• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

post spay poo problems

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Hi guys,
So Rory has been doing well since her spay on Wednesday. She has finished her doses of metacam and has been increasing how much she is eating. She was checked out by the vet today and everything is healing well.
However this afternoon I noticed something in her pen and when I look there are numerous piles of sludgy poo! Some of them are pretty big. I rang the vets straight away and they said to take away all food except hay and monitor her closely. To take her to out of hours if it gets worse or to take her in the morning if its happened again.
I just wondered if this is something that happens often? If theres anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Could it just be a side effect from the metacam? She hasn't eaten anything she wouldn't normally!
Other than that shes been fine. Still moving a bit gingerly and kept bunching her blanket up under her tummy which worried me so I've taken it away.
Advice appreciated xxx

Oh I forgot to say - I've also checked her bum - all is clean but I will keep checking as I'm aware how dangerous fly strike could be and we do occasionally get flies down our chimney

Hi guys,
So Rory has been doing well since her spay on Wednesday. She has finished her doses of metacam and has been increasing how much she is eating. She was checked out by the vet today and everything is healing well.
However this afternoon I noticed something in her pen and when I look there are numerous piles of sludgy poo! Some of them are pretty big. I rang the vets straight away and they said to take away all food except hay and monitor her closely. To take her to out of hours if it gets worse or to take her in the morning if its happened again.
I just wondered if this is something that happens often? If theres anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Could it just be a side effect from the metacam? She hasn't eaten anything she wouldn't normally!
Other than that shes been fine. Still moving a bit gingerly and kept bunching her blanket up under her tummy which worried me so I've taken it away.
Advice appreciated xxx

Sorry that you did not receive any responses to your thread last night.

Sometimes gut motility can be effected after a spay and abnormal faeces may be passed. If this occurs it usually does so within the first 48 hours post surgery and resolves quickly. I have never had a Rabbit who has had any GI tract side effects from Metacam, but that is not to say that it cannot happen. Hopefully with an optimum hay intake Rory's poo problem will resolve within 24 hours. The fact that she seems well in herself and is eating is encouraging.

Thanks for the response Jack's-Jane.
Things seem mostly back to normal today. There have been a couple of cecatrophes (not sure on the spelling there) but I think thats to do with her having difficulty maneuvering herself. xx

Thanks for the response Jack's-Jane.
Things seem mostly back to normal today. There have been a couple of cecatrophes (not sure on the spelling there) but I think thats to do with her having difficulty maneuvering herself. xx

Glad to hear that Rory's tum is settling down. Yes, reaching down to her bum to eat her cecals may still be a bit uncomfortable for her, but hopefully this too will resolve over the next 48 hours. :)

It appears my girl is feeling much more herself! I gave her a bit more space this morning in her pen as she seemed a bit uncomfortable from being so cramped. But she's now excited for food again and playing with her toys. She also had a little attempt at getting to milo for a kiss. They were licking faces between the bars <3

It appears my girl is feeling much more herself! I gave her a bit more space this morning in her pen as she seemed a bit uncomfortable from being so cramped. But she's now excited for food again and playing with her toys. She also had a little attempt at getting to milo for a kiss. They were licking faces between the bars <3

Awwww bless :love:

Well done Rory :D

Back