Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Teddy has ec affecting bladder

I'm pleased you got some answers and things are improving anyway. I'm surprised your vet hasn't just started him on the next dose, hopefully Molly refers back soon to get him completely well. At least the metacam is doing the trick since he's happier.

Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Not started yet.

Last one (only one) finished a good few weeks ago. Just waiting for feedback from Molly, via my vet.

I am assuming the liquid, apart from being easier - for me! - to dispense, will be more economical?

I'm glad your getting advice from Molly. Panacur is a fairly safe drug, but there have been noticeable side effects, so an expert's go-ahead is what I would want too
    Last edited by MightyMax; 18-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Alpha Buck

About half way through a Panacur course and Teddy is still incontinent and wet

I am wondering if it is worth asking the vet for some Baytril in case he has a urine infection?

At this stage I am willing to try anything as it's not going at all well ... urine scald and trying to keep,on top of it all.

About half way through a Panacur course and Teddy is still incontinent and wet

I am wondering if it is worth asking the vet for some Baytril in case he has a urine infection?

At this stage I am willing to try anything as it's not going at all well ... urine scald and trying to keep,on top of it all.

Has your vet discussed all the possible causes of incontinence?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...continence.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditio...y_incontinence

Alpha Buck

Thanks for the links.

Teddy's incontinence very much comes and goes, but is staying at the moment. And, yes, he has had various investigations including a bladder x-ray.

He has had sludge fairly recently, but that seems not at problem at the moment. His rear end is weak which won't help matters. A second opinion by Molly Vagra (sp?) did indicate that she thought hint of the beginning or arthritis and possibly renal failure (groan), but my vet said she wasn't overly concerned herself at this stage.

I suspect there is a lot going on, apart from EC and that Teddy is older than first thought (it really doesn't help matters when you don't have a proper age!). In the past, he has a baytril which has cleared up an episode, so I thought it would be worth a try?

Thanks for the links.

Teddy's incontinence very much comes and goes, but is staying at the moment. And, yes, he has had various investigations including a bladder x-ray.

He has had sludge fairly recently, but that seems not at problem at the moment. His rear end is weak which won't help matters. A second opinion by Molly Vagra (sp?) did indicate that she thought hint of the beginning or arthritis and possibly renal failure (groan), but my vet said she wasn't overly concerned herself at this stage.

I suspect there is a lot going on, apart from EC and that Teddy is older than first thought (it really doesn't help matters when you don't have a proper age!). In the past, he has a baytril which has cleared up an episode, so I thought it would be worth a try?

I agree with you, Baytril may well be worth a try Cost effective and non-invasive.

When you say possibly renal failure, he hasn't had blood test to confirm that, has he?

Thanks for the links.

Maybe your Vet could have another word with Molly re the blood test results that Molly felt might indicate that he is bordering on renal failure ? Perhaps Molly may suggest running the blood tests again in the coming few weeks to see if there have been any significant changes. It might be a good idea for the Vet to send off another urine sample too. He/she could start Teddy on Baytril until the urine test results come back. Those are the things I'd want my Vet to do anyway

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I agree with you, Baytril may well be worth a try Cost effective and non-invasive.

When you say possibly renal failure, he hasn't had blood test to confirm that, has he?
    He has had blood tests (fairly recently). It didn't confirm renal failure but I got the impression Molly suspected it might be on the cards so to speak. My vet looking at the overall results didn't think we need worry at the moment.

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Maybe your Vet could have another word with Molly re the blood test results that Molly felt might indicate that he is bordering on renal failure ? Perhaps Molly may suggest running the blood tests again in the coming few weeks to see if there have been any significant changes. It might be a good idea for the Vet to send off another urine sample too. He/she could start Teddy on Baytril until the urine test results come back. Those are the things I'd want my Vet to do anyway
    I am fearful of hearing bad news, like renal failure. What would be the benefit of knowing (dumb question, I am sure). As in, what could be done for Teddy if this was the case?

I am fearful of hearing bad news, like renal failure. What would be the benefit of knowing (dumb question, I am sure). As in, what could be done for Teddy if this was the case?
    Whilst chronic renal failure cannot be cured there are various treatments that can help support the kidney function and thus keep the Rabbit feeling 'well' for longer. Some dietary changes and fluid therapy can also be of benefit.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...lLagomorph.htm

Hopefully you will be able to download this pdf file by copying and pasting it in to your web browser

file:///C:/Users/USER/Downloads/urinary-tract-diseases-in-rabbits-diagnosis-and-treatment-methods.pdf