Mightymax

Yes she wasn't keen at first but it disappeared into her mouth eventually. Not sure if Archie ate any though.

Yeah I've looked at a lot of icky photos and it definitely puts you off your dinner.

It was pin worms I think. Yeah I expect the vet will say we can use panacur but they might want me to bring them in first which would have to wait till next Thurs. So was hoping thyme might help in the mean time.

I know that Wormwood is the best anti-worm/parasite herb, but I wouldn't risk feeding it to the buns. I don't know of the therapeutic dose for thyme but I would probably go down a conventional route for something like this. Not like me to be saying that :lol:

Yeah we will be going the conventional route to be sure. I just want to help Pip cos she looks so sorry for herself when she's in pain.

Just thought the thyme couldn't hurt whilst we wait to hear back from the vets.

Our scamps really don't like medication or being held. (Unless we are at the vets and then I'm the safe one) haha. Any ideas how to give them the meds. I guess it is a syringe job?

Yeah we will be going the conventional route to be sure. I just want to help Pip cos she looks so sorry for herself when she's in pain.

Just thought the thyme couldn't hurt whilst we wait to hear back from the vets.

Our scamps really don't like medication or being held. (Unless we are at the vets and then I'm the safe one) haha. Any ideas how to give them the meds. I guess it is a syringe job?

If they end up on panacur paste I always feed it on a malted shreddie :)

Hmm they've never had one of those before. Does the paste taste nice to them? I could put in on a dandelion leaf maybe they'd eat that.

Pip is currently sprinting at full speed around the room doing amazing skids on the corners. It's very distracting. Haha

Hmm they've never had one of those before. Does the paste taste nice to them? I could put in on a dandelion leaf maybe they'd eat that.

Pip is currently sprinting at full speed around the room doing amazing skids on the corners. It's very distracting. Haha

Mine wouldn't eat it unless it was on something forbidden. I asked Boo & she said its less tasty than metacam & more tasty than baytril

I don't put meds onto things - I just give it, brute that I am :lol:

Well trying to keep my monsters to stay still is the problem. They are like little poppet rockets. I put zantac on carrot tops last year and Pip was having none of it. So last time we just syringed it but it was a two man job that took ages and alot of chasing. Haha.

We'll see what the vet says and then I can go from there. Fingers crossed that we might have found the problem.

Well trying to keep my monsters to stay still is the problem. They are like little poppet rockets. I put zantac on carrot tops last year and Pip was having none of it. So last time we just syringed it but it was a two man job that took ages and alot of chasing. Haha.

We'll see what the vet says and then I can go from there. Fingers crossed that we might have found the problem.

Hope so :D

Just wanted to add that we are on day 8 of a 9 day worming course, and after struggling to get Chilli to take the wormer for the first 3 days I was tearing my hair out.
What finally worked for us was mixing it in to a teaspoon of apple puree. He loves the stuff, and will happily eat it from a saucer without me having to pin him and down and force feed it to him.

Just wanted to add that we are on day 8 of a 9 day worming course, and after struggling to get Chilli to take the wormer for the first 3 days I was tearing my hair out.
What finally worked for us was mixing it in to a teaspoon of apple puree. He loves the stuff, and will happily eat it from a saucer without me having to pin him and down and force feed it to him.
Hi Swissgreys.

I'm glad you found a way to get the medicine to be munched! Ours haven't had apple before so couldn't use that. But I'm sure I can hide it on something, otherwise it will have to be 9 days of stress. :-(

Hi Swissgreys.

I'm glad you found a way to get the medicine to be munched! Ours haven't had apple before so couldn't use that. But I'm sure I can hide it on something, otherwise it will have to be 9 days of stress. :-(

It's the 28 day course of Panacur that I dread! :shock:

I've just been reading through, and its probably something that you've tried, but would burritoing work ?

I place a towel on the couch, grab the bun, place them in the middle and then really tightly wrap them up. then half the time i end up pressing my face against the bunnies so they can't move their head and in it goes.

it then means you don't get scratched or peed on as all of bunny is inside the towel except the head. they do try to shove their head in though, so you need a tight grip at the back. i put snoopy laying on my lap as he's pretty placid and just lets me do it. luna i more have to stand on my lap to get her to have anything lol.

ive expected you've already tried but i didn't think of this until my friend said something.

I've just been reading through, and its probably something that you've tried, but would burritoing work ?

I place a towel on the couch, grab the bun, place them in the middle and then really tightly wrap them up. then half the time i end up pressing my face against the bunnies so they can't move their head and in it goes.

it then means you don't get scratched or peed on as all of bunny is inside the towel except the head. they do try to shove their head in though, so you need a tight grip at the back. i put snoopy laying on my lap as he's pretty placid and just lets me do it. luna i more have to stand on my lap to get her to have anything lol.

ive expected you've already tried but i didn't think of this until my friend said something.
Hi binky. Thankyou,we have tried the burrito technique but my speedy furballs kept reversing out of them before I could wrap them securely. But I will give it another go. They just don't like sitting still at all. If only they understood I was trying to help.

Hi binky. Thankyou,we have tried the burrito technique but my speedy furballs kept reversing out of them before I could wrap them securely. But I will give it another go. They just don't like sitting still at all. If only they understood I was trying to help.

Do you have a firm grip? I have a no nonsense grip having worked with hundreds of Rescue Rabbits - firm but fair and they give up trying to get away :)

Do you have a firm grip? I have a no nonsense grip having worked with hundreds of Rescue Rabbits - firm but fair and they give up trying to get away :)
Think I need to practise that! I'm probably not firm enough

Think I need to practise that! I'm probably not firm enough

It's usually the case. Confidence is the key. Don't let them think they can get away, and don't lose your own concentration for a second, or they will definitely be outta there :D

Back