• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Black Nails

Time to bit the bullet and cut Jodies nails. She has been living indoors and not wearing them down so I have to do the deed!

Any advice on finding the quick in black nails?

Tamsin said:
A torch, if you shine the light through you should be able to see :)

Tam

Hehe. Me and what army? Jodie is a first class nut case. I don't think I can hold her, a torch and the clippers. BUT good idea for a nice normal black rabbit.

I'll hold the torch for the vet :wink:

I had this problem with one of my buns.

As I've got poor eyesight I enlisted my OH to cut nails while I held the bun.

The poor man was terrified of cutting to much off. Thankfully the bun remained calm and splodged out on the table while his beauty treatment was being carried out! :)

Louise

If there isn't a helpful assistant then it might be better roping in the vet :) If you do try yourself have some cornflower handy as a pinch of that will stop the bleeding if you nick the quick.

You could try juggling to torch & the bunny to get an idea of where the quick is and then try the clipping.

Tam

I can never cut close enough. I'm too much of a coward. My vet does it for free if I ask nicely at the end of an appointment for something else. Otherwise, it's a two person job in my household. I hold the bunny and the torch and close my eyes while my OH does the deed.

I do find my bunnies struggle less if we sort of pin them to the kitchen counter on a tea towel. I sound so cruel. :? But I think the combination of being high up and in an area they're unfamiliar with helps keep them from wriggling so much.

Back