• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matting for shed - Vet bed?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I've been concerned that my pair of rabbits living in the rabbit shed are finding the Lino floor quite slippery. Particularly when they get excited about food coming. I'm worried they could injure themselves.

Does anyone have any recommendations of types of matting that you might have used yourself please?

I've looked at rubber type stable matting, but most of the reviews say that the strong rubber / chemical smell usually remains. Which could be quite overpowering in the shed.

I've purchased vet bed in the past (for a different reason) but it had a material backing which got chewed. Has anyone used rubber backed vet bed?

We have covered the entire floor in hay before, but that means they stop using the litter trays and go all over.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance x

I guess it depends on your bunnies but mine love peeing on vet bed rather than anything else so that option wouldn't work for my bunny family. I've nothing constructive to suggest. I'm trying my indoor bunnies out on cork tiles in the near future but they aren't big chewers (hope I've not tempted fate saying that)

Hi all,

I've been concerned that my pair of rabbits living in the rabbit shed are finding the Lino floor quite slippery. Particularly when they get excited about food coming. I'm worried they could injure themselves.

Does anyone have any recommendations of types of matting that you might have used yourself please?

I've looked at rubber type stable matting, but most of the reviews say that the strong rubber / chemical smell usually remains. Which could be quite overpowering in the shed.

I've purchased vet bed in the past (for a different reason) but it had a material backing which got chewed. Has anyone used rubber backed vet bed?

We have covered the entire floor in hay before, but that means they stop using the litter trays and go all over.

I got some offcuts of vinyl flooring and the buns find it fine. I have lined my boarding facilities with it, and it's non slippy and also waterproof. I have also used Ikea rugs all over the place and they seem to work quite well (but watch for chewing)

Some people have used stable matting/rubber matting and found it good too. Especially to prevent sore hocks :)

You can get textured / non-slip lino (eg for wet rooms) which may be better in a shed.
There are several types of horse matting - have you got a local supplier so you can go and see (smell) some?
I have used a thin ribbed rubber matting in the van and dog crates. The smell wore off quite quickly - and I hate any new plasticy smells.

This is the type I got:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-RIBB...hash=item19cdebfe40:m:ms9pKc0aV-6bmVS4VGKnmeg

It is useful in some situations but is hard to clean bits out of the fine ribs - so I wouldn't use it in a shed unless it was very easy to brush it out (in the direction of the ribs), or vacuum regularly. Something similar with a different surface design (eg wider ribs) would work.

I used rubber matting in my sheds- it's actually used conveyor belt matting. I got some of it free and it was very cheap anyway because it is used. The used side was a bit scratched but the other side was as new. It's flat and easy to clean, and more grippy than vinyl flooring. I don't know if you can get any from anywhere near you? It is about 1cm thick, extremely hard wearing, and didn't smell :thumb: Vetbed would be ok with some bunnies, but when I had my quad they would wee on anything soft, and or chew it!

I used rubber matting in my sheds- it's actually used conveyor belt matting. I got some of it free and it was very cheap anyway because it is used. The used side was a bit scratched but the other side was as new. It's flat and easy to clean, and more grippy than vinyl flooring. I don't know if you can get any from anywhere near you? It is about 1cm thick, extremely hard wearing, and didn't smell :thumb: Vetbed would be ok with some bunnies, but when I had my quad they would wee on anything soft, and or chew it!

That's amazing! Sounds really useful - do you use it for the goats as well Zoobec?

Hi all,

https://jrflooringdirect.co.uk/budget.html/ :D

Thank you, Jane. That could be very useful - especially as it's not far away.
Is it sad that I'm now getting really excited about lino?:lol:
Now which colour for an 8' hutch??????

Any kind of soft stuff like carpets, rugs, fleece, vet bed ... gets wee'd on and chewed by my rabbits. They have lino and litter trays.

Any kind of soft stuff like carpets, rugs, fleece, vet bed ... gets wee'd on and chewed by my rabbits. They have lino and litter trays.

Yes, I think I'll have the same problem. There is Lino in there now, but it's quite old, it came with the shed (a freebie) and its super slippy.

I had thought about buying some large bath mats, which I could alternate and wash and just be prepared for the fact that they will wee on them x

Back