• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating, drinking, moving :(

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it correctly!

I have a 3 (almost 4) year old minilop called Rupert. Unfortunately he has a history of medical issues including several GI stasis episodes, and more recently, our vet found a golf ball sized tumour in his abdomen.
While he is an otherwise happy bun, lately he has been showing signs of pain and discomfort (teeth grinding, not being as active as usual). More concerning is that he hasn't eaten in 40 or so hours - I have been giving him critical care - but he just lets it drool out the sides of his mouth. He has done a few poos - but these are much smaller than usual. I took him to the vets today - he isn't at all bloated, and we were sent home with ranitidine, plus his usual dosage of metacam.
It has been 8 hours since our vet appointment and there is no change - if anything, he might be slightly worse. He isn't hunched over, but he still isn't moving much, and he's not eating or drinking.

Any advice? The other times Rupert has stopped eating/drinking/moving its GI stasis - but there's no blockage/bloating this time. Ahh I am so worried. I just love him so so so much. He is my joy.

Thank you
Stephanie (and Rupert)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have a 3 (almost 4) year old minilop called Rupert. Unfortunately he has a history of medical issues including several GI stasis episodes, and more recently, our vet found a golf ball sized tumour in his abdomen.
While he is an otherwise happy bun, lately he has been showing signs of pain and discomfort (teeth grinding, not being as active as usual). More concerning is that he hasn't eaten in 40 or so hours - I have been giving him critical care - but he just lets it drool out the sides of his mouth. He has done a few poos - but these are much smaller than usual. I took him to the vets today - he isn't at all bloated, and we were sent home with ranitidine, plus his usual dosage of metacam.
It has been 8 hours since our vet appointment and there is no change - if anything, he might be slightly worse. He isn't hunched over, but he still isn't moving much, and he's not eating or drinking.

Any advice? The other times Rupert has stopped eating/drinking/moving its GI stasis - but there's no blockage/bloating. Ahh I am so worried. I just love him so so so much. He is my joy.

Thank you
Stephanie (and Rupert)

Hello Stephanie

From what you have posted, especially the fact that you feel Rupert has actually deteriorated since being seen by the Vet, I think you need to get back in touch with the Vet again now. It sounds as though Rupert needs to be admitted for intensive care. This would include him receiving IV fluids and medication. There is more detailed information about Gut Stasis that I could post, but I feel that time is of the essence for Rupert and it is important that you contact a Vet again to try to get Rupert admitted. I really hope that he can pull through, he does sound to be very poorly xx

Thanks so much for your reply - this was my feeling too.
I'm actually surprised our vet didn't give him any IV. Usually when Rupert stops eating he goes in for the day to be given medication and monitored.

I'm currently on hold with the vet receptionist. Fingers crossed x

Hi everyone,

Any advice? The other times Rupert has stopped eating/drinking/moving its GI stasis - but there's no blockage/bloating this time. Ahh I am so worried. I just love him so so so much. He is my joy.

Thank you
Stephanie (and Rupert)

Hi Stephanie and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear about Rupert - have you managed to get a vet appointment yet?

I am guessing from what you said that the vet didn't give any gut motility meds?

There's some helpful reading here on stasis:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Good luck and please let me know how you get on :)

Thanks so much for your reply - this was my feeling too.
I'm actually surprised our vet didn't give him any IV. Usually when Rupert stops eating he goes in for the day to be given medication and monitored.

I'm currently on hold with the vet receptionist. Fingers crossed x

That's OK, I thought it important that you got back on to the Vet rather than me posting anything else. I hope that the Vet will be able to help Rupert ASAP xx

Hi Stephanie and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear about Rupert - have you managed to get a vet appointment yet?

I am guessing from what you said that the vet didn't give any gut motility meds?

There's some helpful reading here on stasis:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Good luck and please let me know how you get on :)

Hi and thanks so much for your reply - Rupert has had GI stasis 5 times, but the vet does not think he is in gut stasis this time - no bloating, and his gut is making noises. However, the vet did prescribe ranitidine just in case, which is a gut motility drug.

Phoned the vet, who said to watch him overnight and if he doesn't improve, I'm to bring him in tomorrow morning. The vet doesn't really think there's much more he can do at the moment - I have the ranitidine, metacam, and critical care which he says to continue with for now.

I'm just at a loss at the moment - if he isn't in stasis, what could be happening? :(

Hi and thanks so much for your reply - Rupert has had GI stasis 5 times, but the vet does not think he is in gut stasis this time - no bloating, and his gut is making noises. However, the vet did prescribe ranitidine just in case, which is a gut motility drug.

Phoned the vet, who said to watch him overnight and if he doesn't improve, I'm to bring him in tomorrow morning. The vet doesn't really think there's much more he can do at the moment - I have the ranitidine, metacam, and critical care which he says to continue with for now.

