• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to indoor rabbit

rhiiannonn

New Kit
Hi everyone, I've had my rabbit for almost 6 years and we've just moved to a new house where she has to be kept indoors (outside not secure enough). She has always lived outside but spent quite a lot of time inside as she likes company and fuss. The set up I have so far is a large hutch and an area penned off around it for her to hop, but would greatly appreciate any pointers for indoor enclosures. I've put hardwood down on the floor so she doesn't ruin the carpet (rented house) but I'm not sure what else I can add to make the transition smoother for her. She seems to be struggling on the floor a bit (she seems to be slipping a bit) as she's used to paving slabs which are rougher and less slippy, any suggestions of what to put down to make it easier for her to hop? I've put hay in her bedroom as normal but wasn't sure if I should put hay over the whole space? And should I get a litter tray? Also if anyone has any tips on keeping the smells at bay that would be great!
Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any replies!

Does she chew the carpet? Doughnut is free range downstairs. I have wooden floor everywhere and a rug which she shows no interest in chewing or digging on. Just wondered if she didn't you could just let her free range and bunny proof wires.
I would put carpet tiles down for her run or a bit of old carpet or maybe a rug so she doesn't go flying. Doughnut has a litter tray which is outside her hutch. I keep her hutch there so she has a Base but it's always open. My house doesn't smell only sometimes of hay. I change her litter tray twice a day so maybe that's why.

She's not been on carpet before so I'm not sure if she chews or not. If it was my house I'd just let her on the carpet but it's rented so I didn't want to risk it just in case. The carpet tiles are a great idea, thank you. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can find. I think I will invest in a litter tray, what sort of litter do you use?
Also just wanted to say, Doughnut is such a brilliant name for a rabbit :love:

Thanks she's round and sweet like a doughnut!
She's got more of a storage box which is bigger. She sometimes falls asleep in it. The hay still gets everywhere but you can fit a lot of hay in there and she can lie down in it. I wouldn't spread hay everywhere in her enclosure as it will get really messy and she will end up peeing everywhere. It's better to get her just peeing in her tray and mainly pooing where she's eating then it won't smell.
You could always let her out her pen when you're there to see if she does want to chew the carpet. Doughnut prefer lining paper so every corner in my house I've covered with plastic corner to avoid it getting ripped and nibbled!

I've had 4 house bunnies and only one has shown interest in the carpet.. Maybe try letting her out and see how she finds it? Then this might give you an idea on if she'd much prefer the carpet tiles.

Also like Cpayne has already suggested, getting a litter tray is a good start! :thumb: you'll probably find if you load this with hay your bunny will be more inclined to eat and poop! Which they are famous for! :lol:

And of course, welcome to the forum! We're a friendly bunch so please feel free to ask any other questions and advice xx

Aww bless her!
Ahh I have a spare storage box so I might try her with that and see how she gets on. Thank you for all your help :D

Right OK, it might be alright then. I've popped a spare bath mat in the run for her so she's got somewhere a bit snuggly to sit if she wants so I'll see how that goes. Yes definitely going to give the litter tray a go. She seems to have picked a corner for her toilet anyway so shouldn't be too tricky for her to be trained. Thank you very much :D

I would. I put litter one end and hay the other. Once you've sorted her area I would let her out sometimes to have a good run around when you're there. You can then see if she makes a bee line for anything. Doughnut always has a mad half hour and she slides around sometimes but always does her binkies on the rug as she runs over it!
Yes see if she chews the mat. Doughnut would more likely piddle on it lol.

Last edited:
She's not been on carpet before so I'm not sure if she chews or not. If it was my house I'd just let her on the carpet but it's rented so I didn't want to risk it just in case. The carpet tiles are a great idea, thank you. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can find. I think I will invest in a litter tray, what sort of litter do you use?
Also just wanted to say, Doughnut is such a brilliant name for a rabbit :love:

Hi, welcome :wave:

Just wanted to say I wish I'd protected our carpet and not trusted our Dottie :oops: I mistakenly trusted her and she has chewed a small patch, well I say chewed, it's possible she actually dug into it. We live in a military house so will most likely get charged for it.

We have now covered the majority of the bedroom with Lino and a large mat (which she also chews) and playpen panels around the edges to protect the skirting. I also have a few carpet tiles but tend to use them upside down, which works quite well.

She has a friend now, luckily hes pretty well behaved x

Hi, welcome :wave:

Just wanted to say I wish I'd protected our carpet and not trusted our Dottie :oops: I mistakenly trusted her and she has chewed a small patch, well I say chewed, it's possible she actually dug into it. We live in a military house so will most likely get charged for it.

We have now covered the majority of the bedroom with Lino and a large mat (which she also chews) and playpen panels around the edges to protect the skirting. I also have a few carpet tiles but tend to use them upside down, which works quite well.

She has a friend now, luckily hes pretty well behaved x

Hello :wave:

Oh dear, not good! This is what I'm a bit concerned about. The landlady put in a new carpet for the start of my tenancy so really don't want to ruin it! I'm going to try her with a few different textures and toys to see what she likes best I think :)

Hello :wave:

Oh dear, not good! This is what I'm a bit concerned about. The landlady put in a new carpet for the start of my tenancy so really don't want to ruin it! I'm going to try her with a few different textures and toys to see what she likes best I think :)

I should take a picture of all the things I've given our naughty rabbit to chew :) she has edible tunnels, balls, willow and seagrass chews, two carrot cottages etc. Yet she still prefers to chew the Lino :roll: x

Today I bought her a litter tray which she has been eyeing up suspiciously so far! Hopefully she will use it and it will make clean up a lot easier. I also made her some toys and tunnels out of cardboard but she's just chewed straight through them - this is why I don't like to buy toys for her! It seems to have kept her entertained this afternoon though so it's all good :)

Back