• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally living together......

bunnybeth

New Kit
My neutered male and female rabbits have been living in adjacent cages for months (waiting for the doe to be old enough to be spayed). All introductions have gone okay, he mounts her, she doesn't care, they lie down together, eat together but have never groomed each other. There's never been aggression so I they have gone in the same cage. They have gone into the bucks as it was the largest and all literature says he will be less territorial. Since being in the cage he has mounted her, she just lies down wait waits for him to get off, they have both explored (I put some new things in and a box for hiding in). They are eating, bumping noses and he's flipped on his side as I write as I am still in their room with them. Again no aggression. I worry that I have put them together too quickly and worry about leaving them. I
Guess my question is has this gone okay and should I be able to leave them if I keep checking on them?

Sounds great to me!

Just keep an eye on them but I would say that when I bonded 2 bunnies they met, bit of humping by the boy and that was it!

I just checked on them and she ran straight to him to hide so she obviously feels comfortable with him. He just seems quite relaxed.

It sounds good to me too. Some bunnies groom alot, others not so much. They are sounding happy & relaxed with each other so all good. I'd keep them together & continue keeping an eye on them. Congratulations on your bunny bond

Thank you both for your replies. I have checked on them a few times, they seem okay, eating, cleaning themselves and sitting with each other. Pebbles (my doe) has had a good explore of the cage and at one point was using Apollo (my buck) as a step to sniff higher, he never reacted. He mounts her now and then but she just seems to tolerate it. I hope this continues to go well. Apollo was a rehome, I got him aged 5-6 months (when my 10 yr old bun passed away) and he had been completely on his own from 8 weeks with very little human contact too, so for him to be happy with another rabbit is great.

IMG_1478_zps14hn8zro.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The new couple (if this has worked)

Things are still looking good this morning, no injuries, no clumps of fur missing. They have both come and said hello to me and have taken a little slice of carrot. I even saw Pebbles (doe) give Apollo (buck) a quick lick on his ear after he had scratched it. I have to say they both look happier together than they did in adjacent cages.

Last edited:
How lovely!

Although we often hear of the bonds that are difficult or take time to establish, there are always those that are simple and straightforward, where the bunnies fall in love instantly :)

So pleased they are happy together! x

Thank you. They have been in adjacent cages since October so I guess they got to know each other. They are the same breed and pretty much the same size now too (one of the reasons I waited this long as it didn't seem right letting the lump that is Apollo mount a little dainty Pebbles). I'm not counting my chickens yet (it all seems to have gone too easily) but I just love that they just seem happier together.

I did a similar thing with my two.. But we're in separate rooms with a gate across for a good 5-6 months, so could see each other every day and used to groom through the bars, when I tried bonding them toegther, they were absolutely fine! :) and both now live happily together, although swear they both encourage each other to be naughty! :lol:

So are you going to increase there space shortly after a few more days? Or are you looking to keep them both in the one cage?

They are in my spare bedroom so once I feel confident they are happy together they will have the room to roam around too.

Back