Thread: raspberry leaves

Default raspberry leaves

Does anyone know if fresh raspberry leaves can be fed at this time of year. We have quite a bit of growth on Spenser's raspberry canes, but I'm not sure if the young leaves are suitable for bunny digestion.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by susie bun View Post
    Does anyone know if fresh raspberry leaves can be fed at this time of year. We have quite a bit of growth on Spenser's raspberry canes, but I'm not sure if the young leaves are suitable for bunny digestion.
    Yes, they're fine to feed. If he hasn't had them before, it's probably best to feed a small amount and check how he is, before giving a large quantity.

Mama Doe

They are fine to feed. Cutting the canes back now may reduce your fruit crop if the flower buds are there - depends on the type of raspberry - but not an issue if you just want the leaves for Spencer. Mine have only just got leaves coming out.

Thanks! I'll give him a couple of leaves today. He has had them before, but not for a while as he doesn't like them dried and we obviously have no fresh ones over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by susie bun View Post

Spenser has his own raspberry canes! Love it

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I was thinking that!!

Interesting he doesn't like dried ones either. Same as Hector, only freshly picked!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Yes, we had the raspberry canes installed mainly for Spenser's benefit. He was very pleased to have his first leaves of the season from them this afternoon.