Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Teddy has ec affecting bladder

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Yes I find it very difficult to be up early and functioning on 4 hours sleep (or rest even)

I shall look at your post and give it my best (might be a bit later though!). I'm taking calls regarding my boy who has suspected liver lobe torsion at the moment, so apologies if I'm a bit distracted. We love this boy to bits and he's very poorly and we really don't want to lose him.

He won't be coming home yet, but thanks for your wishes
    Oh no, so sorry You must concentrate fully on your your own rabbits at times like this. Fingers tightly crossed.

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Repeat bloods may be useful given that Molly suggested that Teddy my be bordering on renal failure. A repeat test would give an indication of as to whether his renal function is deteriorating further. If another urine test were to be taken the a sample obtained by cystocentesis may provide a more accurate result

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...sis_Rabbit.htm

I would speak with the Vet about trying the Phenylpropanolamine, although the Vet may want to await the blood test and urinalysis results first.

An Xray would show if there is any evidence of bladder sludge/stones and/or kidney stones.
    Thanks for reply.

Teddy has had an x-ray around the same time as bloods, urine etc, which didn't indicate anything untoward other than Molly's comment that there might be a suspicion of renal failure in the future (something like that). He has had bladder sludge in the recent past.

He has actually improved from say, 3 ish months ago, when he had the awful sludge and was peeing like a fountain

Will email vet with suggestions from this thread, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Oh no, so sorry You must concentrate fully on your your own rabbits at times like this. Fingers tightly crossed.

That's really kind of you Cara. OH loves this rabbit more than life itself

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Right, I have a small gap in bunny updates so I shall attempt a reply Cara

I don't know whether Teddy is insured, or whether cost is no object, but if I could afford to, I would repeat the blood test. It will at least show the direction that things are going in, or if they are pretty stable right now.

Testing a urine sample would also be a good idea. I would suggest the vet manually expressed the bladder:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...dderRabbit.htm

I personally wouldn't go for cystocentesis as I've known of the damage it can potentially cause, and Teddy doesn't need more problems!

Sending the urine off to the lab would be my preferred option
    No, no insurance and like most of us, money is always an issue. But ... I will do what needs to be done.

Thank's Mighty-Max

Alpha Buck

Sorry for yet another post,

Teddy has been quite dry this afternoon Am once again dithering whether to do another week on Baytril (Jack's-jane suggested another week if improved). Cannot say for sure improved, but 'think' he might be?

Is this enough to request another week though?

Sorry for yet another post,

Teddy has been quite dry this afternoon Am once again dithering whether to do another week on Baytril (Jack's-jane suggested another week if improved). Cannot say for sure improved, but 'think' he might be?

Is this enough to request another week though?
    I'd run it by the Vet and see what she thinks. With UTIs it is not at all unusual for abx treatment to need to be continued for 14+ days as often the core of infection is deep within the bladder wall.

As Teddy has a history of bladder sludge I do wonder if there may be some recurrence of this. The intermittent wetness is something that often occurs in cases of 'bladder sludge'.

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I'd run it by the Vet and see what she thinks. With UTIs it is not at all unusual for abx treatment to need to be continued for 14+ days as often the core of infection is deep within the bladder wall.

As Teddy has a history of bladder sludge I do wonder if there may be some recurrence of this. The intermittent wetness is something that often occurs in cases of 'bladder sludge'.
    Thanks Jane, I will see what the vet says. Always helpful to have another opinion from here as well

No, no insurance and like most of us, money is always an issue. But ... I will do what needs to be done.

Thank's Mighty-Max

You're welcome

Regarding little Teddy, I would ask the vet about the Baytril. Do you have a good vet? Mine listens to me and takes on board everything I suggest and checks it out. She also doesn't charge me the earth for doing so!!

Alpha Buck

I think we perhaps all have one vet at a particular practice who we prefer (if we are lucky). Generally she is open to suggestions and if unsure about something I have said, then she will do a bit of research and also seek a more expert opinion if necessary.

I have communicated via email which can be quite helpful at times as well. There is one vet there who I would avoid, simply because I don't feel he is particularly a rabbity person! And he is not overly a people person, at least with me. Maybe if I had a dog etc, he may well be the person I went to in that instance!

So the vets have just called me back and they have another weeks Baytril for me. Teddy will be delighted (not) as will my husband as he is the one to administer it

Alpha Buck

Teddy is still very much up and down.

Made an appointment yesterday and actually wondered if I should cancel, because he seemed quite well and dry. However, my vet is concerned that overall, we haven't made progress. Somewhere in the conversation, in my recollection of the consultation, I think I recall references to 'end of life' (though not explicitly). I was very despondent.

Her suggestion is that I take Teddy to see Molly Varga (Rutland House) for an expert consultation which I am very up for.

This morning has not been a good one. Teddy was wet and shifting a little, from foot to foot. But again, he was eager for the doors to be opened and to have breakfast. In himself, he is ok. But he does have the very awkward looking leg (which I had told the vet, but it must have been the first time she has seen it, as she exclaimed 'look at his leg' yesterday). Although the awkward leg is not apparent when he is on the move, it can sit awkwardly outside his body, if you like, when he is static.

I am monitoring Teddy, but his pee problem do seem to deteriorate overnight and then improves over the course of the day. I will see how he gets on today.

So all in all, not exactly brilliant.

MightyMax, how is your rabbit with the liver problem?

Jack's-Jane, those puppy pads are a godsend. Much better shape than the ones I was using - yours are oval, rather than my square (ish) ones, which sit perfectly on his sitting platform