• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerns and confusion over minimum space requirements for a house rabbit.

I also just wanted to add, on the flip side of this, that I have a clutch of rabbits and only one is an accommodation that would be acceptable for a rescue to adopt to. That doesn't mean I'm a bad owner, or I'm not caring, or my rabbits are suffering or better off with someone else. It just means that when I next come to adopt, I am going to need to make some major changes in order to welcome a new bunny into my warren, and I'll be more than happy to do that, when/if the time comes to it.
This makes me feel a little better!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is a really interesting thread. I can see both sides but on balance, I totally understand where the rescues are coming from. If they don't totally insist on minimum sizes, who would? Pet shops don't, breeders mostly don't. I'm not anti pet shops, some are really trying to up their standards, but rescues (mostly) are the only ones who try to 'force' the minimum.
I have had many rabbits over the years. I've got them from all places, but 1 of my current rabbits, Piper, was from gumtree. He was advertised 'haven't got time for him anymore, got a new puppy' blah blah, so I believe I rescued him. He was in a tiny hutch, in a shed, no run, no HAY even! Now he's free range in a shed, neutered, vaccinated, with 2 wifebuns and an attached 11x6 run. So, my view, for what it's worth, rescues should be so strict, they need to stay true to their ethos. But if you believe you can provide a good home for a rabbit, there are plenty of poor bunnies on gumtree that equally deserve rescuing as some have already said. I've had to stop looking on gumtree, can't bear it and I've already got 5 buns. Lol.

I think for me it's lack of trust in people, if an adoptee isn't prepared to guarantee 24/7 access to a suitable predator proof, rabbit safe space as recommended by the Rabbit Welfare Association, what else won't they do? Will they stop feeding hay, not have the rabbits vaccinated or perhaps not seek veterinary attention if needed. The space is a basic requirement the same as the other things....
We had someone say they were going to pets at home as it was easier than completing a form today.

Personally, I feel sorry for the rabbits they purchase as the lack of willingness to invest time and therefore commitment in any pet is obvious. I didn't say this of course and suggested other rescues they might wish to try etc.

If people are experienced enough to rescue from gumtree or the like and have enough money to pay for unexpected vets fees, neutering costs then I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, but we see 100s of cases each year where well meaning people do this an then can't handle the behavioural issues or veterinary bills and then want to pass the commitment and expense of the rabbits on which is frustrating.

Last edited:
Of course rescues have to have minimums to adhere to, they often have very ill and neglected bunnies pass into their care. They spend money, time and emotion on these bunnies, they aren't going to want them just ending up in a less than adequate space.

However, it is of course impossible to know whether people are being truthful or not. If I were to adopt another rabbit I would have no accomodation to show, I would say that my rabbit would be 100% freerange in the house but I could be lying! It's just one of those things whereby rescues would have to just trust me.

I personally feel that if you cannot provide at least the minimum space for a rabbit then you shouldn't get one. Rescues should have strict requirements for an animal who does need a lot of space.

Back