• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rory's spay - helpful advice?

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Hi everyone. I've got Rory home from her spay. I'm a mess when it comes to these things - i'm already crying feeling guilty.
I've limited her space to the base (dog crate) of their pen and replaced litter with blankets and towels. Shes got plenty of fresh hay and water although shes not touched those yet (shes only been home about ten minutes haha)

She's quite unsteady on her feet and is feeling sorry for herself. They've sent me home with critical care (just in case) and 2 days of pain relief but they said she should be okay until tomorrow morning. She has pooped healthy looking poos.
They told me to take a look at her wound when I got her home but she hasn't let me and I don't want to stress her out at this point.
She looks very uncomfortable. Any thing you can suggest to help her feel a bit more comfortable that the vets might not have thought of?
I know there's not much I think I just need to feel like I'm helping.

Hi
It sounds like you're doing everything you can. A little bit of quiet and making sure that she gets adequate pain relief is important.

When my doe came home after her spay she wouldn't let me look at the wound as she didn't like being handled generally. However if you get creative you may be able to look without having to pick her up e.g. if she periscopes up for something (but bearing in mind she needs to rest).

I hope she settles and is more comfortable soon xx

Mine were also quiet for 24 hours and didn't really eat for the first day or so, took a good 3 or 4 days until they were more or less back to themselves!!

Hi everyone. I've got Rory home from her spay. I'm a mess when it comes to these things - i'm already crying feeling guilty.
I've limited her space to the base (dog crate) of their pen and replaced litter with blankets and towels. Shes got plenty of fresh hay and water although shes not touched those yet (shes only been home about ten minutes haha)

She's quite unsteady on her feet and is feeling sorry for herself. They've sent me home with critical care (just in case) and 2 days of pain relief but they said she should be okay until tomorrow morning. She has pooped healthy looking poos.
They told me to take a look at her wound when I got her home but she hasn't let me and I don't want to stress her out at this point.
She looks very uncomfortable. Any thing you can suggest to help her feel a bit more comfortable that the vets might not have thought of?
I know there's not much I think I just need to feel like I'm helping.

Once she's had a chance to settle offer her a drink of water from a bowl. She may prefer the water to be luke warm. The best thing to do then is just allow her to rest. It's great that she has already poo'd . A spay is a big op' so she will take a good 48 hours to fully recover.

As long as she continues to have some poo/wee output and she starts to nibble at some food overnight she will hopefully be a lot brighter in the morning :)

Hi
It sounds like you're doing everything you can. A little bit of quiet and making sure that she gets adequate pain relief is important.

When my doe came home after her spay she wouldn't let me look at the wound as she didn't like being handled generally. However if you get creative you may be able to look without having to pick her up e.g. if she periscopes up for something (but bearing in mind she needs to rest).

I hope she settles and is more comfortable soon xx

Excellent advice from sarahbun :D

Thanks for all of the responses!
Sarahbun - They've given me two pre-prepped syringes of pain relief but said not to give any until tomorrow morning as the injection is long lasting. Rory hates being handled generally too I just worry that I might not know what I'm looking for!
She mostly seems to be sleeping but keeps changing positions and moving around.

Jacksjane - shes had some water by her own choosing and a tiny nibble of hay - although she gave up on the hay very quickly.

I think I panic more in this situation that they do themselves haha
She seems to be struggling to move around I assume from the anesthetic?
I do have her litter box in there with blankets in but I think I'm going to take it out because the sides are quite high? I don't want her to try and jump in and graze herself!
Also i've taken all her toys away at the moment because I'm worried they're obstructing her moving around.

Sarahbun - They've given me two pre-prepped syringes of pain relief but said not to give any until tomorrow morning as the injection is long lasting. Rory hates being handled generally too I just worry that I might not know what I'm looking for!

Jacksjane - shes had some water by her own choosing and a tiny nibble of hay - although she gave up on the hay very quickly.

I do have her litter box in there with blankets in but I think I'm going to take it out because the sides are quite high? I don't want her to try and jump in and graze herself!
Also i've taken all her toys away at the moment because I'm worried they're obstructing her moving around.

The GA will mean that she is still a bit wobbly, also she will hop rather tentatively in the first 24-36 hours as her abdomen will feel tight and sore. It's a good idea to take the litter tray out as she probably wont feel like hopping into it tonight.

She sounds to be doing well as she has already had a drink and a nibble of food. I bet a human who had had a hysterectomy only a few hours ago would want to do anything but just sleep !

This all sounds pretty normal after a spay :) She may still be wobbly from the GA, but this should wear off pretty soon. I find warmth always helps tremendously with this sort of thing. Rabbits can't regulate their temperature after a GA, so it's important to keep them warm, particularly at night.

Ring your vet back for advice if you feel the need?

Thanks everyone im feeling much calmer. Shes drinking a lot so im pleased with that. Mightymax the vet gave me lots of advice but i know theres always stuff they dont think of. Less medical more love related. Xx

Thanks everyone im feeling much calmer. Shes drinking a lot so im pleased with that. Mightymax the vet gave me lots of advice but i know theres always stuff they dont think of. Less medical more love related. Xx

Tell her to go easy on the Vodka ! ;)

I read an article recently, and it said the main thing rabbits need is TLC :love:

Ha well she's getting plenty of that! I'm such a panciker when it comes to these things so I'm pleased to report it appears to be going without a hitch. We gave her pain meds this morning (she did dribble a bit down my OH's clean work shirt!! :oops: ) and put out some pellets but she hasn't touched those. We cleaned out her pen and switched the towels for fresh as I don't want her getting soggy in her urine!
She has had a nibble of hay though not much but is still drinking peeing and pooping fine. She even flopped for a little while - so I'm feeling positive!
At the moment she's still fairly sleepy so I'm dreading what she will be like when she perks up - she HATES being confined!

Back