• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

building daisy a shed and aviary

My wood and mesh will be arriving, hopefully tomorrow so i can make daisy her new house. She is in a plastic greenhouse with the inside meshed at the minute because of the break up with pixie. Everytime i see her in that 6ftx4ft greenhouse i feel guilty. Its getting warmer now and i scared of her getting too warm.
We want to save as much money as possible with 8 spays/neuters we have to do, so im just going to build a shed and aviary myself. It wont be anything special but im using all the available space we have. The shed will be 6ft wide and 5ft deep and the aviary will be 6ft wide and 6ft deep. Both will be 6ft high. To give them more space im going to put levels and stuff in the she and aviary like ive done with the other, just not as much or as extravagant. I will keep this post as a progress review and to keep me going when my hands are ripped to shreads from the wire mesh and ive got blisters from the screwing and sawing lol... wish me luck, never built a shed before.:lol:

My wood and mesh will be arriving, hopefully tomorrow so i can make daisy her new house. She is in a plastic greenhouse with the inside meshed at the minute because of the break up with pixie. Everytime i see her in that 6ftx4ft greenhouse i feel guilty. Its getting warmer now and i scared of her getting too warm.
We want to save as much money as possible with 8 spays/neuters we have to do, so im just going to build a shed and aviary myself. It wont be anything special but im using all the available space we have. The shed will be 6ft wide and 5ft deep and the aviary will be 6ft wide and 6ft deep. Both will be 6ft high. To give them more space im going to put levels and stuff in the she and aviary like ive done with the other, just not as much or as extravagant. I will keep this post as a progress review and to keep me going when my hands are ripped to shreads from the wire mesh and ive got blisters from the screwing and sawing lol... wish me luck, never built a shed before.:lol:

I hope it goes well :) I think you are very brave to attempt such a project, but we've seen the impressive results of your previous building works. It sounds great and I look forward to reading updates.

I presume you have seen this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...uild-a-new-shed-step-by-step-piccies-included I found this amazing :love:

It sounds amazing and I will look forward to seeing your updates.

I'm always full of all these great ideas for our rabbits but rarely put them into action. Last summer, my dh and I did board the inside of our rabbit shed and create a mesh / wood partition and door just inside. We're pretty proud of that :) x

thanks omi, yeah its not going to be on that level of expertise lol.. its going to be more like a box with a door and catflap and an aviary attached. crispyclaret has amazing skills. Plus i only had £250-£300 to work with and that includes the 6ftx6ft aviary so this will be a mega budget version for strapped for cash bun owners lol... Anything will be better than her tiny plastic house.

I hope it goes well. After my hand got gashed on weldmesh when we were making a run, I started wearing thin gardening gloves for a bit of protection:thumb:

thanks omi, yeah its not going to be on that level of expertise lol.. its going to be more like a box with a door and catflap and an aviary attached. crispyclaret has amazing skills. Plus i only had £250-£300 to work with and that includes the 6ftx6ft aviary so this will be a mega budget version for strapped for cash bun owners lol... Anything will be better than her tiny plastic house.

My skills are not amazing but I appreciate the thought.
Yours will be brilliant because its your own design and work, plus you are building it with a more worthwhile purpose in mind. Mine is to be used as a workshop and storage, hence somewhat over built and twice as expensive as I had budgeted for. I forgot to account for how much my brother in law tells porkies about costs. For example, i needed a part for my car today, he points me where to go and says it will be £6, naturally it cost £12. His shed estimate was around £350, I should have known it would skin me.
Have fun and I cant wait to see your new bunny home.

How is your project coming along? Look forward to seeing pics, I'm sure daisy will love it :)

ive finished building the shed and aviarynow, and bonded the 2boy babies digby and devon with daisy and they have moved in together now. Ive not painted it yet though because I'm waiting until the boys are neutered in 3 weeks and they stay in the house. The paint can fully dry then.They have sprayed we all over it the little ******* lol.. will post pics when ive painted

ive finished building the shed and aviarynow, and bonded the 2boy babies digby and devon with daisy and they have moved in together now. Ive not painted it yet though because I'm waiting until the boys are neutered in 3 weeks and they stay in the house. The paint can fully dry then.They have sprayed we all over it the little ******* lol.. will post pics when ive painted

Crikey well done WS :D

All this bonding and building sounds like a full time job x

Its exhausting lol.. bella is being spayed on the 14th and digby and devon are having their pre op check for spaying on bellas 3 day check so its all spays and neuters now. Im getting the 4 girls done all together after that then they are all done. im going to do a little bun house tour video when its all painted. Digby and devon have sprayed everywhere with wee so it looks so messy at the minute.

Sorry I missed this.
Bet it looks amazing. Can't wait to see the tour video.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Its exhausting lol.. bella is being spayed on the 14th and digby and devon are having their pre op check for spaying on bellas 3 day check so its all spays and neuters now. Im getting the 4 girls done all together after that then they are all done. im going to do a little bun house tour video when its all painted. Digby and devon have sprayed everywhere with wee so it looks so messy at the minute.

Such a busy time. Look forward to seeing photos of your efforts x

After building this a year ago today I'm only just getting around to painting it because I was in a rush last year to get the 2 boys away from the unspayed girls and bond them with daisy.
Well we had a major leak in the roof so the roof to both the shed and the aviary on daisys and the roof on pixies aviary had to all come off and be fixed.
I jet washed everything and pulled all the lino and carpet out so I could really dry out.
Today I finally get to paint it all.
I will try to post some pics when I'm done.

I'm still painting the bloody thing. This ronseal fence plus has had 3 coats and because I'm doing two colours it's taking forever. My thick plywood has come so I can do the floor when I've finished painting.
I'm aching from head to toe and still got to do another coat of blue, fit the floor, and lino and carpet floor and shelves.

I'm still painting the bloody thing. This ronseal fence plus has had 3 coats and because I'm doing two colours it's taking forever. My thick plywood has come so I can do the floor when I've finished painting.
I'm aching from head to toe and still got to do another coat of blue, fit the floor, and lino and carpet floor and shelves.

Oh crikey, what a job ... And have you got the heatwave too? :shock:

Oh crikey, what a job ... And have you got the heatwave too? :shock:

Yeah lol... It's been no fun. I'm hoping the painting is finished today and to at least get the shelves up in the aviary. That's the goal anyway.
It's hard when you have buns loose in the garden and then the dogs want to come out for a wee lol..

Yeah lol... It's been no fun. I'm hoping the painting is finished today and to at least get the shelves up in the aviary. That's the goal anyway.
It's hard when you have buns loose in the garden and then the dogs want to come out for a wee lol..

A constant juggling act.

I don't know whether you had the storm and rain that we had overnight, but it's blisteringly hot here today so I hope your paint dries quickly and you can get finished x

Back