• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiro not well again

It's just that cysitis can cause a Bunny pain and they can hold there wee (as it stings to wee)/ wee in inappropriate places. Just wandering if he may have a bit of a UTI.

I've wondered this myself but would it come and go the way that it is doing? Inbetween these incidents he is weeing fine.
He's eating again now btw :) He's just tucked into some herbs.

I've wondered this myself but would it come and go the way that it is doing? Inbetween these incidents he is weeing fine.
He's eating again now btw :) He's just tucked into some herbs.

With a low grade infection symptoms can be sporadic. But it may not be that at all, I am only speculating. If you wanted to read some info about Cystitis in Rabbits there are this link:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

But as I have said, his urinary tract may not be the problem at all. Glad to hear he's eating now xx

I think that he's quite open minded really to what it could be really. He's not Hiro's usual vet because he works at a different branch but he went through all of his notes and looked at his recent ct results too to see if anything stood out.
What would cause bladder issues? It's a bit odd really. He seems to do one big, random wee in his tunnel where he sleeps and then nothing else. He's isn't straining or weeing more than usual etc.

Surely the vet would've considered bladder issues if you described a problem with weeing?

The bladder would be tender .... and you were not given antibiotics?

Yeah I would've thought so. He has seen 3 different vets though when this has happened and they have all felt around when we've mentioned the random wee. All of them have said that they don't think it's a urine infection. He did have a course of Baytril the first time it happened though.

Yeah I would've thought so. He has seen 3 different vets though when this has happened and they have all felt around when we've mentioned the random wee. All of them have said that they don't think it's a urine infection. He did have a course of Baytril the first time it happened though.

Did that course of Baytril help?

I don't know really because he doesn't have any symptoms the rest of the time. He just goes quiet, does a random wee in his tunnel and then he hides and looks really uncomfortable, his head shakes too, probably from him breathing faster. You can see his little ears vibrating. Once he's had the pain relief and the gut meds he picks up within a few hours and you wouldn't think that anything was wrong at all. We gave him a 10 day course of Baytril but I couldn't tell you if it helped because he seemed fine after the first day!

I don't know really because he doesn't have any symptoms the rest of the time. He just goes quiet, does a random wee in his tunnel and then he hides and looks really uncomfortable, his head shakes too, probably from him breathing faster. You can see his little ears vibrating. Once he's had the pain relief and the gut meds he picks up within a few hours and you wouldn't think that anything was wrong at all. We gave him a 10 day course of Baytril but I couldn't tell you if it helped because he seemed fine after the first day!

Perhaps the bladder issue is a red herring?

You're very vigilant, so I'm sure nothing will pass you without further inspection.

Vibes for Hiro x

Back