• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet safe paint?

I'm wanting to paint the inside of the rabbit's shed but worried about paint and whether it's safe. I literally have no idea what is and isn't safe to use when it comes to this, can anyone help? :oops:

I Facebook messaged Cuprinol about their paints, as i too was looking to paint the inside of their new shed, however they said it's not safe at all for animals because of the chemicals inside - I asked about the Garden Shades and they said again it's not animals safe :/

I Facebook messaged Cuprinol about their paints, as i too was looking to paint the inside of their new shed, however they said it's not safe at all for animals because of the chemicals inside - I asked about the Garden Shades and they said again it's not animals safe :/

That's strange - their Garden Shades always used to be advertised as animal safe and lots of us have used them to paint our hutches/runs.

From their website: "Believed to be safe, once dry, for use on wood which pets, wild animals and birds come into contact or gnaw." The FB reply sounds like backside-covering to me :)

My Husband has just built my 2 rabbits a Run and we have used Cuprinol Garden Shades forget me nots which is blue and it looks Fab the man in house said it was very safe for animals I also phoned up and spoke to them myself xx Happy painting

I used Cuprinol Garden Shades for my guinea pig's hutch and although they chewed some of the paint-covered wood they never had any issues because of it x

TBH as CrispyClaret has proven, it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you air the drying stuff well they won't chew enough of it for it to worry them, and if they do then it'll be the wood pulp that does for them more than the paint in all likeliness.

Thank you everyone, we got Cuprinol in the colour willow for the outside and love it! No problems :) For the inside I've bought some white paint from elsewhere but made sure it had the same ingredients as the Cuprinol x

That's strange - their Garden Shades always used to be advertised as animal safe and lots of us have used them to paint our hutches/runs.

I was in my local paint shop today and the man who runs it told me Cuprinol shades have changed their formula to compete with ronseal garden paint. the new formula paints metal and masonry too.

"I'm afraid not Jennifer, as none of our coatings are suitable for rabbits. They can be used on the outside of the enclosure, but not internally or on the floor. I would recommend using pet-friendly products only to avoid any risk of them being harmed.Helen."

That's what they told me via Facebook :)

I will be using their paint to do my bunnies new shed, My bunnies bungalow is painted in their paint as well, but they haven't eaten any of it - luckily!

I asked them because i was looking at using their waterproof paint to protect the shed floor, but after their response i'm not too sure now :/

Thank you for letting us know that Sharpie, I too had thought that Garden Shades were safe.

I'm planning to paint my new shed in the next few weeks. Thinking of trying Lakeland paint or woodstain. http://www.lakelandpaints.co.uk/advice/wood-stain-varnish-colours/?sl=en. I've been told by telephone that are organic and entirely safe for bunnies to chew. As they are water based I'm not sure about how much they protect the wood from rain but apparently they are designed to inhibit mould and algal growth.

In the past I used one of these. Took ages to dry but works. http://www.organicnaturalpaint.co.uk/wood-finishes/natural-exterior-wood-finishes/

Thank you for letting us know that Sharpie, I too had thought that Garden Shades were safe.

I'm planning to paint my new shed in the next few weeks. Thinking of trying Lakeland paint or woodstain. http://www.lakelandpaints.co.uk/advice/wood-stain-varnish-colours/?sl=en. I've been told by telephone that are organic and entirely safe for bunnies to chew. As they are water based I'm not sure about how much they protect the wood from rain but apparently they are designed to inhibit mould and algal growth.

In the past I used one of these. Took ages to dry but works. http://www.organicnaturalpaint.co.uk/wood-finishes/natural-exterior-wood-finishes/

Just an update but I'm loving the Lakeland woodstain, I bought the walnut one. Totally waterproof, no VOCs, exactly what I was looking for.

Back