I'm just at a loss at the moment - if he isn't in stasis, what could be happening? :(

You're welcome :)

Is this to do with the lump in his abdomen? Has the vet said what he thinks it is, and where exactly?

Without diagnostics I guess it's impossible to say. I assume that the Vet feels that his current malaise is due to the mass in his abdomen ? Has Rupert previously had any diagnostics to try to ascertain what the mass may be ?

It's likely you'll be taking him in again :(

I think until he gets eating again there's not a lot else you can do. Have you tried mixing the critical care with organic baby food (I like Ella's kitchen) as it tastes better to some bunnies that way :)

The vet says it's a soft tissue mass, likely malignant due to it's fast growth. He's had an x-ray and its located to the right of his kidneys, and above his cecum.
The vet said his not eating MIGHT be related to the lump - especially given as we believe it to be causing Rupert pain & discomfort. But the vet didnt really expand any further.

The vet says it's a soft tissue mass, likely malignant due to it's fast growth. He's had an x-ray and its located to the right of his kidneys, and above his cecum.
The vet said his not eating MIGHT be related to the lump - especially given as we believe it to be causing Rupert pain & discomfort. But the vet didnt really expand any further.

It could be that his renal function is now somewhat compromised which would make him feel very poorly. IV fluids could help with that, but obviously it would only be a temporary fix if he has a malignancy :cry:

Oh poor little man :(

I guess it may or may not be attached to his kidneys? I hope not, so that his kidney function remains uncompromised. I suppose a blood test would show if there's any kidney involvement, which could of course affect his eating?

Our rabbits have had suspected gut stasis several times and the vet has always given them an injection of what I presume is Ranitidine. It has always had a massive immediate effect on them. Recently Tom was off his food, only eating if we put it under his nose. Vet said she could hear the gut moving but gave him a jab of it anyhow. Also had oral Ranitidine to follow up - never before though. Literally by the time we got home, he was looking for food. For our two at least, the jab seems very effective. Good luck!

Our rabbits have had suspected gut stasis several times and the vet has always given them an injection of what I presume is Ranitidine. It has always had a massive immediate effect on them. Recently Tom was off his food, only eating if we put it under his nose. Vet said she could hear the gut moving but gave him a jab of it anyhow. Also had oral Ranitidine to follow up - never before though. Literally by the time we got home, he was looking for food. For our two at least, the jab seems very effective. Good luck!

I agree with you - I have had a lot of luck with Ranitidine (Zantac) in the absence of any other gut motility meds :)

I agree with you - I have had a lot of luck with Ranitidine (Zantac) in the absence of any other gut motility meds :)

Yeah, Rupert has always responded well to ranitidine in the past - but he has not improved since we took him to the vet :( He had his first dose injected, and I just gave him more orally.

Somewhat surprisingly though, the vet said Rupert is not in gut stasis. I've been feeling his tummy regularly and its soft and squidgy. But he hasnt eaten since Monday night! At least the metacam seems to be working well for him.

Yeah, Rupert has always responded well to ranitidine in the past - but he has not improved since we took him to the vet :( He had his first dose injected, and I just gave him more orally.

Somewhat surprisingly though, the vet said Rupert is not in gut stasis. I've been feeling his tummy regularly and its soft and squidgy. But he hasnt eaten since Monday night! At least the metacam seems to be working well for him.

Are you managing to get the critical care into him Stephanie?

Trying very hard to - he seems to be refusing to swallow it - it just seeps out the corners of his mouth.

Have you tried a bit of fruit juice or baby food to make it more appealing?

I do find the taste makes a big difference, and to be honest, none of my rabbits have ever really liked the taste of CC x

Have you tried a bit of fruit juice or baby food to make it more appealing?

I do find the taste makes a big difference, and to be honest, none of my rabbits have ever really liked the taste of CC x

Yes, have tried both - usually a bit of fruit juice does the trick - but not this time.

There's an emergency vet not too far from where I am, so I think I shall give them a call and take him in. He is still grooming himself (which I'm taking as a good sign?), but obviously the refusing to eat and drink is causing huge concern. He keeps going to his litter tray, but nothing is coming out. x

Yes, have tried both - usually a bit of fruit juice does the trick - but not this time.

There's an emergency vet not too far from where I am, so I think I shall give them a call and take him in. He is still grooming himself (which I'm taking as a good sign?), but obviously the refusing to eat and drink is causing huge concern. He keeps going to his litter tray, but nothing is coming out. x

I think you're wise to consider the emergency vet. Hopefully they can administer some fluids - either IV or sub-cut.

Lots of vibes for him x Strength and patience for you x

Back