• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Creating a rabbit room - where to start

Sarah298

Young Bun
Hi guys :wave:

You might have seen my previous post about us having to move and having to put the rabbits outside. For financial reasons, I no longer have to move and so the rabbits are staying indoors :D. My partner and I are getting married in June, we are going away for a 3 week honeymoon and have arranged for a family member to come and stay at ours to look after the animals.

For a number of reasons but mostly because it would help our family in looking after the rabbits when we are gone, to convert our spare bedroom into a rabbit room and go back to a C&C cage for our guinea pigs too. When people are home the rabbits would be back to complete free range however because the younger rabbit LOVES digging the sofa, I don't want that extra pressure left on the family member as well as looking after my furry children :lol:

I've looked on sticky posts at examples of bunny rooms and other galleries however my mind just isn't working when it comes to where I need to start to make this enjoyable and practical for them. I have VERY limited funds because all of our money is going on paying for the wedding ATM but have seen posts about DIY toys etc. The room measures 12' 4" x 7' 4" giving it a total of 91 sq ft.

After the wedding I want to buy things from Boyles and Manor Pet Housing as I know they would love the things on there, but unfortunately right now that isn't an option.

Thanks for reading

Hi :wave:

Let your imagination run wild, I guess :) I think sometimes mine are just as happy with a cardboard box. They have balls, willow chews, seagrass toys, carrot cottages etc. Levels and hiding places are good as well as tunnels.

With regards to the actual room, we have used Lino on almost the entire floor (as we have a carpet chewer / digger) and a large mat covering the rest. We have used a divided up playpen to protect the skirting boards. The rabbits have a cage in there, but it's always open and has their litter trays and hay in.

The room is always messy lol. They do use the litter trays but there's always lots of random poos everywhere! It's my daughters bedroom, but she has a cabin bed with desk so they have lots of room. They've started going in the garden in the daytime now the weather is nicer.

I guess the keys things are plenty of enrichment, places to hide if they want to, a food and hay area and for the room to be bunny proof.

Good luck x

It depends on the rabbit really, but my bunny loves jumping on and off things, there is a wooden trunk in his room that he loves to jump on and off, I've used a fleece blanket on top to make it more comfortable and not so slippery. He loves the willow and sea grass balls, and his treat ball that I use to feed his pellets in. He has an IKEA dolls bed that he likes too, and an activity centre meant for a cat which has 2 boxes with holes in front and side on little poles, with a hammock in the middle. He likes to jump from one to the other, on top of them and also leaps across to the trunk too :lol:

like the others above have pointed out. Mine love jumping on things, we always have a large box with the ends cut out for them ro run through and hide in and a box to jump on too. You can get very creative with cardboard boxes for free, until you can get your boyles things. I also have the cat tunnels too.

Bunny rooms are the best.. And like others have said you can pretty much add anything;

Cage bottoms, and other containers for holding hay

Could use an open carrier as a hidy area?

Cardboard boxes / castles are always a winner

Although we currently have carpet, we have recently invested in some Lino which we are going to put down soon, as we want to keep the carpet to change it back one day, well that's the plan! :)

Excuse the mess sorry but here is ours if it helps at all;

Thanks for the suggestions :) my mind was literally blank when I was trying to think of what to put in but pointing out the obvious has really helped, I think I was overcomplicating it!

I've collected some cardboard boxes and have a large base of an old guinea pig run I was going to use as a hay tray/ digging tray which I haven't decided yet. I've seen in Asda they have a small childrens play tent and tunnel 2 for £10. We have a duvet on our sofas protecting them from the younger one digging and she likes to hide underneath it (And dig the sofa inners out to make nests!).. is there any way I could use the tent and tunnel maybe to make something similar for her to dig? I thought as it was all enclosed in.

Thanks again :)

Pictures of my Bunny room....

The bunny den is home made - old divan bed base and ply wood ;)

2cf69ccf4a83da55e20fa5e1d706c97b.jpg

9e2273233bb2a56d7139288990b3af5f.jpg

Ours like the different levels. They do have a dig box but it's mainly used for forage so a cardboard box with hole cut in it would work just as well :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ah Daphne I love your idea of the divan base, I've just seen a couple going for free on gumtree and with a bit of planning buying some sheet ply wood from B&Q I should be able to make a few things for them, thanks for the great idea! :D.

The older rabbit struggles to jump onto things so I'm guessing I could get a supply of sea grass balls etc and I've seen some designs on MP Housing with ramps so I'm hoping she will enjoy that and possibly just a load of boxes with holes cut in for tunnels?

You can buy ramps from amazon - you can use hook & eye or hinges to attach to the divan so has a ramp to access the top of it & can use for other items too :)

You could easily make a ramp too with some wood & roofing felt. A wooden chopping board from tesco for £2.50 would likely work.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back