• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiro not well again

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
We've woken up this morning to find Hiro not quite right. He's hiding under a chair and he's not coming out for food. There is also a big wee in his tunnel.
This has happened 2 times before now. He seems a bit off, won't eat and then he goes in his tunnel and does a wee on the floor. Both times he's had some metacam and gut meds at the vets and within a couple of hours he's perked up but obviously something is going on.
Any ideas? Going to take him the vets in a minute which isn't nice for him because he went yesterday :(

Oh no :( vibes for Hiro. Maybe teeth? Although I am sure you have them checked regularly anyway. Bladder sludge because of the wee in the tunnel? hopefully it's nothing serious.

We've woken up this morning to find Hiro not quite right. He's hiding under a chair and he's not coming out for food. There is also a big wee in his tunnel.
This has happened 2 times before now. He seems a bit off, won't eat and then he goes in his tunnel and does a wee on the floor. Both times he's had some metacam and gut meds at the vets and within a couple of hours he's perked up but obviously something is going on.
Any ideas? Going to take him the vets in a minute which isn't nice for him because he went yesterday :(

Good luck at the vet Roxy. Do you think going to the boarder has stressed him too, or has he been OK since you got back?

Hugs xx

The wee in his tunnel is a little dark in colour but nothing out of the ordinary. He had his teeth checked the first time it happened. The first time he was acting a little weird and we thought his ear infection had come back so he had a CT. It came back clear and he was also given a blood test for EC which came back clear too.
He doesn't usually get too scared by the vets, he usually bounces back pretty well so I don't think it's that :(

He's been fine, he adapts pretty well really. He does much better than Sylar!
Maybe being in boarding and going to the vets combined have had an impact though. The bin men were particularly obnoxious this morning too. It sounded like the end of the world.

The wee in his tunnel is a little dark in colour but nothing out of the ordinary. He had his teeth checked the first time it happened. The first time he was acting a little weird and we thought his ear infection had come back so he had a CT. It came back clear and he was also given a blood test for EC which came back clear too.
He doesn't usually get too scared by the vets, he usually bounces back pretty well so I don't think it's that :(

I know it's weird, but I've had rabbits for whom giving dandelion leaves makes them pee in inappropriate places, when there's been nothing wrong with them.

He's been fine, he adapts pretty well really. He does much better than Sylar!
Maybe being in boarding and going to the vets combined have had an impact though. The bin men were particularly obnoxious this morning too. It sounded like the end of the world.

:roll:

I've no clever thoughts as to what might be going on with Hiro, but I'm sending lots of vibes and hope he perks up very soon .

Well... he does get quite a lot of dandelion I guess. I have considered that before but it wouldn't make him stop eating would it? :(

He looks a little bit uncomfortable too :( appointment is at 10:40 so I'll update when we've been seen. Our usual vets is full and the vet is allergic to rabbits so we've got to go to their other practise 20 minutes away :(

He looks a little bit uncomfortable too :( appointment is at 10:40 so I'll update when we've been seen. Our usual vets is full and the vet is allergic to rabbits so we've got to go to their other practise 20 minutes away :(

Only just seen this. I hope the Vet can identify what is making Hiro feel poorly and that he will soon be feeling much better xx

We are coming up empty really. Exactly the same symptoms as the previous two times. Random wee, discomfort, not eating. The vet felt his abdomen and like the last 2 times it's obviously not pleasant for him but the ct scan and bloods came back clear and nothing obvious can be felt :/
He's had some metacam, zantac and some metaclop and we'll see how we get on again with that.

Bless him.
Maybe there's something that startles him overnight? Could you try installing a camera to see if there's anything that kickstarts these episodes? - just a thought.

Lots of vibes for your boy x

They live upstairs and last night he stayed in our room so I don't think there was anything that scared him.
He's only eaten a single piece of hay so far but he is hopping around. He seems more relaxed when we're not bugging him so we are leaving him alone for a little while.

We are coming up empty really. Exactly the same symptoms as the previous two times. Random wee, discomfort, not eating. The vet felt his abdomen and like the last 2 times it's obviously not pleasant for him but the ct scan and bloods came back clear and nothing obvious can be felt :/
He's had some metacam, zantac and some metaclop and we'll see how we get on again with that.

I assume the Vet considered bladder discomfort ?

I hope he gets his appetite back soon. Mousey's one & only stasis episode was when OH gave them a stupid amount of dandelions, I couldn't help but think there was a link

I think that he's quite open minded really to what it could be really. He's not Hiro's usual vet because he works at a different branch but he went through all of his notes and looked at his recent ct results too to see if anything stood out.
What would cause bladder issues? It's a bit odd really. He seems to do one big, random wee in his tunnel where he sleeps and then nothing else. He's isn't straining or weeing more than usual etc.

I think that he's quite open minded really to what it could be really. He's not Hiro's usual vet because he works at a different branch but he went through all of his notes and looked at his recent ct results too to see if anything stood out.
What would cause bladder issues? It's a bit odd really. He seems to do one big, random wee in his tunnel where he sleeps and then nothing else. He's isn't straining or weeing more than usual etc.

It's just that cysitis can cause a Bunny pain and they can hold there wee (as it stings to wee)/ wee in inappropriate places. Just wandering if he may have a bit of a UTI.

Back